Another pirate thread, this one makes me grin

This is a discussion on Another pirate thread, this one makes me grin within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by NosaMSirhC 64zebra: President just declined several times to answer questions on this situation saying he wanted to stay focused on the housing ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another pirate thread, this one makes me grin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NosaMSirhC View Post
    64zebra: President just declined several times to answer questions on this situation saying he wanted to stay focused on the housing crisis

64zebra I just about fell out of my chair when I read that on Reuters! An American citizen being held hostage by Islamic militants and he has no comment! Imagine that and especially after not bowing to the Saudi King last week.

Only 3 years and 9 months to go....

Be Safe

NosaM
    yeah, if it was me I'd be talking from the oval office and say we will not give a dime for any hostage, and I'd give a message directly to the pirates operating in that area, that we're coming to get you too
    don't screw with the U.S.
    but I guess that would be too harsh and would offend other nations
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

I bet them pirates are starting to get hungry and or thirsty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    yeah, if it was me I'd be talking from the oval office and say we will not give a dime for any hostage, and I'd give a message directly to the pirates operating in that area, that we're coming to get you too
    don't screw with the U.S.
    but I guess that would be too harsh and would offend other nations
    Refer back to one of Sixto's original comments...
    Someone in Wash., D.C. would have to grow a pair.

That would be roughly as likely as Rosie O'Donnell becoming an anorexic.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Go Navy!

Administrator
    I hope like hell they dont screw this up. What a perfect chance to send a very loud and clear message to terrorist every where.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, I stand corrected. An unarmed American ship assigned to deliver supplies to the east coast of Africa, is just plain ludicrous.

When this is over the crew should sue the shipping company for putting them in such a situation.

It’s going to be hard for a Seal Team to hit a covered life boat. I’m anxious to see how they pull this one off.

This is a classic Navy Seal's dream. A lifeboat dead in the water full of pirates and 1 hostage...them pirates are doomed.

Administrator
    I'd attack it from the bottom, sink it stealth like. As it sinks and people jump, grab the captain and be off. I'd probably sneak some range time in too just to make sure the pirates are done pirating.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm thinking this is the perfect reason for the US Navy to buy that robot shark from JAWS and start ramming the lifeboat. The pirates will be begging for the Destroyer to pick them up.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    When this is done, every Somalian based ship that ventures out more than 50 miles should be sunk. That would stop the piracy cold. Start with ships capable of being the "mother ships." Then go to smaller vessels. Keep it up till the message is driven home.

VIP Member
    Itís going to be hard for a Seal Team to hit a covered life boat. Iím anxious to see how they pull this one off.
    nah, there are numerous ways to take care of this

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd attack it from the bottom, sink it stealth like. As it sinks and people jump, grab the captain and be off. I'd probably sneak some range time in too just to make sure the pirates are done pirating.
    my thoughts exactly
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    If I were the Captain stuck in that raft, you bet I would be waiting for a half dozen SEALs to turn up from nowhere. I would be waiting and smiling.

Half a dozen seals for four lousy pirates? I don't see why more than one needs to get out of bed. But sneakily poking a hole in the boat from below would splendid idea. Once they're all in the water life is easy.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member

Reality v fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Half a dozen seals for four lousy pirates? I don't see why more than one needs to get out of bed. But sneakily poking a hole in the boat from below would splendid idea. Once they're all in the water life is easy.
    Apparently there isn't a ready solution that won't greatly endanger the captain's life. That is the harsh reality. Any move that takes more than a split second and isn't a complete surprise, will turn the poor guy into a corpse. Especially, as the life raft is clearly designed in a way that precludes a rapid surprise entry.

I sort of liked what happened yesterday when the pirates fired on a rubber dingy. Navy should try that one again in one form or another taking into account as best as possible safety for the crew. The pirates have a finite amount of ammo-- and they have already used some of it recapturing the captain and firing at the dingy. I hope someone has a decent estimate of their ammo supply, and is counting rounds fired.

Time and patience. Time and patience. Time and patience.

There's nothing to lose with that approach. There is everything to lose with rescue attempts.

I'd lie to the guys. Tell them that if they give themselves up they'll get a lawyer, and they will be free on bond in the US, and it will take years till they go to trial, and there is a good chance they'll walk because no one was killed and the captain voluntarily went with them. Song and dance them ---By now they want off that life raft just as bad as the captain does. They need a reason to give up. Make one up. Tell whoppers. (But then, I'm sure the FBI hostage negotiators all know this approach. So, maybe it isn't working. Things aren't always simple.)

We can all speculate, but none of us are there where reality exists.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    The Navy could have dispatched the muslim terrorists at the outset. The real problem is that Obama wants to treat terrorism as a law enforcement issue. Thus, the FBI is involved.

This goes along with the continued blind idiocy of those that pretend the War on Terror is non existent. Overseas Contingency Operation? If it weren't such serious business one would assume that the Administration is auditioning for Saturday Night Live.

I pray for the captain, who is now just a pawn in Chicago politics.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links