Man shoots neighbors dogs

This is a discussion on Man shoots neighbors dogs within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If the dogs were on the man's property and threatening him or his animals, then I would think the shooting would be or should be ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Man shoots neighbors dogs

If the dogs were on the man's property and threatening him or his animals, then I would think the shooting would be or should be legal. If the dog's owners had been responsible and kept the dogs at home, this wouldn't have happened.
    NRA life member.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I've never seen a dog growl at me, that has ever attacked. So far, your theory is 100% wrong in my experience. The dogs I've seen who have attacked, neither barked nor growled..... they went for them.. period. A growl is just a warning that you are in their space and need to back off...... so , back off and don't push your luck.
    Agreed, very much.

I've been attack bitten twice by dogs and once by a cat.
    As well I've had to fend off dogs who wanted to mix it up with my own dogs.
    When ever they real deal was going down there was no growling barking warning prior. Just action and teeth.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

OK. I'm convinced. Growling dogs pose no risk. I'll shoot the dogs that aren't growling.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I'm a dog lover, and a dog owner.
    My personal opinion is that pit bull ownership should be illegal.

I now have neighbors with pit bulls--two animals across the street, and one across our back yard. All yards are fenced, but I can tell it is only a matter of time till one of those dogs gets out and harms someone. One pit bull already killed a dog that got into the yard.

Where pit bulls are concerned, I'm on the shoot first and ask questions later side of the issue because I consider them an inherently dangerous breed.
    I respect your right to your opinion, but I have to disagree about pitbulls being an inherently dangerous breed. I am the owner of a dually registered AKC American Staffordshire Terrier & UKC American Pit Bull Terrier.

In my opinion, a lot depends upon the owner being responsible, providing proper training, structure, and socialization. Also, responsible breeders not only breed for conformation, but for physical and mental soundness. What often happens (IMO) is irresponsible people who have no business breeding dogs, decide to make some money by having a litter of pups. They don't have the best interest of the breed in consideration, and don't really screen potential owners. Then, you have owners who think it's cool to have an aggressive "pit" and promote poor behavior.

What never ceases to amaze me, is neighbors who think it's perfectly OK to have their dogs outside, off leash, and have no control over their dogs. Can't say how many times I've been out walking my dog on leash only to have a neighbors dog come running across the street (usually with the neighbor shouting the dog's name) to bark & growl at me and my dog.

From dogbitelaw.com:

Any dog, treated harshly or trained to attack, may bite a person. Any dog can be turned into a dangerous dog. The owner or handler most often is responsible for making a dog into something dangerous.

An irresponsible owner or dog handler might create a situation that places another person in danger by a dog, without the dog itself being dangerous, as in the case of the Pomeranian that killed the infant (see above).

Any individual dog may be a good, loving pet, even though its breed is considered to be potentially dangerous. A responsible owner can win the love and respect of a dog, no matter its breed. One cannot look at an individual dog, recognize its breed, and then state whether or not it is going to attack.

Now, as much as I love dogs, if I were in a situation where I was being threatened by a dog and felt my safety was in jeopardy; I would not hesitate to shoot the dog.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Answer: you cannot shoot a dog because it comes into your yard, it's considered stupid and cruelty to animals... and the law is very strong here on it. She's lucky to get 90 days... it can be a felony with 5-10 yrs. If the dog is literally "attacking" (growling, etc does not count) or attacking livestock, then it's a different matter.
    I would never shoot a dog for just being in my yard. I would also never question a person that did shoot one. Who am I to say that they didn't feel threatened. Bo might be friendly to me but might put fear into my neighbors.

Attacking livestock? Around here dogs that enjoy running livestock are shot on site. The livestock is to valuable to let that happen.
    I have had dogs dig under my fence bark and snap at my rabbits. Some rabbits have died of fright without being touched. I knew the owners and they paid me but I would of had no qualms with shooting those "playfull" dogs.

Michael

VIP Member

Irresponsible???

Quote Originally Posted by Erich1B View Post
    I respect your right to your opinion, but I have to disagree about pitbulls being an inherently dangerous breed. I am the owner of a dually registered AKC American Staffordshire Terrier & UKC American Pit Bull Terrier.

What never ceases to amaze me, is neighbors who think it's perfectly OK to have their dogs outside, off leash, and have no control over their dogs.
    So, the other day I went out my front garage door. Across the street the neighbor had pulled into his drive. He had apparently taken a dog out of its cage, from the back of his SUV, placed it on the driveway, so one was totally loose while he got the second out of the vehicle. Then, of course, there were two loose in his driveway.

They were well behaved. They (thankfully) didn't run across the street to me. But, the guy had absolutely no control over those two had they not obeyed.

The neighbor (don't know him) seems like a meticulous sort and presently, as noted, the dogs seem well behaved. But, don't the owners always say it was a complete surprise; my dog never showed any aggression; they are the sweetest dogs in the world.

