Sarcastic Anti Commentary

This is a discussion on Sarcastic Anti Commentary within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Rather sarcastic Anti Commentary, from Texas. Kelso: Don't like how the Legislature votes these days? Shoot COMMENTARY: John Kelso Texas: It's a whole 'nother shooting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarcastic Anti Commentary

VIP Member

Sarcastic Anti Commentary

Rather sarcastic Anti Commentary, from Texas.

Kelso: Don't like how the Legislature votes these days? Shoot

COMMENTARY: John Kelso

Texas: It's a whole 'nother shooting gallery
    Friday, April 03, 2009

The economy might not be, uh, booming, but Texas soon might be booming literally because of all the spots the Texas Legislature wants to let you pack heat.

Still, I can think of several places other than your favorite watering

Take the gallery at the Capitol. They don't call that guy at the door of the House the Sergeant-at-Arms for nothing.

And what's good for the goose is good for the gooser. If you let guns in all over hell and gone, why should our lawmakers be left out of their own stew? If you allowed people to bring their pistols into the gallery, some of these bills might get shot down in a more colorful way.

Or as they say in the western movies, "Boys, look at the dude. Dance, dude." Let's see some hip-hop outta them loafers.

And speaking of the movies, why not let guns into the multiplex? Instead of the message on the screen being, "Please silence your cell phones," it would be, "Please use your silencers."

Or, how about letting guns into the Alamo down in San Antonio? What a tourism bonus. We might get a surprise reenactment every day.

Then there's those college football games. A Senate committee unanimously approved a measure to let guns in bars. And on Monday, a House committee heard testimony on letting guns on campus. Last time I looked, Royal-Memorial Stadium was on, you got it, the University of Texas campus.

If you can bring a gun in a bar, you ought to be able to bring one into Royal-Memorial. You ever been in that place? Some of those fans have been drinking. Then there's those bad calls. Go ahead, zebra, make my day.

You can say one good thing about the Legislative proposal to allow guns in Texas bars, though. It could lead to some creative promotional mottos.

Take Austin's Warehouse District , home of several popular drinking establishments. How's this for a bumper sticker for the Warehouse District? "Bring Your Glock 21 to Block 21 ."

'Course, if they let guns in bars, you'd have to be careful about telling the bartender, "Give me another shot." And speaking of shots, the guns-in-bars rule would be a real shot in the arm for the sign business.

Under the proposal, a person with a legal handgun will be able to bring it into a bar as long as there's no sign posted that forbids it. So all the sane bar owners in the state who didn't have such a sign would go buy one.

And all the bar owners who didn't post such a sign would be on lithium.

So here's a general state tourism motto: Living in Texas is a blessin', 'cause we all totin' Smith & Wesson.

Then again, how about guns on the Superman Krypton Coaster at Six Flags Fiesta Texas ? Mr. Six , meet Mr. Six Shooter.

John Kelso's column appears on Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays. Contact him at 445-3606 or jkelso@statesman.com
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Just another article by a reporter that doesnt get it. The world is full of them.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    That kind of attitude is worth about as much as the paper it was printed on.

Acknowledge the stupidity and move on.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Seriously, was that guy drunk when he wrote that and his editor on vacation?

That was the most childish 'news' editiorial I have seen in years.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    The worst thing is the paper isn't even any good for wiping with!

Secondary comment:

Here in MA where it is _lawful_ for we citizens who are carry licensed to carry into bars, movie theaters, sporting arenas/stadiums, and other such places we do not have at all any of the problems that this guy fears.
    In fact honestly I cannot recall having ever read or heard of any such incident at any of these places with single exception of the mental guy who walked into a bar 3 yrs. ago and began attacking everyone with an axe. Not a gun carried in but still that's it.

All the other gun incidents at strip clubs and bars that I've read and heard of in MA have been 100% related to criminal persons (possession and carrying with no license/permit) acting criminally shooting at other persons. That is criminal.
    Civilians carrying legally as licensed in Texas are not criminals and very much tend to not be criminal minded, per the Texas govts. own statistics which track this data annually which had this writer taken a moment to investigate as much could easily find and see for himself via the Texas Dept. of Public Safety; http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis.../chl/basis.htm

Further for MA, VA, FL and other states that do allow carry in bars (MA), stadiums, movie theaters, and even state govt. buildings (VA) he could locate similar information very easily. By which he could then form an opinion as based on facts rather than supposition formed from watching 'westerns' and other irrelevant Hollywood depictions of fiction.
    To be featured as a news item this by the writer and the papers editor shows nothing but subject matter ignorance and is insulting to the readers intelligence.

This does though accurately reflect one thing. The way that many anti-gun laws and firearm ignorant people do actually think, see things, and by emotion 'feel'.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Seriously, was that guy drunk when he wrote that and his editor on vacation?

That was the most childish 'news' editiorial I have seen in years.

- Janq
    Agreed. It was like he was trying to squeeze as many one-liners into his article as possible.

There is a reason newspapers are dying and people like him are one of them

Highly reminiscent of the childish rhetoric in the newspapers prior to Florida adopting a concealed carry statute way back when... calling it the "Gunshine State."

Using the antis own twisted logic, since CCW holders are far less likely to violate laws (not just firearms laws, all laws in general), we should MANDATE that all citizens 21 and over get CCW permits, and that would reduce crime.

John Kelso must think there is a cash price that comes with the Alpha Jackass Award, or he wouldn't be trying so hard.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    This guy's an idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    John Kelso must think there is a cash price that comes with the Alpha Jackass Award, or he wouldn't be trying so hard.

He's a 'maroon'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    He's a 'maroon'...
    Yes, he is.
    He's been writing for the Statesman in Austin for a longtime, too long. The rag is very left. Austin is very left. A lot of good conservatives there but.......it's still a bastion of liberalism.
    Sometimes I remember that it's home for me and I get depressed.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

That was a comedy piece right?
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links