ABC "Signature American Shooting Rampages"

This is a discussion on ABC "Signature American Shooting Rampages" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; From Va Alert: ABC frets 'no real urgency' on new gun control ************************************************** ABC Frets ?No Real Urgency' on ?Meaningful Gun Control' to Stop ?Signature ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABC "Signature American Shooting Rampages"

VIP Member

Thumbs down ABC "Signature American Shooting Rampages"

From Va Alert:

ABC frets 'no real urgency' on new gun control

ABC Frets ?No Real Urgency' on ?Meaningful Gun Control' to Stop ?Signature American Shooting Rampages' | NewsBusters.org

newsbusters.org

ABC Frets 'No Real Urgency' on 'Meaningful Gun Control' to Stop 'Signature American Shooting Rampages'

By Brad Wilmouth April 3, 2009 - 22:15 ET

Of the three network evening newscasts, ABC's World News, substitute hosted by Diane Sawyer, uniquely seemed to lament the lack of political interest in enacting new gun laws to combat what correspondent Dan Harris earlier called "a signature American disaster, a shooting rampage," referring to the shooting spree in Binghamton, New York.

Sawyer introduced a discussion with correspondent Pierre Thomas by reading a statement from the Brady Campaign complaining about the government's lack of interest in more gun control compared to "salmonella poisoning in peanut butter crackers," and then the two fretted over the large number of guns in circulation in America and the unlikely prospects of more gun laws being passed by Congress.

Sawyer: "We keep hearing there is a gun for every man, woman and child in this country, and now they have gone up by that much more. But what about Congress? Is there any move in Congress to try to take some kind of action?"

Thomas responded: "Well, one of the reasons why you heard that frustration from the Brady group today is that there's not a lot of sense of urgency on gun control." After mentioning Attorney General Eric Holder's recent expression of interest in a new assault weapon ban, Thomas continued: "But since that time, no real urgency from the White House or from Congress to take any meaningful gun control legislation to fruition."

The show's first report featured Harris recounting details of the Binghamton murder spree, as he began his piece by coining the term "signature American disaster" to refer to mass shootings.

Harris: "Most of the people who died in that building over there behind me today were immigrants. They came to this country to start a new life, and they ended up dying in what has become a signature American disaster, a shooting rampage."

As Sawyer set up a second story giving more details, she also used the term "signature crime" to refer to shooting sprees: "And Dan talked about this as a signature crime in America. This month, April, is a month of tragic anniversaries. The shootings at Virginia Tech, April, two years ago. At Columbine, April, 10 years ago. And add to them now, Binghamton. Here's Stephanie Sy."

After Sy filled in viewers on more details, Sawyer read a statement released by the Brady Campaign.

Sawyer: "Well, in the two years since Virginia Tech, more than 50 multiple shootings taking a total of more than 200 lives. Today the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence called for action, saying, 'We had nine people in this country presumed to have possibly died from salmonella poisoning in peanut butter crackers, and the government went into overdrive.'"

After bringing aboard Thomas, Sawyer asked if the Justice Department felt "compelled to do something," Thomas ominously passed on what he referred to as "serious facts" about the large number of guns in circulation.

Thomas: They're clearly very concerned about it, but I talked to a number of officials today, and they pointed out a couple of very serious facts. The fact is, there are more than 250 million guns already in circulation, they say, and what that means is when someone gets angry or when they snap, they are going to be able to have access to weapons. And the FBI says, in the two years since Columbine - excuse me - the Virginia Tech shooting, gun sale background checks went up by 14 percent. In fact, from 2007 to 2008, there were 1.5 million more gun sale background checks.

As neither Sawyer nor Thomas made any mention of the evidence that high rates of gun ownership can reduce crime rates while too much gun regulation can increase crime by shifting gun ownership away from the law-abiding so that criminals are disproportionately better armed, Sawyer responded by quoted the liberal talking point that "there is a gun for every man, woman and child in this country," and asked if there is "any move in Congress to try to take some kind of action?"