In Texas the owner can get a felony charge if their dog harms someone, but wouldn't it make more sense to outlaw the breed in the first place? At least within city limits?

Sorry, but there have been too many dreadful incidents. This breed need to be illegal; and perhaps the same for any excessively large and aggressive breed within city limits.

"Any dog, treated harshly or trained to attack, may bite a person. Any dog can be turned into a dangerous dog. The owner or handler most often is responsible for making a dog into something dangerous. "

I have had otherwise well behaved dogs who "escaped' and went after neighbors. Fortunately, they only nipped at the cuffs and did a bit of clothing damage. The breed makes a big difference in what kind of damage they inflict; what part of the body they attack, and whether or not they will STOP and back off.

There are just too many reports of pit bulls which have continued the attack until severe damage or death occurred.

There are large breeds which by nature are happy non-aggressive people lovers. Pits in my opinion have been at the center of too many really bad incidents.

I haven't decided yet if or how to deal with my neighbor and his dogs. I'm probably going to have to check the security camera before venturing out, and maybe owb.

Senior Moderator
    Gentlemen...
    do not let this migrate into a another PitBull's are good Pitbulls are bad discussion or it will be closed like every other Pitbull thread.

Stay on topic...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member
    I've never seen a dog growl at me, that has ever attacked. So far, your theory is 100% wrong in my experience. The dogs I've seen who have attacked, neither barked nor growled..... they went for them.. period. A growl is just a warning that you are in their space and need to back off...... so , back off and don't push your luck.
    Sorry to deflate you balloon, but I had a rat terrier bark, growl, and just show very aggressive behavior towards me, I refused to go into the customers house until the dog was secured, they had their kid come out to get the dog, and the doggy bit their kid. So it does happen.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Police say the dogs were in a neighbor's backyard. Officials say the dogs were threatening the homeowner, so he grabbed a gun and shot the two.

Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Sorry, but there have been too many dreadful incidents. This breed need to be illegal; and perhaps the same for any excessively large and aggressive breed within city limits.
    Hate to tell you this but this is the same logic people use for more gun control. Both can be missused and it is only then do you get a "dreadful" incident.

My dobergirl is the sweetest thing there is. She has a big bark but uses her bite like I use my gun, hoping to never have to inflict serious wounds with it. And no, that's not her, that's a shot from "The Doberman Gang".

I have been bitten by more dogs under 20 lbs. I have never been bitten by one over 40lb.
    Personally I think all small dogs should be banned. They are like short people, no reason to live.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    #1 dog to attack children? SPANIELS! Who knew, right?

I don't think there's enough info here either to call it a good shoot or a bad one. We don't know why they were in the neighbor's yard, we don't know the temperament of these specific dogs (I will vomit with rage if we get into "breed legislation," so let's leave it at that.), and we don't know what they did that was "threatening," or how the situation escalated to that point.

For example: I was called to evaluate an "Aggressive" Dogue de Bordeax about 18 months ago, by the owner. After 2 hours of trying every trigger I could with this sweet boy, I could NOT for the life of me, get the antisocial reaction the owner claimed. Found out after yet another hour that the reason the dog was "aggressive" was because he growled, bared his teeth, and lunged at the owner. Why did he do that? The owner casually mentioned that he was BEATING THE DOG WITH A BROOMSTICK at the time! Wait, it gets better...why was he beating the dog, you ask? Because the dog left the room when the owner yelled at him, and the owner was pissed at the dog's "arrogance." When really, all the dog was trying to do in the first place was remove himself from conflict. And when that didn't work and he got beat, he gave threatening gestures in the interest of his own self-preservation. Imagine if we called this sweet boy "aggressive" and tried to outlaw DDBs! (vomiting with rage here...)

On the other hand, if they were random, out of control dogs signaling a genuine threat, anyone would be well within their rights to shoot and protect themselves.

We need more info. And blame it on the deed, not on the breed, folks. There are no bad dogs. Just bad owners.

Bunny,
    I sincerely hope that you kicked that guys butt, and took his dog.

I hate to think that a person should have to answer to anyone for shooting an uncontrolled animal on his property. Unless there is an impartial witness saying other wise I would defer to the landowner.

The dog owner is responsible for the animals death in my opinion. The investigation is a waste of time and money as far as i'm concerned.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    Bunny,
    I sincerely hope that you kicked that guys butt, and took his dog.
    Sadly, LEGALLY, there was nothing I could do but try and convince him to place the dog with me at DDB Rescue. Since HE contacted US for the FREE EVALUATION to begin with, saying over and over how we just had to take this dog and place him in a good home that could "handle" him. (My time, apparently, is worth nothing. Literally.) Unfortunately, he sold the dog to an unsuspecting elderly couple that had never owned a dog before. I can only imagine what may happen there...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links