More Shootings Lately?

More Shootings Lately?

This is a discussion on More Shootings Lately? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Raw Data: Past Deadly U.S. Mass Shootings Friday, April 03, 2009 April 3, 2009: SWAT teams surround an immigration center in Binghamton, N.Y., where a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Shootings Lately?

More Shootings Lately?

Raw Data: Past Deadly U.S. Mass Shootings
    Friday, April 03, 2009

April 3, 2009: SWAT teams surround an immigration center in Binghamton, N.Y., where a gunman opened fire and took hostages.

A gunman walked into an immigration services center in downtown Binghamton, N.Y. on Friday, killing an unknown number of people, wounding at least six, and taking as many as 41 hostage. Here is a glance at some of the worst U.S. mass shootings in recent years:

— March 29, 2009: Robert Stewart, 45, shot and killed eight people at Pinelake Health and Rehab in Carthage, N.C. before a police officer shot him and ended the rampage.

— March 29, 2009: Devan Kalathat, 42, shot and killed his two children and three other relatives, then killed himself in an upscale neighborhood of Santa Clara, Calif. Kalathat's wife was critically injured.

— March 10, 2009: Michael McLendon, 28, killed 10 people — including his mother, four other relatives, and the wife and child of a local sheriff's deputy — across two rural Alabama counties. He then killed himself.

— Feb. 14, 2008: Former student Steven Kazmierczak, 27, opened fire in a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, fatally shooting five students and wounding 18 others before committing suicide.

— Dec. 5, 2007: Robert A. Hawkins, 19, opened fire with a rifle at a Von Maur store in an Omaha, Neb., mall, killing eight people before taking his own life. Five more people were wounded, two critically.

— April 16, 2007: Seung-Hui Cho, 23, fatally shot 32 people in a dorm and a classroom at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, then killed himself in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

— Oct. 2, 2006: Charles Carl Roberts IV, 32, shot to death five girls at West Nickel Mines Amish School in Pennsylvania, then killed himself.

— March 21, 2005: Student Jeffrey Weise, 16, killed nine people, including his grandfather and his grandfather's companion at home. Also included were five fellow students, a teacher and a security guard at Red Lake High School in Red Lake, Minn. He then killed himself. Seven students were wounded.

— March 12, 2005: Terry Ratzmann, 44, gunned down members of his congregation as they worshipped at the Brookfield Sheraton in Brookfield, Wisconsin, slaying seven and wounding four before killing himself.

— March 5, 2001: Charles "Andy" Williams, 15, killed two fellow students and wounded 13 others at Santana High School in Santee, Calif.

— Nov. 2, 1999: Copier repairman Byran Uyesugi, 40, fatally shoots seven people at Xerox Corp. in Honolulu. He is convicted and sentenced to life in prison.

— July 29, 1999: Former day trader Mark Barton, 44, killed nine people in shootings at two Atlanta brokerage offices, then killed himself.

— April 20, 1999: Students Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, opened fire at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., killing 12 classmates and a teacher and wounding 26 others before killing themselves in the school's library.

— May 21, 1998: Two teenagers were killed and more than 20 people hurt when Kip Kinkel, 17, opened fire at a high school in Springfield, Ore., after killing his parents.

— March 24, 1998: Andrew Golden, 11, and Mitchell Johnson, 13, killed four girls and a teacher at a Jonesboro, Ark., middle school. Ten others were wounded in the shooting.

— Oct. 16, 1991: A deadly shooting rampage took place in Killeen, Texas, as George Hennard opened fire at a Luby's Cafeteria, killing 23 people before taking his own life. 20 others were wounded in the attack.

— June 18, 1990: James Edward Pough shoots people at random in a General Motors Acceptance Corp. office in Jacksonville, Fla., killing 10 and wounding four, before killing himself.

— July 12, 1976: Edward Charles Allaway, a custodian in the library of California State University, Fullerton, fatally shot seven fellow employees and wounded two others.

— Aug. 20, 1986: Pat Sherrill, 44, a postal worker who was about to be fired, shoots 14 people at a post office in Edmond, Okla. He then kills himself.