Thomas responded: Well, one of the reasons why you heard that frustration from the Brady group today is that there's not a lot of sense of urgency on gun control. A couple of weeks ago, the Attorney General, Eric Holder, talked about the fact that he may wanted to, may have wanted to revisit the issue of the assault weapons ban, which was allowed to sunset. But since that time, no real urgency from the White House or from Congress to take any meaningful gun control legislation to fruition.

Before moving on to other news, the ABC anchor informed viewers that there would not only be more coverage of the shooting spree on tonight's 20/20, but that next Friday the network would air a special on the "epidemic of mass shootings in America."

Sawyer: "And, also, a week from tonight, ABC News is going to bring you the results of a year-long exploration of this epidemic of mass shootings in America - why it is happening and what lessons there are about staying safe if it is happening to you, and that is one week from tonight."

Back in April of 2007 ABC also used a shooting tragedy to push its political agenda. A NewsBusters item at the time, "ABC Rues: 'Politicians & Gun Control: Why Aren't They Outraged?' recounted:

ABC's Good Morning America and World News on Friday displayed disappointment that liberals and Democrats have not pursued gun control in the wake of the mass murders at Virginia Tech. GMA's on- screen graphic for a 7am half hour story demanded, "Politicians and Gun Control: Why Aren't They Outraged?"

Co-host Robin Roberts rued: "After every major shooting in the U.S., without fail, there has been a heated debate about gun control on Capitol Hill. But not this time. In fact, most politicians have been running away from the debate on guns. So, why is this happening?" Reporter Jake Tapper echoed the theme: "It was the worst school shooting in American history, and yet what some liberals are referring to as a deafening silence from Democrats on Capitol Hill. After reciting how Democrats fear the electoral impact of the agenda, Tapper concluded by relaying how "in the rest of the world, of course, gun rights in the United States are viewed somewhat oddly."

Just over 12 hours later, World News anchor Charles Gibson recalled how "when I spoke to President Bush at Virginia Tech, he told me he thought the killings at that college would spark new debate on gun laws. So far, it hasn't. The discussion, in fact, has been surprisingly muted." (Naturally, Gibson had prompted that answer: "After Columbine, there was ignited a national debate on guns. Do you think this is going to rekindle the national debate?") In Friday's story, Tapper highlighted how "for gun control activists...the Democrats' silence was deafening." He went on to explain that "many Democratic strategists think Al Gore's liberal gun control stance cost him key states like West Virginia and Tennessee in the 2000 election" and "Democrats recaptured the Congress last November partly because of pro-gun Democrats." Tapper showcased how "this weekend a TV ad campaign begins airing that faults the Democratic Congress for not backing a gun control measure."...

Below is a transcript of relevant portions of the Friday, April 3, World News with Charles Gibson on ABC:

DAN HARRIS: Most of the people who died in that building over there behind me today were immigrants. They came to this country to start a new life, and they ended up dying in what has become a signature American disaster, a shooting rampage.

DIANE SAWYER: And Dan talked about this as a signature crime in America. This month, April, is a month of tragic anniversaries. The shootings at Virginia Tech, April, two years ago. At Columbine, April, 10 years ago. And add to them now, Binghamton. Here's Stephanie Sy.

SAWYER: Binghamton adding to this roll call of violence in America, in addition to Virginia Tech and Columbine. Well, in the two years since Virginia Tech, more than 50 multiple shootings taking a total of more than 200 lives. Today the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence called for action, saying, "We had nine people in this country presumed to have possibly died from salmonella poisoning in peanut butter crackers, and the government went into overdrive."

We'll bring in now justice correspondent Pierre Thomas with us from Washington, and, Pierre, I'm trying to imagine what it is to be in the Justice Department and to get word of a shooting like this, do they feel compelled to do something?

