GOOD: Another Scumbag Shot AND Ran Over - Evansville, IN

This is a discussion on GOOD: Another Scumbag Shot AND Ran Over - Evansville, IN within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 14 News, The Tri-State's News and Weather Leader-EPD: Man shot by homeowner after attempted break-in EVANSVILLE, IN (WFIE) - An Evansville man was shot after, ...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

14 News, The Tri-State's News and Weather Leader-EPD: Man shot by homeowner after attempted break-in

EVANSVILLE, IN (WFIE) - An Evansville man was shot after, police say, he tried to break into a home.

The home-owner said the man broke through the back door, and that's when he shot the intruder, but the story doesn't stop there.

The intruder was then run-down by his own get-away car.

Neighbors said police were on the scene for several hours processing evidence and looking for clues that would help them track down the accomplices.

Sunday mornings events aren't easily forgotten.

"I looked out my peephole and saw a man head to toe in blood," neighbor Katherine Vessels said.

Evansville police said it all started at 5:00 Sunday morning when 26-year-old Derek Shaun Clark kicked in the door of Derrick Murray's home on East Riverside Drive.

Police said the suspect entered the home and told the victim he was police.

Murray said he could tell from the tone of his voice something wasn't right.

"They were talking in street slang, so I ran to my bedroom to get my rifle and as he came in with his hand-gun drawn I, I just fired at him," Murray said.

Police said Clark stumbled out of the house leaving a trail of blood behind him.

He attempted to get in his get-away car, but neighbors said he never made it inside.

"The white car was parked in front of my house and they backed up and ran over him and then he backed up and then they backed up into the alley and into him again," Vessels said. "Then, they took off."

Vessels said she now fears for the safety of her children, and is considering moving out.

"It just blows my mind that that would happen right in front of my house like that," Vessels said. "I have three kids, I wouldn't want that around anybody's kids."

Still shaken up, Murray said he's here to stay, and also said if those crooks come back, they better beware.

"I think a family man is the most dangerous person because they've got more to lose like I do," Murray said.

Clark is in intensive care at St. Mary's.

In 2003 he was convicted of drunk driving and in 2007 he was convicted for possession of marijuana.

Detectives said they will release an official statement regarding Sunday's shooting on Monday.
    Hopefully Clark doesn't survive his hospital stay.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    More Info Here:

Second arrest made in home invasion with shooting : Local News : Evansville Courier Press

UPDATE:

Authorities in Missouri have arrested a man identified by police Wednesday as being involved with a burglary attempt earlier this month that went awry when the resident pulled out a rifle and shot one of the intruders.

Steven Lee Minton, 20, is being held in Florissant, Mo. after being arrested today. He is charged with burglary and robbery in connection with the March 15 incident.

Evansville Police Department spokesman Steve Green said it was not immediately clear how police found Minton, but that it may have been a tip from the public. His name and image were released to the media Wednesday.

EARLIER:

One man has been arrested and another is being sought in connection with an incident in Evansville on March 15 in which an apartment dweller shot an intruder in the leg and sent several others scurrying away.

Shawn Grigsby, 20, of Evansville faces a burglary charge. Evansville Police Department spokesman Steve Green said Grigsby, who is being held in the Vanderburgh County Jail on a $5,000 cash bond, also will be charged with robbery.
    Steven Lee Minton

Police also have an active warrant charging Steven Lee Minton, 20, also of Evansville with burglary and robbery.

Green said more arrests can be expected.

"There's a lot of people involved in this," he said.

The alleged burglary and robbery occurred shortly before 5 a.m. at 421 E. Riverside Drive, where Derrick G. Murray said he was awakened by the sound of a group of men kicking in his apartment door.

Murray said he retrieved an assault rifle he keeps in his bedroom and shot one of the intruders, later identified as 26-year-old Derek Clark, in the leg. Murray said the gunfire sent all of the men fleeing from the residence.

Green said he has no information on the condition of Clark, who was transported to the intensive care unit at St. Mary's Medical Center.

Asked whether Clark will be charged with any crimes, Green said it is possible.

"The investigation is ongoing right now," he said.

In addition to the gunshot wound to his leg, Clark was run over by his accomplices as they fled the scene in a gray Lincoln that had been parked outside, investigators said.

Murray and two neighbors said the accomplices actually ran over Clark twice before speeding off.

Murray told officials he did not recognize any of the men and didn't know of anything that would have brought them to his residence. He said the men claimed to be police officers but peppered their speech with slang and curse words that, along with the lack of lights outside, quickly convinced Murray they were not.

The man identified by police as Clark was brandishing a handgun.

"Once I seen he had a gun and he was in shooting range, I just shot him," Murray said after the incident.

The intruders immediately fled the premises, including Clark, who Murray said crawled out the door and into the street.

Murray waited a minute and went outside, pointing the rifle at the men as they tried to help Clark into the Lincoln, Murray said.

Seeing the gun, the men dropped Clark and got into the car. Murray said they drove over him once and then backed up and ran over him again before fleeing south on Elliott Street.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Sounds like a movie scene..."The Three Stooges Meet the Armed Home Owner"...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links