— July 18, 1984: James Oliver Huberty, an out-of-work security guard, kills 21 people in a McDonald's restaurant in San Ysidro, Calif. A police sharpshooter kills Huberty.

— May 4, 1970: Four Kent State University students were killed by Ohio National Guard troops during a campus protest of the invasion of Cambodia. Nine people were wounded.

— Aug. 1, 1966: Charles Whitman opened fire from the clock tower at the University of Texas at Austin, killing 16 people and wounding 31.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just makes you wonder why so many in such a short period. *dons tinfoil hat and wanders off muttering about Manchurian Candidates*

People seeing their entire lives going down the toilet tend to do crazy thing. Given the current political and economic situation, the number of people in that demographic has increased exponantialy.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the summary. I think I'll print this off and show some family members.

I only ask two question when discussing the most recent shootings:

Where was the armed law abiding citizen? The criminal was the only one with a gun?

Doesnt sell me on control like the media wants it too. Sells me on more folks carrying.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    I only ask two question when discussing the most recent shootings:

Where was the armed law abiding citizen? The criminal was the only one with a gun?

Doesnt sell me on control like the media wants it too. Sells me on more folks carrying.
    I agree, but unfortunately my experience is that it is becoming an increasingly tough sell, even when talking to rational non gun owning people.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I agree, but unfortunately my experience is that it is becoming an increasingly tough sell, even when talking to rational non gun owning people.
    Sure, I see that too. You are correct.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

All we need is just one concealed carry permit holder to be in the right place at the right time doing the right thing, to finally garner some support for our rights and to rub reality into Obama's and his cronies faces.
    We need a Hero.
    Guns are the teeth of the people.
    Political agendas are nothing more than tooth decay.

MJK

Letter to the editor

Here's a copy of a letter I sent to the Wall Street Journal after the NIU massacre. Most of it is applicable to the Binghamton event. Feel free to modify and send it to your local paper.

ďMy sincere condolences to the victims, families and friends of the NIU tragedy.

Facts clearly demonstrate the police can not protect you if you are
    randomly targeted by a deranged individual who intends to murder six persons in less than five minutes.

N.B. The police canít protect you. The city canít protect you. The county canít protect you. Your friends canít protect you. Your family canít protect you.

Only you have a chance to protect yourself - and the outcome is not guaranteed.

To maximize your chance for survival, the correct response to a direct attack which threatens life or serious bodily harm is to commit instant, overwhelming violence on the perpetrator at the first practicable moment.

The one tactical advantage you have as a potential victim is that the
    attacker does not expect resistance. In this regard, any tool available to stop the attack should be employed. Whether it be a pistol, rifle, hammer, chair or whatever.

The objective is to survive. And there are no rules.

If you donít believe this, ask the city attorney who last week heaved a chair at Robert ďCookieĒ Thornton to stop a lethal attack in the Kirkwood, MO city council chambers.

With apologies to Jeff Cooper for my paraphrasing...these ideas may not be popular in certain circles. However, after first arranging for my survival Iíll be happy to discuss the topics of psychology and violent criminal behavior.Ē

Unfortunately when people get desparate they do stupid things.

I am sure this will be repeated more and more in the next few months/year as more people find they are at the end of their rope. I hate to say it but, I wish they would use the rope on themselves instead of innocent people in society.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Cowards,
    Have to produce a horrific situation so that they can muster the courage to off themselfs.

Angry An Additional Cause Of This Violence

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Unfortunately when people get desparate they do stupid things.

I am sure this will be repeated more and more in the next few months/year as more people find they are at the end of their rope. I hate to say it but, I wish they would use the rope on theselves instead of innocent people in society.
    The economic situation is ,of course, a major factor but some of the "Screaming Nut Jobs" on radio and TV don't help.
    They just stir up an already very unhappy pot.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Guns are the teeth of the people.
    Political agendas are nothing more than tooth decay.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Unfortunately, it has become fashionable to do this sort of thing. "I hate my life and blame all the people around me so I am going to take it out on my ex-wife, their friends, the mall, coworkers, work, school, church..." The news media gives them a tremendous amount of publicity as well.

I fear this trend will continue for the near future.

It is getting out of control. I'm afraid of the repercussions and knee-jerk reactions by the political spinners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links