78 Year old beaten to death in road rage (New Zealand)

This is a discussion on 78 Year old beaten to death in road rage (New Zealand) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Auckland - New Zealand: 78 year old man beaten after minor road accident, happened in front of school kids at 7:50 am in the morning ...

Thread: 78 Year old beaten to death in road rage (New Zealand)

Auckland - New Zealand:

78 year old man beaten after minor road accident, happened in front of school kids at 7:50 am in the morning on busy road. He died just a few hours ago in hospital. 27 year old uni student to appear on assualt charges and further manslaughter charges are planned pending witness statements.

[URL="http://www.3news.co.nz/News/National/Road-rage-victim-dies/tabid/423/articleID/99045/Default.aspx?ArticleID=99045"]

Stuff like this makes me realise how vulnerable we are here NZ, this could have happened to me, my partner or my own parents. The police are powerless to protect us and the justice system will give this scum bag a slap with a wet bus ticket at most. Sick

Makes me a bit scared when driving to think my G19 is locked behind 6mm of steel at home because our police view themselves as elite and are the only ones entitled to carry for self defence purposes.

99% of the time they arrive to mop up the bloody mess after a criminal has enacted his rage or murderous act on you or your loved ones. Useless absolutly 100% useless.

The USA is looking better everyday. Do Canadian citizens require work permits or green card to live and work in USA ?.

How about CCW ? how easy for Canadian with no cirminal history, and good references to get CCW in USA ? ive got an friend who is ex Special Forces who lives in IL who would provide excellent character reference.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

Sounds like in NZ the battle goes to the youngest, the strongest, or the mostest... the law of the jungle.

Too bad you just couldn't show up in the U.S. and start living here--millions of others have, with little repercussion.

No offense--I'm sure NZ is beautiful--but I won't be coming on vacation. Are you allowed to carry knives?

Wish I could help you out, heylin. Sounds like for the time being you just have to make do and get good with improvised weapons, unless you can somehow become one of the "elite" who are authorized to carry guns.

The current situation is not good for the law-abiding citizens of NZ.

No offense--I'm sure NZ is beautiful--but I won't be coming on vacation. Are you allowed to carry knives?
    Yeah knives are OK provide they are no longer than 6 inches. I believe ASP batons are also ok.

But like any SD scenario you need to be prepared to defend yourself in court when the police lay charges, and any weapon that results in injury or death to the attacker is gauranteed to land you in court.

In saying that we have millions of tourists a year to our lovely country and 99.9% of them all come and go without ever experiencing a crime.

NZ is safe and one off incidents shouldnt put people off coming here, alot of our more violent crimes take place in non-tourist areas.

Its like saying Im not visiting USA because of all the shootings and gangs in Compton, Compton isnt exactly a tourist destination.

Stick to the tourist locations, dont venture out at 1am in the morning, and avoid known bad areas and 99.9% of the time you will leave NZ safe. You have more chance of dying on our roads, thats the real killer here, swap your .45 for an NCAP 5 rated rental car :)

Although ive been driving a 1990 MR2 Turbo for 7 years and havent had an accident (touch wood)
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

Heylin,
    You can immigrate legally. Talk to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate there and see what you have to do.

Sad to hear. Manslaughter charges, eh? Around here it'd probably be something like 3rd degree murder, although he might end up getting convicted differently.

If you want to immigrate, go ahead - just be aware that its still backed up from what I hear, so if you are serious about it, go ahead and get the process going now.

However, make sure its what you want. I'm sure it'll be pretty different from your hometown. Where do you want to live? Will you be ok with our general social structure here? If you're out of work here, you lose a lot of stuff like healthcare, so will that be ok for you until you can find a job? What kind of job do you want to do here? etc. It's a lot of questions, and a lot to think about.

But if you think you can do, you can join the millions of other legal immigrants who make this country as strong as it is, and actually be able to defend yourself :)

Links