Good: Don't bring a chair to a gun fight.

This is a discussion on Good: Don't bring a chair to a gun fight. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well this shows your don't bring a chair to a gun fight. WDBJ7 Roanoke News and Weather NRV Lynchburg Danville | Investigation continues in Troutville ...

Thread: Good: Don't bring a chair to a gun fight.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar

Good: Don't bring a chair to a gun fight.

2. Remove Ads

At first I'm thinking drunk ex hubby/boyfriend breaking into new boyfriends house looking fer x or to attack new BF but according to story they apparently didn't know each other,why would anybody throw a chair thru a window and try to enter a house,sounds like the gene pool got a little cleaner
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

And the long comment at the bottom of the article explains this phenomenon perfectly.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

The article...

April 11, 2009
    Investigation continues in Troutville shooting

Investigation continues (04/11)
    1:55

News7 was first on the scene early Saturday morning as sheriff's deputies investigated.

Botetourt County Sheriff Ronnie Sprinkle said the homeowner was shooting the intruder as his deputies arrived.

The Botetourt County Sheriff's Office is still investigating the incident that left a would-be burglar dead.

A man seemingly tried to break into a home on Houston Mine Road in Troutville just before 11:00 p.m. Friday.

During the break-in, the homeowner shot the man, who later died at the hospital.

"The subject went as far throwing a chair through the window. At that point the homeowner shot the subject, who was coming inside of his house," says Botetourt County Sheriff Ronnie Sprinkle.

Authorities are still trying to identify the man who broke into the home.

The investigation is still under review, but Commonwealth Attorney Joel Branscom says that considering the circumstances, the shooting appears to be a justifiable homicide.

The homeowner will probably not face charges.

"He is allowed, under State Law and common law to defend his home, his family and himself," said Branscom.

Officials say they believe the intruder and the homeowner did not know each other, and that the incident was a random act of violence.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The 'incedent' probley wasn't as "random" as thier saying. Either way the homeowner did what he thought had to be done. Our decesed BG seemed motivated enough if not outright stupid.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member

Roanoke Times article

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/200867

Botetourt County man kills intruder
    Officials said the resident apparently had little choice but to shoot, although he seemed to show restraint.
    By Sarah Bruyn Jones and Jorge Valencia

TROUTVILLE -- Armed with a double-barreled, 12-gauge shotgun, the resident of a Botetourt County home fatally shot an intruder Friday night, authorities said.

A family living in the home heard someone yelling, cursing and pounding on their house about 10:40 p.m., according to a release Saturday from Botetourt County Sheriff Ronnie Sprinkle.

A man living there called 911 and secured his family members in a locked bedroom, then loaded the shotgun.

The intruder used a wrought iron patio chair to break a glass sliding door and come into the house, and the male resident shot him.

"From what I'm told, he showed some restraint," Botetourt County Commonwealth's Attorney Joel Branscom said about the shooter. "But it got to the point where he didn't have much of a choice."

The house is in a heavily wooded neighborhood at Houston Mines Road and Salt Pond Road in the Nace area of the county. The home is owned by Jody and Gina Hoover, according to county records.

The sheriff's office, however, is not identifying the resident because the incident still is being investigated.

Branscom said he believed five people were in the home at the time of the shooting, including two children.

A man who identified himself as the brother of the owner said he and the owner were replacing the door to the back porch of the house, and declined to comment any further.

Meanwhile, several neighbors said they heard sirens late Friday and were surprised when they learned of the reported altercation and shooting.

Stacy Thompson, a neighbor, said she was glad the man who lived in the house protected his family.

"When I heard someone tried to break in, I was just grateful he had a gun to protect his family," she said. "There's a reason the Second Amendment exists. We support gun rights and we would have done the same thing."

Deputies arrived as the shots were fired, Sprinkle said. The wounded man was taken to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. His identity has not been clearly established, Sprinkle said.

Branscom said he believed that two shots were fired and that the intruder was not carrying a gun.

"So far, from what I've been told, it appears to be justifiable homicide," Branscom said. "If nothing changes, that's where it is headed. When you have someone entering a home in the night and in a threatening manner, it is the kind of thing that rises to the level of justifiable."

An autopsy is scheduled for Monday morning. Branscom said he would review the results of the autopsy along with the 911 tape and look through the statements before making a final determination.

Sprinkle said there is no indication of any connection between the intruder and the man who shot him.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good shoot, I'd have done the same.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

The one comment on the story I noticed:

One Vietnam veteran, an old retired colonel, once said this to me: “Most of the people in our society are sheep. They are kind, gentle, productive creatures who can only hurt one another by accident.” This is true. Remember, the murder rate is six per 100,000 per year, and the aggravated assault rate is four per 1,000 per year. What this means is that the vast majority of Americans are not inclined to hurt one another.