PIERRE THOMAS: Well, there's a lot of frustration today, a lot of angst about this. They're clearly very concerned about it, but I talked to a number of officials today, and they pointed out a couple of very serious facts. The fact is, there are more than 250 million guns already in circulation, they say, and what that means is when someone gets angry or when they snap, they are going to be able to have access to weapons. And the FBI says, in the two years since Columbine - excuse me - the Virginia Tech shooting, gun sale background checks went up by 14 percent. In fact, from 2007 to 2008, there were 1.5 million more gun sale background checks.

SAWYER: Yes, we keep hearing there is a gun for every man, woman and child in this country, and now they have gone up by that much more. But what about Congress? Is there any move in Congress to try to take some kind of action?

PIERRE THOMAS: Well, one of the reasons why you heard that frustration from the Brady group today is that there's not a lot of sense of urgency on gun control. A couple of weeks ago, the Attorney General, Eric Holder, talked about the fact that he may wanted to, may have wanted to revisit the issue of the assault weapons ban, which was allowed to sunset. But since that time, no real urgency from the White House or from Congress to take any meaningful gun control legislation to fruition.

SAWYER: All right, Pierre, thanks to you. And one more note about what happened today. There will be more on this shooting later tonight on 20/20, what happened and why. And, also, a week from tonight, ABC News is going to bring you the results of a year-long exploration of this epidemic of mass shootings in America - why it is happening and what lessons there are about staying safe if it is happening to you, and that is one week from tonight.
    Will they ever get it?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    They get it. They are masters of propaganda and they will do whatever they must do to achieve the goal of making private ownership of weapons illegal.

Thats all its ever been about and thats all it'll ever be...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Good thing Ms Sawyer isnt a religious nut or a "Taliban" as we all would be going to hell and put to death as we don't believe as she does. Gob bless the USA!
    "Brains before Bullets"

The reason these things are happening is because America has lost its Moral compass. They took God and prayer out of our schools and made the mere mention of christianity an excuse for a lawsuit by every wingnut in the cupboard all under the guise of "the separation of church & state" based on a thin interpretation of a supreme court justice.

We have made divorce as easy to get as a drivers' license and now more than half of the people in this country are divorced. We glorify the single mom concept and now we have raised 2 generations of "girly men", that is male children who have had little or no male influence in their lives, and the results are obvious.

We abandoned corporal punishment as a society and nowadays everybody espouses the "time out" concept and the "respect my bubble" crap. And it is just that, crap. Our kids grow up and become tattooed and body pierced freaks that have little or no self esteem that are fed a steady diet of television that push a "me first" agenda and are constantly encouraged to obey their thirst, no matter what the cost.

I believe we are rapidly approaching the tipping point as a society and the danger of our country collapsing completely is a very real possibility. I feel that if we don't turn the tide in these next midterm elections, and especially the next presidential election, then we are doomed as a nation and a people.

I pray this easter sunday that I am wrong.........
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

edr9x23super........your spot on target with your post. Same reason our prisons are overflowing. Hang in there, this to shall pass........

Pat

Senior Moderator
    Hang in there, this to shall pass........
    I certainly hope so, but I can't see it happening. The jerks in office wont stop until we resemble a European country.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    The reason these things are happening is because America has lost its Moral compass. They took God and prayer out of our schools and made the mere mention of christianity an excuse for a lawsuit by every wingnut in the cupboard all under the guise of "the separation of church & state" based on a thin interpretation of a supreme court justice.

We have made divorce as easy to get as a drivers' license and now more than half of the people in this country are divorced. We glorify the single mom concept and now we have raised 2 generations of "girly men", that is male children who have had little or no male influence in their lives, and the results are obvious.

We abandoned corporal punishment as a society and nowadays everybody espouses the "time out" concept and the "respect my bubble" crap. And it is just that, crap. Our kids grow up and become tattooed and body pierced freaks that have little or no self esteem that are fed a steady diet of television that push a "me first" agenda and are constantly encouraged to obey their thirst, no matter what the cost.

