Tonight on 60 Minutes

This is a discussion on Tonight on 60 Minutes within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When will people understand the concept of a criminal = someone who does not abide by the law. So enacting all of these gun laws ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tonight on 60 Minutes

When will people understand the concept of a criminal = someone who does not abide by the law. So enacting all of these gun laws only makes it harder for the good guys, the bad guys don't give a dam and will still have guns when the good guys don't. At least this was not as blatantly left winged as 20/20's was.

2. Remove Ads

Taken from another forum:

It was still far too soft on the very concept of AWB II: Scary Guns Boogaloo. I'm waiting for a major network to flat out say, "This is an M4A1. This is another M4A1 with a threaded barrel. This is the damage done to a ballistics gel target by the first... and here's the almost-identical damage done to a ballistics gel target by the second. In no way does the presence of a threaded barrel alter the most important characteristic of the weapon: the impact of the bullet upon the targeted object." Then repeat this for all the other arbitrary drek foisted upon us by the AWB.
    QFT

VIP Member
    Just slightly off the main topic but I am curious, what did CBS do with the weapons that Omar bought?
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Just slightly off the main topic but I am curious, what did CBS do with the weapons that Omar bought?
    It was ABC, and they turned them over to the local police.

the 15 minute segment was probably a bit more ballanced than the ABC's one hour long presentation. I suspect tho, had CBS gone longer, it would have followed along the lines of the ABC broadcast and would not have been as ballanced. Would have been one sided and joined at the hip with ABC views
    "Brains before Bullets"

Van Cleave is right. Sixty-five Democrats in the House, who are "for guns," signed a letter opposing bringing back the ban.
    This is what I've been bringing up when people talk about he Democrats taking their guns. We are seeing more and more D's every year who are seeing the light and going PRO gun. Not just tolerant of guns, but PRO guns.

This is a great signal people. It is showing that people are starting to cross party lines on this topic and making it a dead topic. As it is, very few recent elections have been heavy pro or anti gun. It used to be a much bigger divisive topic.

People on both sides are starting to see that gun laws don't stop any criminals. Even my totally Liberal cousin has admitted that Jiverly Wong did not kill people in Binghamton because of his pistol permit. And he, just like the other psycho at VT, would have just bought illegal guns or used long hunting guns, or his car or a knife or a chainsaw etc...etc...etc..... Point is she is a hippy lib from Ithaca, NY and she has turned totally around on the issue. Just the opposite effect that a lot of shootings used to have.

These things are all good signs IMO. And it is because of this that I don't feel the Obama administration will not get anything significant done. I know people will disagree because he probably will sign the lapsed AWB back into existence. And some sight that as the beginning of the end. But people said the same thing when Clinton signed it and really nothing else happened.

Truth is we might have to give up something to get something. I know it is wrong in the eyes of the 2A but maybe closing the "loophole" in gun shows or the "loophole" in some state permits will be enough to get the rest of the libs on our side for the rest of the way. I know its not a perfect solution, but it might just keep guns IN the hands of the law abiding citizens. Which I'm sure we can all agree is what both sides really want anyway. Well we can hope anyway. :)

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    It was ABC, and they turned them over to the local police.
    Omar was a liar. In the 20/20 piece he said that one seller up-charged him $100 when he couldn't produce ID and in the 60 Minutes piece he said it was $50.

I am sure that kid doesn't have $5000 to throw around every few weeks at gun shows to prove a point. He was given that money by the producers of the 20/20 show. 60 Minutes did not pay him to be a mystery shopper.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    This is what I've been bringing up when people talk about he Democrats taking their guns. We are seeing more and more D's every year who are seeing the light and going PRO gun. Not just tolerant of guns, but PRO guns.

This is a great signal people. It is showing that people are starting to cross party lines on this topic and making it a dead topic. As it is, very few recent elections have been heavy pro or anti gun. It used to be a much bigger divisive topic.

People on both sides are starting to see that gun laws don't stop any criminals. Even my totally Liberal cousin has admitted that Jiverly Wong did not kill people in Binghamton because of his pistol permit. And he, just like the other psycho at VT, would have just bought illegal guns or used long hunting guns, or his car or a knife or a chainsaw etc...etc...etc..... Point is she is a hippy lib from Ithaca, NY and she has turned totally around on the issue. Just the opposite effect that a lot of shootings used to have.

These things are all good signs IMO. And it is because of this that I don't feel the Obama administration will not get anything significant done. I know people will disagree because he probably will sign the lapsed AWB back into existence. And some sight that as the beginning of the end. But people said the same thing when Clinton signed it and really nothing else happened.

Truth is we might have to give up something to get something. I know it is wrong in the eyes of the 2A but maybe closing the "loophole" in gun shows or the "loophole" in some state permits will be enough to get the rest of the libs on our side for the rest of the way. I know its not a perfect solution, but it might just keep guns IN the hands of the law abiding citizens. Which I'm sure we can all agree is what both sides really want anyway. Well we can hope anyway. :)
    Gato Gordo,

Gillibrand was once on our side but as soon as she got a taste of Albany she was forced to drink the Schumer/Silver Kool-Aid. I have lost all hope for NYS. I am not surprised that Patterson hasn't decided to make our CCW permits expire after a period of time and then hit us with a $500 renewal to help "close the budget gap".

~Siafu

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Yep, sort of like how a snake believes it's sensible to steal a chicken's eggs. It is sensible from the snake's viewpoint, but certainly not from the chicken's, the egg's, or the farmer's.

The segment was shorter than I expected. Maybe that's good--less time for them to do damage.
    Ah yes, but the egg really has no say in the matter as it's delegated it's powers of survival to the farmer who is in a constant fight with the snake to take over said power. So in reality, the egg is screwed either way...kinda like us
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Ah yes, but the egg really has no say in the matter as it's delegated it's powers of survival to the farmer who is in a constant fight with the snake to take over said power. So in reality, the egg is screwed either way...kinda like us
    Yeh, the egg wasn't the best example... maybe a better example would be a little chick, who has some say in the matter.

Maybe I'd better quit with the examples and just stick with the facts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links