Senior citizen shoots 4, kills 1 at church retreat

This is a discussion on Senior citizen shoots 4, kills 1 at church retreat within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 4 shot, 1 dead at Calif. church retreat - Crime & courts- msnbc.com Nuns left 'very distraught' as gunman opens fire at Calif. Christian center ...

Thread: Senior citizen shoots 4, kills 1 at church retreat

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar

Senior citizen shoots 4, kills 1 at church retreat

4 shot, 1 dead at Calif. church retreat - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

Nuns left 'very distraught' as gunman opens fire at Calif. Christian center

NBC News and news services
    updated 12:24 a.m. MT, Wed., April 8, 2009
    TEMECULA, Calif. - A gunman opened fire at a remote Korean Christian retreat center Tuesday night, leaving one person dead and at least three people injured, authorities said.

Authorities were first called to the rural area about 7 p.m. after receiving reports about a man shooting his wife, California Highway Patrol spokesman Mario Lopez said.

But investigators were still trying to learn the circumstances of the shootings, and were hindered by a language barrier in trying to sort out the facts, Riverside County Sheriff's spokesman Dennis Gutierrez said.

"We have some nuns that are very distraught," he said.

NBC News reported that the suspected shooter was believed to be aged in his 70s. The identity of the dead victim were being withheld until relatives were notified.

At least two of the victims were critically injured. The gunman was also believed to be among the wounded at the Kkottongnae Retreat Camp, located at an RV camp in Temecula about 85 miles southeast of Los Angeles.

A nursing supervisor at the Inland Valley Regional Medical Center near the retreat said she had no information on any of the victims.

Officers began interviewing people at what appeared to be a triage center for injured victims, Gutierrez said, but most of them spoke Korean.

"That language barrier, that's the key to figuring out what happened," Gutierrez said.

The retreat is one of four U.S. branches of the Kkottongnae Brothers and Sisters of Jesus, a Roman Catholic organization dedicated to serving the poor and homeless. It was founded in the city of Cheongju, South Korea, by Father Oh Woong Jin in 1976.

'Flower village'
    The campground, previously used as a summer camp before the group bought it, was marked by a single white sign in English and Korean on the side of a rural winding road in remote southeast Riverside County. The retreat was a mile up a narrow road into the hills.

Kkottongnae means "flower village," according to the organization's Web site.

A woman who answered the phone at the group's Lynwood branch on Tuesday night said she did not speak English well and declined to discuss the shooting.

Deputies had evacuated the campground and blocked off access. Nothing could be seen from the main road.

Several women from the retreat sat wrapped in blankets outside the law enforcement lines.

"This is the last place this is supposed to happen," Gutierrez said. "A lot of people are shaken up."

Chang Kim of Los Angeles stood at the scene, saying his 88-year-old mother lives up the road that was blocked off. Kim said he was concerned because he could not reach her.

"My mother lives up there," he said. "I can't go there. I can't get in. I'm stuck."
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

"This is the last place this is supposed to happen,"
    I agree and disagree.

It is not SUPPOSED to happen anywhere.
    IRL, it can happen anywhere.

Wonder what 'triggered' this that a senior citizen would start shooting what were probably not loud and obnoxious people? Wonder if we'll ever get the whole story (not that we'll understand, even if we do).
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Just another 'impossible to understand' incident to add to the already growing 2009 list.

Sad days...and were only in April...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"This is the last place this is supposed to happen."- Riverside County Sheriff's spokesman Dennis Gutierrez
    Question...So at what place is/was this supposed to happen?

I'd very much like to know so that I can add that to the places in life where I will choose to not go.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Question...So at what place is/was this supposed to happen?

I'd very much like to know so that I can add that to the places in life where I will choose to not go.

- Janq
    Right?

Who are these officials making these statements?
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    Who are these officials making these statements?
    Morons.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links