Another pirate thread, this one makes me grin

This is a discussion on Another pirate thread, this one makes me grin within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; US crew reportedly takes over ship from pirates NAIROBI, Kenya – Pentagon officials said Wednesday that the American crew of a U.S.-flagged cargo ship had ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another pirate thread, this one makes me grin

Administrator

US crew reportedly takes over ship from pirates

NAIROBI, Kenya – Pentagon officials said Wednesday that the American crew of a U.S.-flagged cargo ship had retaken control from Somali pirates who hijacked the vessel far off the Horn of Africa.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because information was still preliminary. But they said the hijacked crew had apparently contacted the private company that operates the ship.

At a noon news conference, Maersk Line Ltd. CEO John Reinhart said that the company was working to contact families of the crew.

"Speculation is a dangerous thing when you're in a fluid environment. I will not confirm that the crew has overtaken this ship," he said.

A U.S. official said the crew had retaken control and had one pirate in custody.

The official said the status of the other pirates was unknown but they were reported to "be in the water." The official spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter.

The ship was carrying emergency relief to Mombasa, Kenya, when it was hijacked, said Peter Beck-Bang, spokesman for the Copenhagen-based container shipping group A.P. Moller-Maersk.

It was the sixth vessel seized within a week, a rise that analysts attribute to a new strategy by Somali pirates who are operating far from the warships patrolling the Gulf of Aden.

Cmdr. Jane Campbell, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Navy's Bahrain-based 5th Fleet, said that it was the first pirate attack "involving U.S. nationals and a U.S.-flagged vessel in recent memory." She did not give an exact timeframe.

The top two commanders of the ship graduated from the Massachusetts Maritime Academy, the Cape Cod Times reported Wednesday.

Andrea Phillips, the wife of Capt. Richard Phillips of Underhill, Vermont., said her husband has sailed in those waters "for quite some time" and a hijacking was perhaps "inevitable."

The Cape Cod Times reported his second in command, Capt. Shane Murphy, was also among the 20 Americans aboard the Maersk Alabama.

Capt. Joseph Murphy, a professor at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy, says his son is a 2001 graduate who recently talked to a class about the dangers of pirates.

The newspaper reported the 33-year-old Murphy had phoned his mother to say he was safe.

Somali pirates are trained fighters who frequently dress in military fatigues and use speedboats equipped with satellite phones and GPS equipment. They are typically armed with automatic weapons, anti-tank rocket launchers and various types of grenades. Far out to sea, their speedboats operate from larger mother ships.

The U.S. Navy said that the ship was hijacked early Wednesday about 280 miles (450 kilometers) southeast of Eyl, a town in the northern Puntland region of Somalia.

U.S. Navy spokesman Lt. Nathan Christensen said the closest U.S. ship at the time of the hijacking was 345 miles (555 kilometers)away.
    So Michelle, are you proud yet?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like a little High seas Justice

I think the crew might have made them walk the plank!
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I'd be interested to know what methods they used to overthrow the pirates, because its doubtful they had firearms. Good for them though, at least they weren't a bunch of sheep.

"In the water" huh, sounds like shark bait to me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I'd be interested to know what methods they used to overthrow the pirates, because its doubtful they had firearms. Good for them though, at least they weren't a bunch of sheep.

Yeah, I can't wait to find out the details. If I had to guess, they disarmed the weakest link and things went from there.

We'll probably never know, but I want to know how they ended up "in the water" LOL... I can only speculate.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The official said the status of the other pirates was unknown but they were reported to "be in the water."
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Maybe we should check on the ones in the water, perhaps around August or so.

Perhaps the crew's actions should be standard operating procedures for all pirate attacks. Well done!

Excellent work!

Rum all around lads!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

It cracks me up to hear all the talking heads on tv ask that question " how do we stop these pirate's from taking over these ships" Duh, maybe if the crews where armed...just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yeah, I can't wait to find out the details. If I had to guess, they disarmed the weakest link and things went from there.

We'll probably never know, but I want to know how they ended up "in the water" LOL... I can only speculate.
    I'd speculate that the sailors helped them into the water, they must have been thirsty, all that pirate work could be tiring.

Back in the old days when you kick the pirates butt you kept their ship and weapons, don't guess these guys get to do that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    quote from the CNN article:

"They'd be outgunned," Reinhart said. "They don't have any weapons. It would be inappropriate for them to decide to become heroes. We'd like them to come home safely."
    I am sorry to hear that being a hero is now inappropriate.

Administrator

update

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) -- The American crew of a hijacked U.S.-flagged ship retook control of the vessel from Somali pirates Wednesday but the captain was still being held hostage, according to Pentagon officials and a member of the crew.

The crew member told The Associated Press that the 20-member crew had managed to seize one pirate and then successfully negotiate their own release.

The man, who picked up the ship's satellite phone but did not identify himself, told the AP in a brief conversation that the crew had retaken control of the ship and the pirates were in a lifeboat.

But the man also said that they were holding the ship's captain hostage.

