Domestic Violence - 5 LEO Shot - 3 Killed - Pittsburgh (Merged X2)

This is a discussion on Domestic Violence - 5 LEO Shot - 3 Killed - Pittsburgh (Merged X2) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; By RAMIT PLUSHNICK-MASTI and DAN NEPHIN, Associated Press Writers Ramit Plushnick-masti And Dan Nephin, Associated Press Writers – 1 hr 51 mins ago PITTSBURGH – ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Domestic Violence - 5 LEO Shot - 3 Killed - Pittsburgh (Merged X2)

Shooting in Pittsburg, 3 officers killed

By RAMIT PLUSHNICK-MASTI and DAN NEPHIN, Associated Press Writers Ramit Plushnick-masti And Dan Nephin, Associated Press Writers – 1 hr 51 mins ago
    PITTSBURGH – A gunman wearing a bulletproof vest and "lying in wait" opened fire on officers responding to a domestic disturbance call Saturday, killing three of them and turning a quiet Pittsburgh street into a battlefield, police said.

Police Chief Nate Harper said the motive for the shooting isn't clear, but friends said the gunman recently had been upset about losing his job and feared the Obama administration was poised to ban guns.

Richard Poplawski, 23, met officers at the doorway and shot two of them in the head immediately, Harper said. An officer who tried to help the two also was killed.

Poplawski, armed with an assault rifle and two other guns, then held police at bay for four hours as the fallen officers were left bleeding nearby, their colleagues unable to reach them, according to police and witnesses. More than 100 rounds were fired by the SWAT teams and Poplawski, Harper said.

The three slain officers were Eric Kelly, 41, Stephen Mayhle, 29, and Paul Sciullo III, 37. Kelly had been on the force for 14 years, Mayhle and Sciullo for two years each. Another officer, Timothy McManaway, was shot in the hand and a fifth broke his leg on a fence.

Poplawski had gunshot wounds in his legs but was otherwise unharmed because he was wearing a bulletproof vest, Harper said. He was charged with three counts of homicide, aggravated assault and a weapons violation.

The shooting occurred just two weeks after four police officers were fatally shot in Oakland, Calif., in the deadliest day for U.S. law enforcement since Sept. 11, 2001. The officers were the first Pittsburgh city officers to die in the line of duty in 18 years.

"This is a solemn day and it's a very sad day in the city of Pittsburgh," Harper said. "We've seen this kind of violence happen in California. We never would think this kind of violence would happen in the city of Pittsburgh."

At 7 a.m., Sciullo and Mayhle responded to a 911 call from Poplawski's mother, who remained holed up in the basement during the entire dispute and escaped unharmed, Harper said.

When they arrived at the home, Sciullo was immediately shot in the head. Mayhle, who was right behind him, was also shot in the head.

"It appears he was lying in wait for the officers," Harper said.

Kelly, who was on his way home after completing his overnight shift when he heard the call for help, rushed to the scene and was killed trying to help Sciullo and Mayhle, Harper said. SWAT teams and other officers arrived and were immediately fired on as well.

Don Sand, who lives across the street from Poplawski, said he was woken up by the sound of gunfire. Hunkering down behind a wall in his home, he saw the first two officers go down and then saw Kelly get shot.

"They couldn't get the scene secure enough to get to them. They were just lying there bleeding," Sand said. "By the time they secured the scene enough to get to them it was way too late."

Deputy Chief Paul Donaldson, who lives nearby, was one of the first officers to arrive. He saw Mayhle by a bush to the right of the door; Kelly was in the street and McManaway, his hand injured, was kneeling beside him, yelling that Kelly needed help.

Donaldson suggested using a police van to get them. They draped a bulletproof vest on the window to protect the driver and several officers got into the van to get Kelly and McManaway.

During this time, Poplawski was somehow distracted, Donaldson said.

"We were fortunate that he didn't fire on us. I don't know why he was distracted, but he apparently didn't see us coming down to get them," he said. "It could have been worse."

Poplawski had feared "the Obama gun ban that's on the way" and "didn't like our rights being infringed upon," said Edward Perkovic, his best friend.

Perkovic, 22, said he got a call at work from him in which he said, "Eddie, I am going to die today. ... Tell your family I love them and I love you."

Perkovic said: "I heard gunshots and he hung up. ... He sounded like he was in pain, like he got shot."

Poplawski had once tried to join the Marines, but was kicked out of boot camp after throwing a food tray at a drill sergeant, Perkovic said.

Another longtime friend, Aaron Vire, said Poplawski feared that President Barack Obama was going to take away his rights, though he said he "wasn't violently against Obama."

Vire, 23, said Poplawski once had an Internet talk show but that it wasn't successful. He said Poplawski owned an AK-47 rifle and several powerful handguns, including a .357 Magnum.

Obama has said he respects Americans' constitutional right to bear arms, but that he favors "common sense" gun laws. Gun rights advocates interpret that as meaning he would approve some curbs on assault and concealed weapons.

Poplawski had been laid off from his job at a glass factory earlier this year, said another friend, Joe DiMarco. DiMarco said he didn't know the name of the company, but knew his friend had been upset about it.

The last Pittsburgh police officers killed in the line of duty were Officers Thomas L. Herron and Joseph J. Grill, according to a Web site that tracks police killings. They died after their patrol car collided with another vehicle while chasing a stolen car on March 6, 1991.

