GOOD: Don't Bring A Boxcutter To A Gunfight - Aurora, CO

This is a discussion on GOOD: Don't Bring A Boxcutter To A Gunfight - Aurora, CO within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Intruder shot to death during attack in home - The Denver Post A man armed with a box cutter pushed his way into an Aurora ...

Thread: GOOD: Don't Bring A Boxcutter To A Gunfight - Aurora, CO

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Intruder shot to death during attack in home - The Denver Post

A man armed with a box cutter pushed his way into an Aurora home early Friday morning and attacked a male guest who was sleeping on the couch before the intruder was shot to death by the man who lived there, police said.

The alleged attacker, who has not been identified, knocked on the back door of a single-family house at 1672 Jamaica St. around 3 a.m. The man who lived in the house went to the door but was pushed aside by the intruder, police said.

After a brief scuffle, the intruder went into the living room where Frank J. Sanchez, 18, was sleeping. The intruder began attacking Sanchez, who woke up and started fighting back, Detective Shannon Lucy said.

Meanwhile, the resident went into his bedroom, pulled out a pistol and shot the intruder dead, according to police.

"We don't consider this a random burglary or robbery," Lucy said Friday afternoon. She didn't identify the resident of the house, who is not considered a suspect in a crime and was not taken into custody, she said.

Sanchez, wanted on an outstanding burglary warrant in Kansas City, Kan., was arrested.

Lucy said the Adams County district attorney's office is investigating the shooting and whether it might fall under Colorado's "Make My Day" law, which allows homeowners or residents to defend themselves against intrusions.

Anyone with information about the incident should call Detective Craig Appel at 303-739-6207.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Sounds like Sanchez had an enemy,maybe he ripped the guy off and the guy was gonna cut him up,this sounds like a situation where you shouldn't take the law into your own hands,you may get shot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    ...whether it might fall under Colorado's "Make My Day" law
    There's no "whether"; it does.

What a moron the resident was to open the door to a stranger at any time, much less 03:00.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Maybe he didn't know that his guest was wanted for burglary... but I'd say that's a pretty big "maybe." And ditto on exercising more caution when there's a knock on the door at 3am.

Nevertheless, the intruder got what he deserved.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Sounds like the kind of B.S. that happens to people when they hang around with criminals, another criminal comes to your home ,bringing trouble.

Yet another person answering an unexpected unknown intent unknown person door knock at _3AM_ only to find himself face to face with Death's Head.

What is with people answering knocks, bashes, kicks, and persons screaming at their prior _closed and locked_ door?!
    And at 3AM too...an hour where almost nothing good ever occurs.

"The man who lived in the house went to the door but was pushed aside by the intruder, police said"

No surprise there. Duh.
    Do not do this. Stop doing this people.
    Identify who is at the door _through_ the door by speaking to them through the closed door. You can hear them fine and they can hear you. Seeing persons eye to eye is not necessary to communicate functionally.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Why do I get the feeling that the homeowner recognized the intruder...?
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

jfl
    Strange indeed, but the result is good: 2 BG down, one for good
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

knocked on the back door ...

Story after story after story ... there must be a reason that so many criminals choose to knock on the door instead of just cutting the screen and entering discreetly. Seems like every story I read they knock and attack you when you open the door.

Question: why would a criminal knock on the door of the victim's house?

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    What is with people answering knocks, bashes, kicks, and persons screaming at their prior _closed and locked_ door?!
    And at 3AM too...an hour where almost nothing good ever occurs.
    Tell me about it. This reminds me of a time when I was in basic training. It was my turn for the 2am (or so) watch. I'm not a good person at waking up and the guy I was relieving ditched his uniform and crawled into the sack before I was dressed and awake.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door. Instead of opening the window and asking for identification, I opened the door half asleep. Let me tell you, I wasn't half asleep much longer and neither were the 60 or so guys in the barracks because when that drill instructor layed into me he woke up the whole building, the next building over, and maybe a few dead people burried at the base cemetary.

Fortunately, I notified my drill instructor first thing the next morning that one of the other drill instructors would be looking for her to let her know how I screwed up. I never heard another word about it.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    knocked on the back door ...

Story after story after story ... there must be a reason that so many criminals choose to knock on the door instead of just cutting the screen and entering discreetly. Seems like every story I read they knock and attack you when you open the door.

Question: why would a criminal knock on the door of the victim's house?
    Because stupid people keep opening the doors.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links