I believe we are rapidly approaching the tipping point as a society and the danger of our country collapsing completely is a very real possibility. I feel that if we don't turn the tide in these next midterm elections, and especially the next presidential election, then we are doomed as a nation and a people.

Some theorize (see Spengler, "Decline of the West", 1905) that our culture is dying. In many ways Spengler is hard to refute (i.e., that civilizations have a finite life-span). He says ours reached a peak around 1750, and that we have been in decline ever since.

So according to him, our culture of abundance, infinite space, time & history, manifest destiny -- is coming to a close?

Can it be jump-started? We have to work on that.
    Last edited by Freedom Doc; April 12th, 2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: inserted a missing quote
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Unless we choose to boycott networks and as important, the local stations who broadcast these overreaching reactionist broadcasts AND their respective advertisers, we will have no power over the obvious liberal bias these people preach. If you think for one minute that we can't be toppled, just look at the results of November 2008. The media must be held accountable or we as a free society are in serious jeopardy.
    Be prepared

There is no real urgency for more gun control because the vast majority of Americans, especially the one who vote are FOR guns. No Politician wants to be the one not re-elected because he took us on . There might be a few who know that the Anti stance will play in their districts but the vast majority know that the Right to Bear Arms is MORE American than apple pie, Mom, and taking off early on Fridays. After a tragedy they'll give it a little lip service "Something must be done...blah...blah" but notice that banning guns or taking them from us never comes up.There are about as many guns as people in the U.S. Why ? Because most citizens are Pro-Gun.
    For you guys giving yourselves ulcers, worrying how you'll keep on ......take a deep breath, relax a little. There are a lot more of us than there are of them.

It fits in with what's being broadcast elsewhere, the move to highlight gun violence and with Pelosi's move (recent address on 04/07) to register all guns -that will solve the problem, right? WRONG! It's liberal fascisim. And combine this with military acting as police officers and guess what, folks...??
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Today the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence called for action, saying, 'We had nine people in this country presumed to have possibly died from salmonella poisoning in peanut butter crackers, and the government went into overdrive.'"

The government "went into overdrive" because peanut products are in 90% of all U.S. households, let alone overseas exports and pet foods.

Violent criminal acts of the sort bemoaned by the Brady Bunch, these "signature American" shooting sprees, are seen by ~100 out of 300 million, or 0.0001%.

THAT is why the reactions are reasonable, so far.

Of course, the communists want total control, in this area, but the votes aren't yet there (in Congress), which is really why no actual action has been attempted yet, beyond the propagandist words.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar

Spot-freaking-ON, brother.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Don't you see the logical trick they're using? Food poisoning is done from a flaw in the product itself. Guns require someone to actually pull the trigger and commit the crime. By using this analogy, they solidify (unconsciously) the notion that guns kill people by themselves; that in and of themselves, guns are inherently dangerous. That there are no murderers, only guns.

I would disagree with that. I don't think divorce went up because it was easier to get - but because marriage is no longer respected. People will go out for maybe 2, 3 months, and then get married. Huh? And then a couple of years later, often with kids, they suddenly "don't really know each other anymore." Well geez, really? Maybe you should have uhh, I don't know, dated a little longer? Gotten to know each better? Not turned off that little voice inside your head that had suspicions about the true character of your partner?

I'm not saying that the causes of divorce are always so clear cut; sometimes there is infidelity, or maybe even abuse. But I also feel that sometimes, even those types of aspects could have been detected during the dating phase.

People just jump into things, many things beyond marriage, without really thinking of the consequences. Just look at our credit crunch and home mortgage situation, for example. I think that's the fundamental change - you got it right in your overall post - people only care about the here and now, and only about themselves. They could care less about "silly things" like the future, their children, etc.

And we also wonder why some kids grow up to be mass murderers. When you have a broken home, it gets a lot harder to have the inspiration to lead a good life.

edr9x23super, I think you are absolutely correct.

A clear cut case of, "Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest."
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links