In 1995, an off-duty officer was shot with his own gun after he confronted a group of teenagers about graffiti. tests later showed the officer had been drinking.

According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, 133 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty in 2008, a 27 percent decrease from year before and the lowest annual total since 1960.

Poplawski had often fought with neighbors and had even gotten into fist fights with a couple, Sand said.

"This is a relatively really quiet neighborhood except for him," Sand said. "He was just one of those kids that we knew to stay clear from."

Harper confirmed police had responded to calls from the Poplawski house several times but said the incidents were still being investigated.

Rob Gift, 45, who lives a block away, said the well-kept single-family houses with manicured lawns are home to many police officers, firefighters, paramedics and other city workers.

"It's just a very quiet neighborhood," Gift said.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

2. Remove Ads

4th or 5th post...
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

What a little POC. He sets an ambush for police because Obama is going to take away his guns? does that make any sense to anyone else?
    Last edited by Miggy; April 4th, 2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Language workaround

cd wolf are they in different forums? cause I dont see em.

Thanks

never mind, found it under domestic violence.... Admin if ya wanna shut this one down - here is my blessing!

I just re posted as well - the name of the forum needs to be tweeked.

guy was kicked out of Marine boot camp for throwing a tray of food at a DI. Sounds like he has some deeper issues than his guns being taken away.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thanks QK.

It sucks to be reading and thinking about this as I am getting ready for my shift this afternoon. I guess a dose of reality never hurt anyone.
    yeah, I hear ya Sixto, getting ready to go in myself, just another reminder to not assume anything on any call...not even the mundane repetitive loud music/party calls

RIP my brothers

LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Here's the merged thread and yea a POC!!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...gh-merged.html
    Last edited by Miggy; April 4th, 2009 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Language Workaround
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    ...Poplawski feared "the Obama gun ban that's on the way" and "didn't like our rights being infringed upon," said Edward Perkovic, his best friend...

...Another longtime friend, Aaron Vire, said Poplawski feared that President Barack Obama was going to take away his rights, though he said he "wasn't violently against Obama."...
    And this is going to be the only thing that anyone (sheep) will remember about this. (anyway to find out if this "Perkovic" or "Vire" guy is a member of the brady bunch?)

Thoughts to the families.

Be safe to our members.
    Last edited by Sticks; April 5th, 2009 at 07:23 AM.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

The last thing the 2A community needs is conflict between Law Enforcement folks and civilians. The gun nuts (and I'm one of them) with whom I interact are hugely supportive of LEOs. This most recent travesty illustrates why we owe so much to those who serve their communities. God keep you all safe from the crazies and the crooks.

PC

VIP Member
    It's all been said.

Prayer sent.

Keep safe, all of you.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

This last two incident is going arise and bite us. This were not your typical BG with illegally obtained guns. the shooter used legally obtained and held guns. The guy was an ardent 2d Amendment advocate and had made public statements as such. He also had a very screwed up background. Incidents like this by legal gun owners and HCL/HCP holders just add "proof" to the "all guys with guns are bad guys" arguments used by our opponents. People going paranoid and going off half cocked with firearms definently don't help our efforts.
    We need to be more careful in our speech ("time for an armed revolution", "blow the scum bag away", etc) and present a less threatening posture publicly until this storm blows over. It is time for the Gray Man posture not the Wild Bunch act. If we don't present a sane, safe, law abiding look, it may be gun owners who cost us our gun rights! Use your elected reps (bug the H out of them with email and letters, organize voter blocks, etc.) to fight this thing. Walking around looking and talking bad will just swing the general public over to the Antis side and vote our rights out of existance.

"This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickock!" Matthew Quigley
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    I just heard he was worried about Obama taking his Gun Rights
    Everyone is but that's not the reason he went and killed 3 cop's is it?
    Thank you for bringing this up. It makes NO sense to me.

A guy is afraid that Obama is taking his 2nd Admendment Rights...dons a bullet proof vest and kills three LEOs??? There is another reason for this, because that one is just stupid.

Is the media building another case for restricting our 2nd Admendment rights and doesn't the media THINK about this stuff before they commit it to print??

I would love to have someone tell me how this makes sense. PLEASE.

The people who I know who are afraid of losing 2nd Admendment Rights respect LEO....heck, many ARE LEO.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    This last two incident is going arise and bite us. This were not your typical BG with illegally obtained guns. the shooter used legally obtained and held guns.
    Didn't I read he was dishonorably discharged? Doesn't that preclude him from legally obtaining weapons?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

If he was discharged before completing Basic Training (stated scenario) he would have received an Administrative Discharge not a DD. Such a discharge does not remove any of your civil rights, it only gives you a bad reenlistment code (applicable to Military only.) He most likely still held his 2A rights to purchase a firearm.

As I came home from Wally World today the Pickup Truck in front of me had two stickers on the bed shell: a big, very visible NRA sticker and alongside. a long sticker reading: "If you want my guns, you will have to pry them from my cold, dead hands." Evidently fellow gun owners do believe that taking guns away is enough reason to kill, even cops. Although I am pretty sure this individual would most likely not kill cops, he doesn't present that image to the public.

As I read these forums I have come to realize that our ego trips and big "hero" mouths are probably going to contribute to our downfall.

I do not have my male anatomy confused with my car or my gun. I drive carefully and courteously and carry my revolver concealed without making any public issues about it.

My gun doesn't make me any more right or any tougher. I am the Gray Man.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links