Bad: Man shoots kids breaking into car

This is a discussion on Bad: Man shoots kids breaking into car within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just got off the phone with my dad in Rochest and was going to post this, glad I looked first. I just moved from ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Man shoots kids breaking into car

I just got off the phone with my dad in Rochest and was going to post this, glad I looked first. I just moved from Rochester NY last june, and the town of greece where this took place is where I grew up and lived for 29 years. I do not see how this guy stands a chance in court, I can see it now..."man shoots child." This is actually just what the greece police need to take some heat off of them. There are atleast 2 officers in trouble for crimes of there own right now and I believe DA Green is investigating more.

2. Remove Ads

It really does depend. I guess I'll have to wait to read more before passing judgment. Not everything is self-defense just because someone says it is. That's why the police always investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    This reminds me of something I was told by the instructor of my CCW class. You CANNOT shot someone over a property crime. There was NO life in jeopardy! This should have been a common sense decision. But some people don't have common sense!!!
    No, actually the LAW has no common sense along with the vast majority of our society anymore. Legally, yes depending on the state he was most likely in the wrong...doesn't mean he wasn't right morally. But that's an argument for another thread.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I would've shot him, too. But then again, I wouldn't live in New York, either.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I have to agree with "Know your States Laws". I live in TX, and am glad that TX has the laws the way they do. Does that mean that I will shoot someone for breaking into my car, or my home? No! Anything in my car, or home, can be replaced. A life can not be replaced. Would I shoot if I believed my life, or someone elses life, was threatened? Yep! I sure would, but don't want to! This guy, Roderick Scott, will have to live with the fact that he took a young mans life for what ever was in that car! What's a life worth?
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

The original story, let me see if I can find it, says the man walked down his driveway and across the street to confront three teenagers breaking into a car.

I got the impression it was not his car and quite away from his house.

Let me check for the story.

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S866007.shtml?cat=566

Teenager shot and killed, suspect claims he was breaking into car

A Greece man faces second degree murder charges.

Police say he shot a teenager early Saturday Morning. Greece Police say Roderick Scott believed the teenager and his two friends were breaking into his neighbor’s car. Scott says he heard noises around 3:30 a.m. He called police, grabbed his gun and went outside.

"You do not have to leave your house to take matters into your own hands that can get dangerous," said Lt. Steve Wise. "Let us take the police response rather than a citizen."

Police say Scott confronted the teenagers.

According to statement's Scott made to police, he claims one of them came towards him and that's when he fired his gun three times. By the time police arrived Christopher Cervini was dead, lying in a driveway.

"He should have known that the actions he was taking would cause someone else's death," said Wise.

The 17-year-old was a junior at Hilton High School. He was the middle child with two brothers. His mother is devastated. A family friend says he was a good kid who got into a bad situation, but he didn't deserve to die. Many people on this street agree. However, they don't believe their neighbor should be charged with second-degree murder.

"It's not like he was a vigilante going outside killing people," said Randy Shapiro. "He reacted to something he thought he heard."

Scott is being held at the Monroe County Jail without bail. His family declined to comment on the situation.

Calling hours for Chris Cervini will be held Tuesday from 4 to 8 p.m. at New Comer Funeral Home 2636 Ridgeway Ave. Funeral service will be Wednesday at 11:30 a.m. at St. Mark's Church, 54 Kuhn Road.

A family friend says he was a good kid who got into a bad situation...

He was not a good kid. He was a kid trying to steal somebody else's property. Something that somebody else had to give up a part of his life to earn. He was out at 3:30 in the morning breaking into cars, and his mother blames the shooter?

First and foremost, it is the kids fault. Second, it is his parents. There is another thread about a failed generation, and the OP mistakingly believes people think it is his own...He is wrong. There is a failed generation, but it is about 20-30 years older.

People who don't teach their kids personal responsibility and then blame the government for all of their problems. Sheesh, give me a break. I, for one, am glad the kid is gone. It probably saved me some tax dollars down the road.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In Tx you can use deadly force to stop a theft of property,so know your state laws
    I love being a Texan! (not to sound arrogant).

I'm still trying to figure out why this was marked 'bad'...The only bad thing I can figure out is that the police arrested the good guy.

Who is John Galt?

Keep us posted on what happens to this guy. Hopefully they go easy on him. He did do the people of that town a favor, after all.
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

Update

Not looking so good anymore for MR.Scott
    Teen shot in back and hand from 20 feet, prosecutor says | democratandchronicle.com | Democrat and Chronicle

Teen shot in back and hand from 20 feet, prosecutor says
    JUSTINA WANG • STAFF WRITER • APRIL 10, 2009
    Read Comments(143) Recommend (11)Print this pageE-mail this articleShare

A Monroe County court judge set bail today at $25,000 for 41-year-old Roderick Scott, who is accused of killing 17-year-old Christopher Cervini Saturday on Baneberry Way in Greece.

Prosecutors said that the teen was shot in the back and the hand, from 20 feet away, signaling that Cervini was not in a position to attack Scott, as his attorney has argued. Assistant District Attorney Julie Finocchio said that the grand jury rejected the claim of self defense during an indictment yesterday.

Scott’s attorney John R. Parrinello said he has not seen any pictures or reports that prove where the teen was shot, and that it was possible that the teenager was charging at Scott, then turned after he was shot in the hand.

In setting the bail, Judge Patricia Marks said she was aware that Scott had no criminal history, but he is accused of a serious crime.

Scott’s girlfriend, coworkers and a 17-year-old son attended the bail hearing this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    I have to agree with "Know your States Laws". I live in TX, and am glad that TX has the laws the way they do. Does that mean that I will shoot someone for breaking into my car, or my home? No! Anything in my car, or home, can be replaced. A life can not be replaced. Would I shoot if I believed my life, or someone elses life, was threatened? Yep! I sure would, but don't want to! This guy, Roderick Scott, will have to live with the fact that he took a young mans life for what ever was in that car! What's a life worth?
    While I don't know what I would do in the situation - what's a life worth, this criminal will never take one in the future - so my bet is more lives were saved than lost.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mousehunter View Post
    While I don't know what I would do in the situation - what's a life worth, this criminal will never take one in the future - so my bet is more lives were saved than lost.
    You don't??? If you carry...or even defense at home...I hope you have in your mind what you would do. In this case, BG stealing 'whatever'...would you shoot...whether his back is or isn't facing you??? If you honestly don't know, I suggest you think about it. Note...not saying what you should do.

Rick

Hey, Farronwolf...

Isn't this were you chime in and remind everyone how Texas is superior to the rest of the USA, then confuse the issue by dropping the line, "Not in Texas!" when discussing use of force rules?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links