GOOD: Injured Shop Owner And Samaritan Help Capture Armed Robber - Grand Rapids, MI

This is a discussion on GOOD: Injured Shop Owner And Samaritan Help Capture Armed Robber - Grand Rapids, MI within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man who assisted wounded store owner says he knows the suspect in Leonard Short Stop robbery - Grand Rapids News - The Latest News, Blogs, ...

Thread: GOOD: Injured Shop Owner And Samaritan Help Capture Armed Robber - Grand Rapids, MI

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Injured Shop Owner And Samaritan Help Capture Armed Robber - Grand Rapids, MI

Man who assisted wounded store owner says he knows the suspect in Leonard Short Stop robbery - Grand Rapids News - The Latest News, Blogs, Photos & Videos MLive.com

[/i][/quote]GRAND RAPIDS -- When Amos Bell spotted the owner of the Leonard Short Stop chasing a masked gunman Tuesday morning, he didn't hesitate to help.

He got out of the car he was riding in, and gave chase.

"(The owner) was running up the street with a gun," said Bell, 18. "I knew it wasn't going to be nothing good."

Bell and the owner, who had been shot in the leg in the 10:40 a.m. holdup, lost sight of the robber, but police caught the suspect a half-hour later hiding in some bushes. Police brought Bell and the hobbled owner, whose name wasn't released, to the scene of the capture to identify the robber.

Once there, it got a little more complicated for Bell: Not only was he a friend to the store owner, stopping to chat every day, but he knew the alleged robber, too.

"It was one of my buddies, that's the bad thing about it," Bell said. "A guy I'm cool with."

Still, he said, he could not defend the robbery, particularly hitting the store, at 1038 Leonard St. NW, that serves the neighborhood and seems to sell virtually everything.

"He's a nice guy," Bell said of the store's owner. "This is the corner store. He's just trying to help us out."
    Rex Larsen | The Grand Rapids PressGrand Rapids officers gather in an alley off 12th Street and Tamarack Avenue as an evidence technician recovers a ditched handgun and clothing after the Leonard Short Stop shooting and robbery

Police caught up to the suspect just after 11 a.m., and found a handgun, too. Officers were responding to a call that a store owner, armed with a long gun, was chasing a man who had just shot him.

The owner told Bell that he was shot in the leg when he refused the robber's demand for cash. Police recovered the $800 reported stolen.

The owner returned to his store after Tuesday's shooting, walking with a limp and the sides of his denims slit for examination by paramedics. Awaiting ambulances soon left after the man said he didn't need to go to the hospital, Bell said.

The store remained closed after Tuesday's shooting.[/i][/quote]
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Links