Some estimates say that two million Americans are victims of violent crimes every year, a tragic, staggering number, perhaps an all-time record rate of violent crime. But there are almost 300 million Americans, which means that the odds of being a victim of violent crime is considerably less than one in a hundred on any given year. Furthermore, since many violent crimes are committed by repeat offenders, the actual number of violent citizens is considerably less than two million.

Thus there is a paradox, and we must grasp both ends of the situation: We may well be in the most violent times in history, but violence is still remarkably rare. This is because most citizens are kind, decent people who are not capable of hurting each other, except by accident or under extreme provocation. They are sheep.

I mean nothing negative by calling them sheep. To me it is like the pretty, blue robin’s egg. Inside it is soft and gooey but someday it will grow into something wonderful. But the egg cannot survive without its hard blue shell. Police officers, soldiers and other warriors are like that shell, and someday the civilization they protect will grow into something wonderful. For now, though, they need warriors to protect them from the predators.
    “Then there are the wolves,” the old war veteran said, “and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy.” Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.

“Then there are sheepdogs,” he went on, “and I’m a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.” Or, as a sign in one California law enforcement agency put it, “We intimidate those who intimidate others.”

If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen: a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath--a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? Then you are a sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero’s path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed.
    Sam
    Sunday, April 12, 2009

Botetourt County investigators released the name of a man killed by a homeowner late Friday night. Here is the complete news release from the sheriff's department:

Botetourt County Sheriff Names Persons Involved

In Home Invasion Shooting Death

Botetourt County Sheriff Ronnie N. Sprinkle today provided additional details describing a home invasion shooting Friday night in the Nace area of the county and identified the homeowner and the man who was killed in the incident. Both the sheriff and Botetourt County Commonwealth's Attorney Joel Branscom said that no charge would be filed.

The man who died as a result of two shotgun blasts was identified through fingerprints as Jerry Lee Jones, Jr., 35, who resided on Nace Road approximately two miles from the residence at Salt Pond Road and Houston Mines Road where 46-year-old Jody Hoover confronted him as he entered the home after shattering a glass door, Sheriff Sprinkle said.

The sheriff said that investigators established that preceding the events at the Hoover home Jones had been a passenger in a vehicle with Joe Harper, who also resides in the same general area. Sheriff Sprinkle said that Harper described Jones as drinking and becoming violent, grabbing the steering wheel and attempting to hit him. Harper, who said that Jones was known to become violent when drinking, put Jones out of the vehicle in the area near the Hoover residence, Sprinkle said.

At the time of his death, Jones had a blood-alcohol level that was more than four times the legal limit for operating a motor vehicle. Sprinkle said.

Five persons were in the home at the time: Hoover, his wife, their two sons, and Mrs. Hoover's mother.

"The detailed investigation, including examination of the 911-tapes related to this occurrence, validates the conclusion that Mr. Hoover acted within his legal rights and responsibilities," Sheriff Sprinkle said.

Branscom said, "We have reviewed the evidence, including the 911-tape, and concluded that Mr. Hoover acted properly under the circumstances. This is a justifiable homicide. Therefore, no charge will be filed."

VIP Member

911 tape

Go to site to hear tape. I have no idea how to import it to DC site

Botetourt County authorities release 911 tape in fatal home invasion shooting - Roanoke.com

Botetourt County authorities release 911 tape in fatal home invasion shooting
    No charges will be filed in last week's shooting.
    By Amanda Codispoti

The Botetourt County Sheriff's Office today released the identities of the men involved in last week's fatal home invasion shooting.

Jody Hoover, 46, shot and killed Jerry Lee Jones Jr., 35, after Jones broke into Hoover's home Friday night in the Nace area of the county, according to a news release from Sheriff Ronnie Sprinkle. Hoover's wife, mother-in-law and two sons were home when Jones threw a chair through a glass sliding door and came into the house. No one else was injured.

Jones' blood-alcohol content was more than four times the legal limit when he died, the news release said. The sheriff's office determined that Jones had been drinking with another man, Joe Harper, when he became violent while in a vehicle. Harper dropped off Jones near the Hoover home, the news release said.

The sheriff's office and Botetourt County Commonwealth's Attorney Joel Branscom reviewed the evidence, including the 911 tape, and decided not to charge Hoover, the news release said.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    good shoot, homeowner felt threatened and took care of business

what gets me is the 911 operator instructing the wife to tell her husband to put the gun down after he shot, wife says (and sounds agitated by the instructions) what if he still tries to get in (or something similar) and 911 operator says 'he wont get up after being shot' REALLY....she can tell that over the phone....I'm impressed
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Disturbing. But sounds like a clean shoot.

Yet another violent, disoriented drunk getting his just desserts. I'm no teetotaler, but I am neither particularly prone to violent outbursts while drinking or inclined to drink so much that I can't tell my own home from someone else's.

Don't ask the 911 operator how to deal with the threat in front of you. If your people are still shooting, make sure the operator communicates that fact with the police so they don't rush into your line of fire.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Links