Black man's killing by police shakes La. town

This is a discussion on Black man's killing by police shakes La. town within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yep, that's the actual title of this story. Cliffs, Man shot by police after approaching an officer with a gun. Family says he did not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yep, that's the actual title of this story. Cliffs, Man shot by police after approaching an officer with a gun. Family says he did not have a gun on him, but does say that he has a gun for self defense and claims the police planted the gun on him after finding his gun in a chair. Full story can be found at: Black man's killing by police shakes La. town posted in its entirety below.

Quote Originally Posted by AP
    Black man's killing by police shakes La. town-Associated Press

Shaun Monroe holds a program from the funeral of his father Bernard Monroe AP Shaun Monroe holds a program from the funeral of his father Bernard Monroe Wednesday, March 18, 2009,
    By MICHAEL KUNZELMAN and MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writers Michael Kunzelman And Mary Foster, Associated Press Writers 10 mins ago

HOMER, La. For 73 years before his killing by a white police officer, Bernard Monroe led a life in this northern Louisiana town as peaceful as they come five kids with his wife of five decades, all raised in the same house, supported by the same job.

The black man's shooting death is attracting far more attention than he ever did, raising racial tensions between the black community and Homer's police department.

The Rev. Al Sharpton, who helped organize a massive 2007 civil rights demonstration in Jena after six black teenagers were charged with attempted murder in the beating of a white classmate, planned to lead a Friday afternoon rally in Homer to protest Monroe's killing.

"The parallel here is that the local community cannot trust law enforcement and cannot trust the process to go forward without outside help," Sharpton said.

Rendered mute after losing his larynx to cancer, Monroe was a 73-year-old retired power company lineman who was in his usual spot on a mild Friday afternoon in February when events unfolded: A chair by the gate led to his Adams Street home. A barbecue cooker smoked beside a picnic table in the yard. A dozen or so family members talked and played nearby.

All seemed calm, until two Homer police officers drove up.

In a report to state authorities, Homer police said Officer Tim Cox and another officer they have refused to identify chased Monroe's son, Shaun, 38, from a suspected drug deal blocks away to his father's house.

Witnesses dispute that account, saying the younger Monroe was talking to his sister-in-law in a truck in front of the house when the officers arrived.

All agree Shaun Monroe, who had an arrest record for assault and battery but no current warrants, drove up the driveway and went into the house. Two white police officers followed him. Within minutes, he ran back outside, followed by an unidentified officer who Tasered him in the front yard.

Seeing the commotion, Bernard Monroe confronted the officer. Police said that he advanced on them with a pistol and that Cox, who was still inside the house, shot at him through a screen door.

Monroe fell dead. How many shots were fired isn't clear; the coroner has refused to release an autopsy report, citing the active investigation.

Police said Monroe was shot after he pointed a gun at them, though no one claims Monroe fired shots. Friends and family said he was holding a bottle of sports water. They accuse police of planting a gun he owned next to his body.

"Mr. Ben didn't have a gun," said 32-year-old neighbor Marcus Frazier, who was there that day. "I saw that other officer pick up the gun from out of a chair on the porch and put it by him."

Frazier said Monroe was known to keep a gun for protection because of local drug activity.

Despite the chase and Tasering, Shaun Monroe was not arrested. He and other relatives would not comment afterward.

Monroe's gun is being DNA-tested by state police. The findings of their investigation will be given to District Attorney Jonathan Stewart, who would decide whether to file charges.

The case also has led to FBI and State Police investigations and drawn attention from national civil rights leaders.

"We've had a good relationship, blacks and whites, but this thing has done a lot of damage," said Michael Wade, one of three blacks on the five-member town council. "To shoot down a family man that had never done any harm, had no police record, caused no trouble. Suddenly everyone is looking around wondering why it happened and if race was the reason."

Homer, a town of 3,800 about 45 miles northwest of Shreveport, is in piney woods just south of the Arkansas state line. Many people work in the oil or timber industries. In the old downtown, shops line streets near the antebellum Claiborne Parish courthouse on the town square.

The easygoing climate, blacks say, masked police harassment.

The black community has focused its anger on Police Chief Russell Mills, who is white. They say he's directed a policy of harassment toward them.

The FBI and State Police said they received no complaints about Homer police before the shooting.

Mills declined interview requests, saying he retained a lawyer and feared losing his job.

Hours before Friday's scheduled rally, music blared from Azzie Olds' home, where the 53-year-old schoolteacher and her neighbors enjoyed a cookout. Olds, who is black, said she expected a peaceful march despite the anger many were feeling.

"You've got a lot of people upset about what happened, not just the black folks," Olds said. "I hope the national attention can help the town realize that something really needs to be done about the situation."

Elsewhere in Homer, some white residents expressed concern that Sharpton's visit could enflame tensions.

