GOOD: Man shot, killed while trying to rob Columbia, SC AA meeting (merged)

This is a discussion on GOOD: Man shot, killed while trying to rob Columbia, SC AA meeting (merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by MiloSC If I remember correctly, one of the questions on the CWP application is related to alcohol addiction. If he were at ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GOOD: Man shot, killed while trying to rob Columbia, SC AA meeting (merged)

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MiloSC View Post
    If I remember correctly, one of the questions on the CWP application is related to alcohol addiction. If he were at an AA meeting it could very well mean he has/had an alcohol problem, and thus lied on his CWP application.
    I had been sober for many years when I applied for my CWP, so no, I no longer have a problem with booze. I do however carry to all AA meetings I go to, so do a lot of other people.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    I had been sober for many years when I applied for my CWP, so no, I no longer have a problem with booze. I do however carry to all AA meetings I go to, so do a lot of other people.
    Congrats on both your sobriety and getting your permit. Sober 12 years myself.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    I been clean 17+ years,since most drug possession offenses are felonies very few recovering addicts can get a Concealed carry license much less own any firearms,I am one of the fortunate ones and I carry concealed in all meetings,there was an incident where a couple was seperated and the husband attacked and shot her boyfriend in the parking lot and shot her in a meeting trying to hide in the bathroom.Anytime Anywhere
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

But... but...

ABC said a gun was completely useless to anyone that is not as highly skilled as a NAVY SEAL. How could it be?!

this story, i Wish it would of made ABC and 60 mins. also, so people could understand what CHLs are about,saving lives of innocents and protecting ones self from thugs.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Here's the story:

Sounds like a good shoot to me. I guess the SB picked the wrong group of drunks to rob. I wonder if the CWP holder was at the meeting for himself or someone else. If it was for himself, could that affect his CWP?
    drunks?,cmon man these are people trying to help themselves and others.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

If I remember correctly, one of the questions on the CWP application is related to alcohol addiction. If he were at an AA meeting it could very well mean he has/had an alcohol problem, and thus lied on his CWP application.
    maybe his wife is an alcoholic,ever think of that or just the worst negative you can,you're calling someone a liar that you know absolutely nothing about,,jeeeeez
    i stopped drinking and feeling sorry for myself 11years ago,but remind me never to ask you for a reference.

sorry if i sound uptight its been a bad day and hypocrisy played a big part in it.

― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    And being in ones home long has not been a respite from the outside world either.
    Though I do have to wonder about the "I just want something for the house. I don't need to carry it because I don't go to dangerous places." crowd. If your home is the most dangerous place you ever go, it's time to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxxer View Post
    "Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said Kayson Helms of Edison, N.J., was shot in the neck, abdomen and chest."

I think that's what he was going for.

Edison was my hometown, I guess this guy figured most states were like NJ where only the criminals can carry....oh well he found out the hard way. NEXT

In Fla if you are clean for 3 years you are good to go.

SC had this on their app. - (1) a person who has been convicted of a crime of violence in any court of the United States, the several states, commonwealths, territories, possessions, or the District of Columbia or who is a fugitive from justice or a habitual drunkard or a drug addict or who has been adjudicated mentally incompetent;

I didn't see anything about a time period but then again I didn't look too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I been clean 17+ years,

Good job guys, I just hit 21 years on the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleJim View Post
    In Fla if you are clean for 3 years you are good to go.
    where did that come from?
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Quote Originally Posted by JungleJim View Post
    Good job guys, I just hit 21 years on the 2nd.
    Hey, I have over 14 years. It's good to see other "survivors" in this site.

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    where did that come from?
    Clarification;

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2008->Ch0790->Section 06 : Online Sunshine

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.--
    (e) Has not been committed for the abuse of a controlled substance or been found guilty of a crime under the provisions of chapter 893 or similar laws of any other state relating to controlled substances within a 3-year period immediately preceding the date on which the application is submitted;

(f) Does not chronically and habitually use alcoholic beverages or other substances to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired. It shall be presumed that an applicant chronically and habitually uses alcoholic beverages or other substances to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired if the applicant has been committed under chapter 397 or under the provisions of former chapter 396 or has been convicted under s. 790.151 or has been deemed a habitual offender under s. 856.011(3), or has had two or more convictions under s. 316.193 or similar laws of any other state, within the 3-year period immediately preceding the date on which the application is submitted;

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I guess that there is still a stigma about going to AA, always has been, probably always will.
    I suppose that some will never understand, and I can't really expect them to. Congrats to all who have posted on this thread......It proves that it works, that we do regain the respect of our peers and live normal, SAFE, happy lives.

Rex M. 5/7/01
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links