Two killed in Orlando area shooting range...

This is a discussion on Two killed in Orlando area shooting range... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't use that range any longer. It's been a couple of years but didn't feel comfortable. Too small, cramped, and expensive. Also not sure ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two killed in Orlando area shooting range...

I don't use that range any longer. It's been a couple of years but didn't feel comfortable. Too small, cramped, and expensive. Also not sure if anyone monitors the cameras or watches behavior. I may be wrong as have only been there to shoot twice.

2. Remove Ads

mkh
    To tell the truth, gun ranges scare me and my awareness always goes up.

Too many people there with guns and you never know if the guy next to you is a mental case or just plain careless with handling his weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    I have seen now a report that identified this as a murder suicide. Mother killed son and then herself.

very sad.
    Wow... yes, very sad.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I've seen some scary stuff at that range... I shoot there frequently - fact is I went every Friday until ammo started getting thin. When I bought the AR I moved over to the Apopka store becasue of the rilfe range...

Scary stuff indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    To tell the truth, gun ranges scare me and my awareness always goes up.

Too many people there with guns and you never know if the guy next to you is a mental case or just plain careless with handling his weapon.
    They are now saying on the local news that the killer in Binghamton had "spent a lot of time at a local range lately".

Found this article via another sites RSS feed:

Mom Kills Son, Herself At Gun Range - Orlando News Story - WESH Orlando

CASSELBERRY, Fla. -- Police said a man and a woman were killed after both were shot in the head at a gun range. Authorities said the woman, Marie Moore, 44, shot her son Mitchell Moore, 20, and then turned the gun on herself.

The fatal shooting happened inside the Shoot Straight Gun Range on U.S. Highway 17-92 in Casselberry at about 4:20 p.m. on Sunday.

Several people were firing simultaneously when the two were shot in one of the shooting lanes.

"My first thought was somebody's going crazy in here, shooting people," said Bobby Davidowitz. "I stopped, and I was thinking about hiding behind something."

Davidowitz said he looked over to find a man dead and a woman barely alive.

Casselberry police said she died a short time later.

"They were both very hyper and nervous," said Jim Copertino. "I was keeping an eye on them, actually, because it's a very small location in there. Every time they were at the line they were both at the line together. She was basically hovering on top of him."

Police said there is a history of mental illness with Marie Moore who lived in Altamonte Springs.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I live near this range and have shot there on occasion. Saw one to many dangerous things, including behavior of the employees. Just a few weeks ago I was getting repeatedly muzzle swept by one employee and a customer. Walked out, talked to the manager and left. Glad I didn't go back.......
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I always keep a firearm concealed on my person while at the range. Myself and the Rangemaster are the only ones who know as it's against range policy [not the law]. Screw policy!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmeav8r View Post
    If you are at a firing range, how would you know when 'gunfire broke out' to take off running like crazy. Somebody saw something with that remark.
    Exactly what I wondered???
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Sponsor
    I am at a loss for words. This is the range I visit monthly, matter of fact if I was not such a lazy P.O.S. yesterday I could have been there. I guess it is time to find a new place.

Feel free to PM me if you know of a nice place in the area and are inclined to share that info.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    CCW even at the gun range. I've heard of nutjobs at public ranges. Think about it, what better place to go to steal guns.
    Straight up... the worst that can happen is that the owner ask you to leave... I ALWAYS CC all places legal, even at a range because a gun store could be robbed considering guns are valuable to criminals.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Thumbs down Mon shoots son at gun range

Mom shoots Son at gun range!

From what I saw on the news video, the son was shooting at the range and she pulled out a gun and shot him in the back of the head and then shot herself.

Does anyone have this video or know anything about this? It happened in Florida.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    That is the range I shoot at, and I was debating going yesterday, but ended up going for a bike ride instead.

There are cameras in the range, and the police have the video, but I haven't seen any of it in the media yet.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

The article...

Mom Kills Son, Herself At Gun Range

Ex-Husband Says Ex-Wife Had Mental Illness History

POSTED: 10:39 pm EDT April 5, 2009
    UPDATED: 4:53 pm EDT April 6, 2009

CASSELBERRY, Fla. -- Police said a man and a woman were killed after both were shot in the head at a gun range. Authorities said the woman, Marie Moore, 44, shot her son Mitchell Moore, 20, and then turned the gun on herself.
    The fatal shooting happened inside the Shoot Straight Gun Range on U.S. Highway 17-92 in Casselberry at about 4:12 p.m. on Sunday.
    Listen To 911 Calls
    Several people were firing simultaneously when the two were shot in one of the shooting lanes.
    "My first thought was somebody's going crazy in here, shooting people," said Bobby Davidowitz. "I stopped, and I was thinking about hiding behind something."
    Davidowitz said he looked over to find a man dead and a woman barely alive.
    A series of 911 calls could not save either life, Casselberry police said.
    "They were both very hyper and nervous," said Jim Copertino. "I was keeping an eye on them, actually, because it's a very small location in there. Every time they were at the line they were both at the line together. She was basically hovering on top of him."
    In the police report, Mitchell Moore's father and Marie Moore's ex-husband told police that Marie Moore had a history of mental illness, but that he had no idea she would ever do such a thing.
    Marie Moore's ex-husband also said he thought she was banned from the range because he thought she had tried to kill herself there a few years ago.
    Shoot Straight had no comment, but police said a Baker Act was used in 2002 by Altamonte Springs police, but because of privacy policies, they will not release why. To Baker Act someone involves the person being placed into protective custody because they are a threate to themselves.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Sick lady...they seem to be taking 'numbers' lately.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links