Domestic Violence - 5 LEO Shot - 3 Killed - Pittsburgh (Merged X2)

This is a discussion on Domestic Violence - 5 LEO Shot - 3 Killed - Pittsburgh (Merged X2) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by JAT40 TOO MANY STRAWS ON THE CAMELS BACK!!! Starting to be really concerned about RTBA. Apparently so was the shooter....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Domestic Violence - 5 LEO Shot - 3 Killed - Pittsburgh (Merged X2)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post

TOO MANY STRAWS ON THE CAMELS BACK!!!

Starting to be really concerned about RTBA.
    Apparently so was the shooter.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

I just heard he was worried about Obama taking his Gun Rights
    Everyone is but that's not the reason he went and killed 3 cop's is it?
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    I just heard he was worried about Obama taking his Gun Rights
    Everyone is but that's not the reason he went and killed 3 cop's is it?
    I dont think so, I think a reporter took that line out of context from an interview with one of his friends. I've read a few versions of that interview now... its being spun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

God Bless the Law Enforcement Officers and their families. Not just the ones who where killed, but all of them for the service they do. They are just not paid enough for what they give. Congress and Law Enforcement should switch salaries. We KNOW Law Enforcement earns it.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

BAD: Another shooting, this time in Pittsburgh

The Associated Press: 3 officers killed in Pittsburgh shooting

I really think the Brady campaign might be behind all this

PITTSBURGH (AP) — A man opened fire on officers during a domestic disturbance call Saturday morning, killing three of them, a police official said. Friends said he recently had been upset about losing his job and that he feared the Obama administration was poised to ban guns.

Neighbors described how a quiet street in the city's Stanton Heights neighborhood turned into a battlefield with hundreds of rounds cracking through the morning air and fallen police officers lying bleeding in the street, their colleagues unable to reach them.

Three officers were killed, said a police official at the scene who spoke on condition of anonymity because was not authorized to talk to the media. Police spokeswoman Diane Richard would only say that at least five officers were wounded, but wouldn't give any other details.

Friends identified the suspect as Richard Poplawski, 23, but police would not immediately confirm his name. The gunman was arrested after a four-hour standoff, police said.

The shooting occurred just two weeks after four police officers were fatally shot March 21 in Oakland, Calif., in the deadliest day for U.S. law enforcement since Sept. 11, 2001. The officers were the first Pittsburgh city officers to die in the line of duty in 18 years.

Neighbors said the shooting began at about 7 a.m. and that two officers were shot almost immediately.

Just read this one myself. People are losing it. Alot of people are on the ragged edge right now. It isn't taking much for them to fall over it...
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

and another one using body armor. Maybe police has to revisit tactics and procedures? Not sure what they would do. Bring in an APC to serve a warrant? I already think that many cops spent too much time in their cars vs. out talking to people.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Holy crap! This is totally out of control. This society is toast, people have zero respect for human life, zero respect for the law. Unreal.

How many police have been killed this year already? Man this is getting bad.

X X
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Holy crap! This is totally out of control. This society is toast, people have zero respect for human life, zero respect for the law. Unreal.

How many police have been killed this year already? Man this is getting bad.
    Did you read the reports about how some people even paint the other cop killer as a "victim" and even as a "hero".... not only do some people not respect life, they don't respect our law enforcement officers or military personnel... I told one person at work about those 4 cops being shot dead and guess what his response was? He said "that's good."
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

This is really sad, it's close enough to me that the local news carried detailed coverage and news conferences. "Domestic disturbance" is so unpredictable and ill-defined that that LEOs were definitely at a disadvantage--ambushed here. I simply can't fathom what anyone would think they could gain in the recent whacko shoots.
    Still Clingin'

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thanks QK.

It sucks to be reading and thinking about this as I am getting ready for my shift this afternoon. I guess a dose of reality never hurt anyone.
    Ditto...prayers to the families and especially to those in the line of fire everyday.

Rick

Latest News

FOXNews.com - Shooter Wearing Bulletproof Vest Guns Down 3 Pittsburgh Officers, Upset Over Losing Job - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

PITTSBURGH — A gunman wearing a bulletproof vest and "lying in wait" opened fire on officers responding to a domestic disturbance call Saturday, killing three of them and turning a quiet Pittsburgh street into a battlefield, police said.

Police Chief Nate Harper said the motive for the shooting isn't clear, but friends said the gunman recently had been upset about losing his job and feared the Obama administration was poised to ban guns.

Richard Poplawski, 23, met officers at the doorway and shot two of them in the head immediately, Harper said. An officer who tried to help the two also was killed

Poplawski, armed with an assault rifle and two other guns, then held police at bay for four hours as the fallen officers were left bleeding nearby, their colleagues unable to reach them, according to police and witnesses. More than 100 rounds were fired by the SWAT teams and Poplawski, Harper said.