The news came hours after Pentagon officials said the crew had retaken the vessel from the Somali pirates who seized it far off the Horn of Africa.

President Barack Obama was following the situation closely, foreign policy adviser Denis McDonough said.

The ship was carrying emergency food relief to Mombasa, Kenya, when it was hijacked, the Copenhagen-based container shipping group A.P. Moller-Maersk said.

It was the sixth vessel seized within a week, a rise that analysts attribute to a new strategy by Somali pirates who are operating far from the warships patrolling the Gulf of Aden.

A U.S. official had said around noon Eastern time the crew had retaken control and had one pirate in custody.

"The crew is back in control of the ship," a U.S. official said at midday, speaking on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to speak on the record. "It's reported that one pirate is on board under crew control -- the other three were trying to flee," the official said.

Another U.S. official, citing a readout from an interagency conference call, said: "Multiple reliable sources are now reporting that the Maersk Alabama is now under control of the U.S. crew. The crew reportedly has one pirate in custody. The status of others is unclear, they are believed to be in the water."

Maersk Line Limited CEO John F. Reinhart said the vessel's manifest showed it was carrying 401 containers of food aid bound for Africa from USAID, Serving God Ministries, the World Food Program and Catholic Relief.

He said the company received a call around 10:30 a.m. EDT from the crew that indicated the crewmen were safe. But the call got cut off, and the company could not ask any more questions.

"The crew member called to say, 'We are safe.' They did not say they had taken over the vessel. They did not say the pirates are off the vessel," Reinhart said.

Cmdr. Jane Campbell, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Navy's Bahrain-based 5th Fleet, said that it was the first pirate attack "involving U.S. nationals and a U.S.-flagged vessel in recent memory." She did not give an exact timeframe.

Andrea Phillips, the wife of Capt. Richard Phillips of Underhill, Vermont., said her husband has sailed in those waters "for quite some time" and a hijacking was perhaps "inevitable."

Joseph Murphy, a professor at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy, said his sons, second in command Capt. Shane Murphy, was a 2001 Massachusetts Maritime Academy graduate who recently talked to a class about the dangers of piracy.

The younger Murphy wrote on his Facebook profile that he worked in waters between Oman and Kenya.

"These waters are infested with pirates that highjack (sic) ships daily," Murphy wrote on the page, which features a photograph of him. "I feel like it's only a matter of time before my number gets called."

Joseph Murphy said his son was trained in anti-piracy tactics at the academy and received training with firearms and small-arms tactics.

Somali pirates are trained fighters who frequently dress in military fatigues and use speedboats equipped with satellite phones and GPS equipment. They are typically armed with automatic weapons, anti-tank rocket launchers and various types of grenades. Far out to sea, their speedboats operate from larger mother ships.

The U.S. Navy said that the ship was hijacked early Wednesday about 280 miles (450 kilometers) southeast of Eyl, a town in the northern Puntland region of Somalia.

U.S. Navy spokesman Lt. Nathan Christensen said the closest U.S. ship at the time of the hijacking was 345 miles (555 kilometers)away.

The Combined Maritime Forces issued an advisory Wednesday highlighting several recent attacks that occurred hundreds of miles off the Somali coast and stating that merchant mariners should be increasingly vigilant when operating in those waters.

Douglas J. Mavrinac, the head of maritime research at investment firm Jefferies & Co., noted that it is very unusual for an international ship to be U.S.-flagged and carry a U.S. crew.

Although about 95 percent of international ships carry foreign flags because of the lower cost and other factors, he said, ships that are operated by or for the U.S. government -- such a food aid ships like Maersk Alabama -- have to carry U.S. flags, and therefore, employ a crew of U.S. citizens.

There are fewer than 200 U.S.-flagged vessels in international waters, said Larry Howard, chair of the Global Business and Transportation Department at SUNY Maritime College in New York
    This might get interesting yet. Lets see if Barack has a pair.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post

While anything short of a military ship could not fend off pirates that well armed, I would be willing to bet the crew of that ship where armed, hid their guns, and waited for their chance to take back control.

Many counties have no problem with firearms onboard a ship so long as you keep them onboard, and declare them when you enter the county. Some have other previsions like only officers can have access, or you must present official US Coast Guard credentials.

Oh, ya I agree with you, in hoping all the pirates are visiting “Davie Jones “.

Now that is awesome! I actually wish'd they would have waited, I wanted to see how this played out on the Hill.

More over I am glad they are safe and taught the pirates a lesson, don't screw with Americans or you will get hurt.

Too bad there is no report of the sailors sudden urge to chum when the pirates hit the water.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Now they are saying the Captain is still held hostage by the folks that bailed out with the life raft. So it's all fine and dandy that they got the ship back but I'd rather have the whole crew instead.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Administrator
    It seems to me that we have people who specialize in taking care of problems exactly like this. I think its time for B.O. to show the world he has a pair (which I doubt) and let the best of the best do what they do best.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Sounds like a little High seas Justice

I think the crew might have made them walk the plank!
    That would be cool to see.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links