GOOD: Man shot, killed while trying to rob Columbia, SC AA meeting (merged)

This is a discussion on GOOD: Man shot, killed while trying to rob Columbia, SC AA meeting (merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man shot, killed while trying to rob Five Pts. AA meeting COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - One man is dead after a shooting in Columbia's Five ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GOOD: Man shot, killed while trying to rob Columbia, SC AA meeting (merged)

Man shot, killed while trying to rob Five Pts. AA meeting

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - One man is dead after a shooting in Columbia's Five Points. Police say it happened when the man tried to rob people in an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.

Blue lights and sirens are common in Columbia's Five Points on a Saturday night, but it's not usually because someone was killed.

"This is a very nice area, you know it's mostly college kids and all that, you never see that kind of trouble so yeah that was different," said a witness who does not want to be identified. "Yeah because I go there for meetings and from what I heard the guy went in there to rob somebody."

Police say just before 11pm Saturday 18-year-old Kayson Helms walked into an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting at the ACOA Club, pulled out a handgun and demanded money.

That's when an AA member pulled out a gun of his own and shot first.

The witness we talked to was standing right outside, and saw Helms run out of the building.

"But he only made it like a hundred feet up and collapsed," the man said.

Helms died at the hospital. The whole incident is alarming to those that live nearby.

"There are times where I tell myself, no, I'm not going to walk down there with my child at this point in time," says resident Andrea Richardson.

The shooting happened right in the Richardsons' backyard.

"Listening to the TV and I heard three pops in rapid succession," says Christopher Richardson.

But some people in Five Points had no idea.

"A little nervous I guess that it happened right around the corner from where we were last night, and I had no idea about it, so I didn't know that kind of threat was around this area," says Aleksas Juskys.

It's a threat people that those that go to the ACOA Club never thought they would have to deal with.

"It's the most pleasant place you can go if you're in recovery," says the witness.

Police say the person who shot Kayson Helms is not facing any charges. They say he has a valid concealed weapons permit.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Wish it would of made ABC and 60 mins.

RicK

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Wish it would of made ABC and 60 mins.

RicK
    You kidding? After the completely objective way they showed it's impossible to react like this?
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

VIP Member
    "Listening to the TV and I heard three pops in rapid succession," says Christopher Richardson.
    Two to the body, one to the head?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    Nope. He ran about a hundred feet.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

CWP in Action?

This was in my local news tonight...
    Police: Man Killed While Trying to Rob Alcoholics Anonymous Meeting | wltx.com

What do you think?
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

Here's the story:

Columbia (WLTX) - A man who tried to rob people at an Alcoholics Anonymous Meeting is dead after being shot.

Columbia Police say a man in his late teens walked into the meeting at 2015 College Street, the Acoa Club, at 11 p.m. Saturday night with a gun.

They say he demanded two people empty their pockets. That's when police say a person with a concealed weapons permit shot the man in his chest.

He was taken to Palmetto Richland where he later died.

Witnesses tell officials that a handful of people were in the building at the time of the shooting.

So far, no charges have been filed.
    Sounds like a good shoot to me. I guess the SB picked the wrong group of drunks to rob. I wonder if the CWP holder was at the meeting for himself or someone else. If it was for himself, could that affect his CWP?
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

deadeye72 - how could it effect his CWP? It's an AA meeting. If he was in a bar - that would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Here's the story:

Sounds like a good shoot to me. I guess the SB picked the wrong group of drunks to rob. I wonder if the CWP holder was at the meeting for himself or someone else. If it was for himself, could that affect his CWP?
    It should...he should get his next renewal for FREE!
    It's the least the state could do for saving so much taxpayer $$$.
    OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's a threat people that those that go to the ACOA Club never thought they would have to deal with.
    Another "nothing like this has ever happened around here before" comment.

Scratch AA meetings off the dwindling list of places that some consider always safe.

Any time, any place.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Scratch AA meetings off the dwindling list of places that some consider always safe.
    But everywhere ouside the home is safe. Isn't that why some people always seem to want a gun for home defense, but don't think anybody should be allowed to carry one anywhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by kd5nrh View Post
    But everywhere ouside the home is safe. Isn't that why some people always seem to want a gun for home defense, but don't think anybody should be allowed to carry one anywhere else?
    +1

And being in ones home long has not been a respite from the outside world either.

- Janq

"Welcome to the jungle. We got fun and games..." - Guns N' Roses
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by cred View Post
    deadeye72 - how could it effect his CWP? It's an AA meeting. If he was in a bar - that would be different.
    If I remember correctly, one of the questions on the CWP application is related to alcohol addiction. If he were at an AA meeting it could very well mean he has/had an alcohol problem, and thus lied on his CWP application.
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by MiloSC View Post
    If I remember correctly, one of the questions on the CWP application is related to alcohol addiction. If he were at an AA meeting it could very well mean he has/had an alcohol problem, and thus lied on his CWP application.
    I'm betting he has been sober for awhile and therefore was legally able to get a concealed permit without lying,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    "Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said Kayson Helms of Edison, N.J., was shot in the neck, abdomen and chest."

I think that's what he was going for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links