The three slain officers were Eric Kelly, 41, Stephen Mayhle, 29, and Paul Sciullo III, 37. Kelly had been on the force for 14 years, Mayhle and Sciullo for two years each. Another officer, Timothy McManaway, was shot in the hand and a fifth broke his leg on a fence.

Poplawski had gunshot wounds in his legs but was otherwise unharmed because he was wearing a bulletproof vest, Harper said. He was charged with three counts of homicide, aggravated assault and a weapons violation.

The shooting occurred just two weeks after four police officers were fatally shot in Oakland, Calif., in the deadliest day for U.S. law enforcement since Sept. 11, 2001. The officers were the first Pittsburgh city officers to die in the line of duty in 18 years.

"This is a solemn day and it's a very sad day in the city of Pittsburgh," Harper said. "We've seen this kind of violence happen in California. We never would think this kind of violence would happen in the city of Pittsburgh."

At 7 a.m., Sciullo and Mayhle responded to a 911 call from Poplawski's mother, who remained holed up in the basement during the entire dispute and escaped unharmed, Harper said.

When they arrived at the home, Sciullo was immediately shot in the head. Mayhle, who was right behind him, was also shot in the head.

"It appears he was lying in wait for the officers," Harper said.

Kelly, who was on his way home after completing his overnight shift when he heard the call for help, rushed to the scene and was killed trying to help Sciullo and Mayhle, Harper said. SWAT teams and other officers arrived and were immediately fired on as well.

Don Sand, who lives across the street from Poplawski, said he was woken up by the sound of gunfire. Hunkering down behind a wall in his home, he saw the first two officers go down and then saw Kelly get shot.

"They couldn't get the scene secure enough to get to them. They were just lying there bleeding," Sand said. "By the time they secured the scene enough to get to them it was way too late."

Poplawski feared "the Obama gun ban that's on the way" and "didn't like our rights being infringed upon," said Edward Perkovic, his best friend.

Perkovic, 22, said he got a call at work from him in which he said, "Eddie, I am going to die today. ... Tell your family I love them and I love you."

Perkovic said: "I heard gunshots and he hung up. ... He sounded like he was in pain, like he got shot."

Poplawski had once tried to join the Marines, but was kicked out of boot camp after throwing a food tray at a drill sergeant, Perkovic said.

Another longtime friend, Aaron Vire, said Poplawski feared that President Barack Obama was going to take away his rights, though he said he "wasn't violently against Obama."

Vire, 23, said Poplawski once had an Internet talk show but that it wasn't successful. He said Poplawski owned an AK-47 rifle and several powerful handguns, including a .357 Magnum.

Obama has said he respects Americans' constitutional right to bear arms, but that he favors "common sense" gun laws. Gun rights advocates interpret that as meaning he would approve of curbs on ownership of assault and concealed weapons.

Poplawski had been laid off from his job at a glass factory earlier this year, said another friend, Joe DiMarco. DiMarco said he didn't know the name of the company, but knew his friend had been upset about it.

The last Pittsburgh police officers killed in the line of duty were Officers Thomas L. Herron and Joseph J. Grill, according to a Web site that tracks police killings. They died after their patrol car collided with another vehicle while chasing a stolen car on March 6, 1991.

In 1995, an off-duty officer was shot with his own gun after he confronted a group of teenagers about graffiti. tests later showed the officer had been drinking.

According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, 133 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty in 2008, a 27 percent decrease from year before and the lowest annual total since 1960.

Poplawski had often fought with neighbors and had even gotten into fist fights with a couple, Sand said.

"This is a relatively really quiet neighborhood except for him," Sand said. "He was just one of those kids that we knew to stay clear from."

Harper confirmed police had responded to calls from the Poplawski house several times but said the incidents were still being investigated.

Rob Gift, 45, who lives a block away, said the well-kept single-family houses with manicured lawns are home to many police officers, firefighters, paramedics and other city workers.

"It's just a very quiet neighborhood," Gift said.

njr
    These incidents are predictable- a combination of economic repression through layoffs, atomization through union and community busting, fake social democracy a la the Dems...we're going to have a period of chaos and violence b/c of the "solutions" that the corporate parties and the ruling class has imposed on the society.

(Please be advised that I'm not advocating violence- it's just a predictable result of their social system).
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Bertolt Brecht, "To The German Soldiers In The East", stanza 9.

May GOD BLESS THE FAMILYS OF THESE FINE OFFICER / PRAYERS TO ALL VICTUMS
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links