"I just hope everybody behaves and don't use it as an excuse to start trouble," said Vanessa Efferson, 49, whose bookstore is one of the shops ringing the courthouse.
    I'm not sure why we keep having these racial fights against white police officers and profiling. I don't quite understand why the race of the people involved is so important in this story. I'm really starting to think the media is trying to instigate this hatred through the way these stories are written. After reading this, I don't know what to think.

I hope I don't sound racist but it happens all the time. Only about a year ago in my hometown, people saw a young black male "with a gun" at a convienient store. Police called and show up, he runs in behind a dumpster and fires on the cops. They return fire. Stand off. SWAT called. Young man was killed by one of the cops rounds to the head in the initial encounter, they just didn't know it until the SWAT guys went in.

Next day the paper is calling the kid a hero and the cops are targeting minorities. What's wrong with this picture?
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Don't point guns at cops,the whole story has a buncha stuff that makes me laugh,one neighbour claims he didn't own a gun then he owns a gun but they planted it,his son was talking to a girl in a truck but he drove up in the driveway and went in the house?how can you be talking to a girl in front of the house and drive up in the driveway.sounds like juniour was running from the popo and dad pulled a gun on the cops
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Don't point guns at cops,the whole story has a buncha stuff that makes me laugh,one neighbour claims he didn't own a gun then he owns a gun but they planted it,his son was talking to a girl in a truck but he drove up in the driveway and went in the house?how can you be talking to a girl in front of the house and drive up in the driveway.sounds like juniour was running from the popo and dad pulled a gun on the cops
    The neighbor said he didn't have a gun, not that he didn't own a gun. That same neighbor said the police planted it on him.

The witnesses that dispute the account of him fleeing from police, said that he was in a truck, talking to a girl, in front of the house. When the police arrived he drove into the driveway.

I see no contradictory information from the witnesses against the police.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Another perfectly good boy gunned down by police.

He was on his way to perform community service for the elderly.

The only thing in his pocket was an all "A" report card, and a Bible.

He never lied, he never cheated, he never even swore...he was a good boy.

Those darn Po-Po...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Let me pretend for a moment that I believed that the cops planted the gun...I still think the officer who fired believed the man to be an immediate threat to have fired. In MI, one has to reasonably believe life is in danger. Just for survival I think a cop needs to assume that anyone who approaches him or his partner while they are making an arrest is not coming to pat him on the back. How about people stop trying to intervene when cops are doing their jobs? Water bottle or pistol, I don't think the cop acted unreasonably from the limited info we have.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Another perfectly good boy gunned down by police.
    You do realize he was 73?

I'm not taking issue with you, or your cynicism, just trying to make sure it's understood that the guy with the warrant trying to escape was not the one that was killed, it was his father.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

IS this seriously an AP story? Sounds like it was written by a 15 year old black panthers member.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    IS this seriously an AP story? Sounds like it was written by a 15 year old black panthers member.
    I thought the same thing as I was posting it. My wife saw it at work and sent to to me in an email and I had a hard time believing it as well. Just crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    You do realize he was 73?

I'm not taking issue with you, or your cynicism, just trying to make sure it's understood that the guy with the warrant trying to escape was not the one that was killed, it was his father.
    They were BOTH in ninth grade...same class!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; April 10th, 2009 at 07:39 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I blame the son for getting his father killed. The cops are after him so he heads to his folks house.....if he wasn't a criminal misfit this would have never happened. I feel bad for the old man but he should have stayed in his chair,safe and out of the way. Water bottle or gun, in the heat of the moment you point something at the police...what happened happens. I'd believe the police before the neighbor/possible running buddy of the criminal. Al Sharpton would do good to concern himself with the level of black on black murder,and black on black crime instead of this one case that sounds like it could have been accidental, it could have just as easily been a man of any color. It's not Whitey holding you down anymore Al....it's so called leaders who won't tell the truth. If the son wasn't a criminal none of this would have happened.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Son was 38...with a long track record. Perhaps the acorn did not fall too far away. Regardless...much more to the story. If it was a dropped gun (similar to the Border Patrol agent story)...it will be found out, especially since the Feds/Civil Rights are now engaged. Hummm...wonder what the reaction would of been if the 73 yr old shot and killed the LEO?

Rick

We had a case here where the Police in a small town seemed to be shooting lots of folks. Not a bad area at all. One... they said the guy raised a gun at the Police. 20 + witnesses said there was no gun and no such thing happened. There was never even a gun produced..... nor obtained at the scene.

The only reasons reporters like this use terms like "white cop shoots innocent black man" in their stories is to rile up the black community. And it works.
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Plop View Post
    The only reasons reporters like this use terms like "white cop shoots innocent black man" in their stories is to rile up the black community. And it works.
    On this one I must agree. You'll seldom hear nowadays race mentioned in the news when they are looking for a suspect because it may appear as prejudicial against minorities.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links