Wildlife officer shoots hunter? - Page 2

Wildlife officer shoots hunter?

This is a discussion on Wildlife officer shoots hunter? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just had a conversation with a conservation agent and he mentioned that agents believed "hunters may as well hang their permit on the muzzle" - ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Just had a conversation with a conservation agent and he mentioned that agents believed "hunters may as well hang their permit on the muzzle" - commenting on how often people point their firearms at them.

In NY they have more power Than the State Police in that they can do searches without a warrant. They have all the same arrest powers and need no permission to be on your land. I can't recall a time when these power were even alleged to have been abused though. They are a pretty honorable bunch of LEO's.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

The Dept of Wildlife and Fisheries really stepped up during the hurricane Katrina fiasco. Those guys did a great job.

Game wardens really are cop wanna be's. One step up from mall security. Must not have made it as a real cop so had to take the job as a game warden, checking licenses, animal droppings, and harrassing hunters looking for lame ticket. I am sure that in this case, the big headed cop wanna be warden was giving the good old boy codger a hard time over something stupid on his own property. I have yet TO MEET A 76 YEAR OLD THAT STARTS CONFRONTATIONS. But, they sure will stand up to someone giving them BS.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Hmmm...

I'm sorry, but after reading some of the ASSANINE comments on here against game wardens, it really makes sense why some of them have no sense of humor.

No they are not cop wannabes. Sorry. The vast majority of game wardens I have met spent time as street cops or on highway patrol prior to getting transfered to the fish and wildlife division because the waiting list is long to get into that job. In fact, I have only met one who was lucky enough to get hired on directly to a game warden job.

Its an extremely tough job, made even more complicated by the fact that nearly every encounter they have is with an armed person who may be a suspect and back up can be hours away if they are even in an area where they have communication.

And I have met many old codgers as well as young idiots who start confrontations because they have a "legal opinion" and think they can put more force behind it because they have firearm in their hands.

Be that as it may, anytime you have an incident like this it is truly sad regardless of who is at fault. One of the biggest keys to fish and wildlife enforcement is not only knowing how to descalate the situation but also when to retreat because you can always bring the army back with you the next day.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Wanna be cops? Conservation Officers in the last two states in which I've lived (Wisconsin and Michigan) are the most highly trained LEO's in the state (state police academy + extended special training). Statistically, they also have the most dangerous LEO jobs in those two states.

Are there "bad eggs"? Sure, as in every profession. But let's not pass judgment on this incident until all the facts become known.

PC
    Last edited by PeterCartwright; April 14th, 2009 at 08:37 AM.

Make no mistake. When your job entails the violation of rights you are WORSE than a common criminal as far as I'm concerned. Contrary to what the "law" may say on the matter, there is NO REASON for ANY officers to be allowed to randomly enter, exit, or otherwise violate any individual's private property unless life is in danger.

As to the comments about the state or feds "owning" all the land and the wildlife therein...that's a HUGE argument for another day I suppose.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Hmmm...

I'm sorry, but after reading some of the ASSANINE comments on here against game wardens, it really makes sense why some of them have no sense of humor...
    100% agreed and on all of your points as stated, not just the above singular...which really does ring true.

All that you stated is as you already know, fact.
    Statements to the contrary are borne from either ignorance (simply not knowing) or personal issue/vendetta.

It's a darn shame we don't have one of them amongst us here to comment.
    They go into woodland and rural areas alone with no backup (!) and interact with unknown temperment persons who largely and as a general fact are armed _as well as_ skilled. There is often times no car license plate that they can run from the comfort of a crusier to scan before pulling a person over so as to know up front if they driver might potentially be Joe Sixpack, Deebo, or the Pastor from the local church.

Not a job for everyone it is, and especially so is not akin to any sort of mall security what so ever not even that of the federal US Capitol Police who do actually patrol a 'mall'.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterCartwright View Post
    Statistically, they also have the most dangerous LEO jobs in those two states.
    Source and statistics please?

I don't believe your statement to be true.

I've always had positive experiances with Game and Fish in MN, WI, and CO. I have not heard of a case where their powers have been abused. I still don't like the fact that they are exempt from some of the same requirements of warrants and invitation as regular LEO. A poached wild animal to the crook down the street isn't worth giving up our rights. And a real poacher will get caught eventually.

I knew a guy once who had some issues with his teenage (too big for their britches) children. The kids were mad at their dad and called the MN DNR on him claiming he was over his limit in the freezer. DNR showed up, no warrant, and found he was legal. That was 10 or 15yrs ago. Nowadays I suppose his kids would just shoot him while he slept.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    A Conservation Officer has more iminent jurisdiction than a LEO. If you are suspected of a game violation, the officer needs no warrant to search and/or seize anything in your possession.

Some of you obviously have no first hand experience with game wardens.

Back on topic ... I wish we knew the whole story here. Maybe the CO wasnt in uniform and the land owner didnt realize it? I cant imagine the CO shooting this man unless provoked by a dangerous threat.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Source and statistics please?

I don't believe your statement to be true.
    I think he's referring to these officers being in an encounter with armed people almost 100% of the time
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Game Warden, DNR, Fish and Feathers...by any name, they wear 'capes'...

Don't screw with those who do...wear capes, that is...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This story needs a lot more facts. Was alcohol involved ?Where are the details ?
    All the game wardens I've met during many years of hunting and fishing have been great except for two who were on a power trip. There are always going to be one or two bad apples. Maybe the hunter was up set with the warden being on his property. No one will know until the facts are known.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I think he's referring to these officers being in an encounter with armed people almost 100% of the time
    I suspect your statement is true. Which in NO WAY WHAT SO EVER makes this statement true:

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCartwright View Post
    Statistically, they also have the most dangerous LEO jobs in those two states.
    Which is why I ask for 'source and statistics' please. You can't make a statement like that without being able to back it up. Just because they may face a majority of people who are armed, doesn't make it more dangerous because the majority of these people are law abiding citizens. But, I'll wait for the source before going too far down that road.....
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

kpw
    I'd like to hear more about the NC incident. No matter what went down, it's something that really shouldn't ever happen.

In PA, WCOs have full LEO authority within the scope of their employment only. They can't enter private land without RAS. They can't track and retrieve wounded game from private property without permission from the land owner unless it's an investigation of wrongdoing. I just attended a 2 day hunter safety course with my kids this past weekend. It's been 29 years since I went through it and I learned a few things. One thing I learned is they don't always read through the current regs books. The deputy made a few mistakes and had to be corrected.
    I've had almost yearly encounters with WCOs and, for the most part, they have been very professional. Every once in a while, you run into one of those guys you always hear stories about. If the PGC would make an effort to weed those individuals out, I think the tension between hunters and WCOs might ease quite a bit.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links