Ny shooting and the swat team

This is a discussion on Ny shooting and the swat team within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The news reported today that it took 2 minutes for the cops to get to the scene after the 911 call was made but after ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The news reported today that it took 2 minutes for the cops to get to the scene after the 911 call was made but after the cops got there it took 45 minutes before the swat team went into the building. Now i can understand why the swat team didnt rush right in but that just shows you that for more than "47 minutes" the people were in there waiting to be protected by the police. Now if that aint a call for more conceal carry then what is?

Also does anyone know wether the building was a no carry zone?
    ""If you dont like America than get the hell out"".

VIP Member
    What building ?. I did not hear.

VIP Member
    I may catch some heat for this but I don’t always recognize the no-carry signs unless it’s a government facility. I figure if I had to display it, then that would mean I needed to use it. If that were the case, then I would accept the trespassing violation and hopefully live to tell about it.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Saber; April 6th, 2009 at 02:32 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    What building ?. I did not hear.
    The Immigration building,some Naturalised guy lost his job,and went to the Immigration building where people take classes to get their citisenship and shot and killed at least 8 people and wounded a bunch more before killing himself
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Zachgry,

As in regard to police response time ou should take a look at the following...

Department of Justice 'Bureau of Justice Statistics'
    Bureau of Justice Statistics Home page

Criminal Victimization in the United States - Statistical Tables Index

Response time to victim

Table 107: Percent distribution of incidents where police came to the victim, by police response time and type of crime
    2006: Acrobat file (17K) | Spreadsheet (3K)
    1996-2005: Acrobat file (74K)

Table 107. Personal and property crimes, 2006:
    Percent distribution of incidents where police came to the victim, by police response time and type of crime

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstrac..._victim584.htm
    The bottom line is very clear and has been not just this year but for decade upon decade.
    It is factually near impossible for police to be on site to any given incident before it goes down and same for them to be on scene within less than 5 minutes time post happening. Never mind that those who are on site standing right there as events go down commonly also find them self reaching out to 911 for backup for their own self muchless being effective in stopping the crime from happening at all never mind continuing.

Simply if we as individuals can hold out and maintain ourselves generally for as long as 10 minutes in the immediate then we can expect and pretty much depend on the police to arrive thereafter to secure things and make reports.
    But there are always exceptions such as in this case where ~47 minutes time went by before police made a presence within the building...as the front desk woman on the phone with 911 suffering from a gut shot was in hiding bleeding out on the floor.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    dukalmighty. Thank You.

Not good.

I have not been in that specific building, but from what I'm told there is no sign that says you cannot carry. And if there is the person who told me did not see it. So far in NY the only places I've been that say "no weapons beyond this point" are county buildings like the courthouse and DMV buildings.

Jang, thanks for the info that was pretty interesting.
    ""If you dont like America than get the hell out"".

Of course it took 47 minutes, they had to send someone to buy extra 'chalk'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

However, CC permits in NY counties are hardly shall-issue. Regardless, I'm not going to say that even if NY was shall-issue they would've been ok... but it would have at least given them a chance - one they effectively don't have too much of now, or when the incident went down.

I just find it hard to believe that no one that knew this guy knew something was up. It seems to me he was a loner though; even his own family expressed surprise.

Even if just the owner or an employee had been carrying on premises, things may have been different.

And from my understanding, SWAT did not make entry because "they did not hear shots." Well, I'm not going to pretend to understand SWAT procedure, but new school thinking says in any active shooter scenario you go in an engage aggressively. Not just wait around outside and wait for every federal agency to show up, do a few press briefings, drink a few cups of coffee, talk about last week's football game, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I have not been in that specific building, but from what I'm told there is no sign that says you cannot carry. And if there is the person who told me did not see it. So far in NY the only places I've been that say "no weapons beyond this point" are county buildings like the courthouse and DMV buildings.
    In the state of GA, ALL government buildings are off limits to legally carry... The actions by the police reminds me of the VT massacre... while people were dieing they were outside figuring out what to do.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    The actions by the police reminds me of the VT massacre... while people were dieing they were outside figuring out what to do.
    Actually, the VT cops were trying to find a way or force a way into the building.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

VIP Member

Question What shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The Immigration building,some Naturalised guy lost his job,and went to the Immigration building where people take classes to get their citisenship and shot and killed at least 8 people and wounded a bunch more before killing himself

Are we talking about the Binghamton, NY shooting (See: nyhttp://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/news-good-bad-ugly/73851-bad-shooting-hostage-situation-binghamton-ny.html)?

If so it was at the American Civic Associations Building.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Communication is a wonderful thing...sounds like there wasn't much, and/or the senior person in charge did not have the authority to make the call. Regardless...always easy to throw stones, coulda, woulda, shoulda...we live in that type of society.

I wonder during Columbine, what the time was before the SWAT entered...hummmm.

Rick

Letter shows up to the media from the shooter here, Image Gallery -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links