Wildlife officer shoots hunter? - Page 4

Wildlife officer shoots hunter?

This is a discussion on Wildlife officer shoots hunter? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; tinkerin, I understand your point about stats for some things, but really...there are things in life that don't need stats I'm really going to make ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    VIP Member
    tinkerin, I understand your point about stats for some things, but really...there are things in life that don't need stats

I'm really going to make this brief since you seem to be solely concentrating on statistics....please re-read my post above....the part about game wardens jobs being more dangerous than regular LEO....the part about being by themselves....no backup for miles
    I'm not just talking about game wardens being in contact with armed people...believe me...I know all about the fact that people that have guns don't make them criminals, I'm being all inclusive with all the factors in discussion.

I hope you see my point that its more dangerous than regular LEO in a city or even in some counties.
    Maybe nobody is able to truly understand what I'm talking about unless you've been in a LEO shoes, I dunno. I don't know what else to say if you are still stuck on your point other than like other things on this board we disagree.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I don't necessarily disagree, but because the job appears more dangerous doesn't make it so. I think I'd rather confront hunters in the woods than have to go to some neighborhoods in MPLS, ST.Paul, and Chicago. Not all of those officers have partners. And does it really matter how long it takes for backup to get there? Isn't that the arguement most CCW'ers use for CCW'ing? I.E. cause we can't carry a LEO in our pocket, because when seconds count 911 is minutes away?

If there are facts to back up the opinion then that's all I'm asking for. I'm not going to operate on assumptions and appearances.

To say the job IS more dangerous because it APPEARS that way is like saying we need to reinstate the assault weapons ban when a hard look at the facts show otherwise.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...apons-ban.html
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

When I was in the corrections academy they told us we have the most dangerous job in the country. Don't know who really has the most dangerous job but I felt a lot safer there than on an oil rig out to sea. It's more of a matter of personal perception than any stat, as stats can be flawed. Like the old joke, ''99% of all statistics are made up''.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree, but because the job appears more dangerous doesn't make it so. I think I'd rather confront hunters in the woods than have to go to some neighborhoods in MPLS, ST.Paul, and Chicago. Not all of those officers have partners. And does it really matter how long it takes for backup to get there? Isn't that the arguement most CCW'ers use for CCW'ing? I.E. cause we can't carry a LEO in our pocket, because when seconds count 911 is minutes away?
    as for your bolded question above.....yes, just ask any officer thats on a call that goes in the crapper in a heartbeat and calls for backup...when all other officers are on calls already and it takes longer than normal for someone to get there....yes, it does matter, I don't have a stat for you but I'm not more sure of this than anything else I've experienced in my life

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    If there are facts to back up the opinion then that's all I'm asking for. I'm not going to operate on assumptions and appearances.

To say the job IS more dangerous because it APPEARS that way is like saying we need to reinstate the assault weapons ban when a hard look at the facts show otherwise.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...apons-ban.html
    about the CCW'ers using that argument....uhh yeah but thats a different topic...apples/oranges, but I understand what you're saying
    I'm not saying the job APPEARS more dangerous...I'm saying that from what I've personally experienced...and been told by a lot of other officers that are even more experienced than I

I hear what you're saying and understand your point....do you the same for me?
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

I wouldn't want to be a game warden. I know in my home town the game wardens are the only form of LEO that wear their vest every time they walk out of their house.

One of my friends is a Michigan DNR. He has told me numerous stories about disgruntled land owners, and hunters drawing on him. So far he has never been shot at, and he hopes that it never comes to that because he normally only has his issue pistol on him, and they have a rifle. You do the math the officer loses.
    Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed. -Winston Churchill-

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I hear what you're saying and understand your point....do you the same for me?
    sure

My arguement has far less to do with wardens and LEO's. All of them have a difficult and dangrous job and I thank them for what they do.

As I said (in different words earlier) my issue is with using the anti-gun language that the job is soooo dangerous because everyone they meet is armed. It's the same language used by anti's on why the average person shouldn't be armed and guns should only be for LEO's.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I hit it from a completely different angle. They wouldn't be in any situations if they weren't doing a completely immoral position. Explain to me how it's ok for the GOVERNMENT to tax a man to hunt for food(food that btw...existed on this earth long before any government or game wardens)? And a "game warden" is supposed to enforce that?
    Dangerous job...OF COURSE! They deserve whatever sinking ship they end up in.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I hit it from a completely different angle. They wouldn't be in any situations if they weren't doing a completely immoral position. Explain to me how it's ok for the GOVERNMENT to tax a man to hunt for food(food that btw...existed on this earth long before any government or game wardens)? And a "game warden" is supposed to enforce that?
    Dangerous job...OF COURSE! They deserve whatever sinking ship they end up in.
    I debated responding but couldn't help it.

Um... It has a lot to do with the fact that there aren't enough animals for everyone to just run out and start shooting them whenever they want to. So, to manage the wildlife population and make sure there are still animals for the next generation to hunt; we need wardens. They have to be paid somehow and I have no problem paying a reasonable and affordable amount for a hunting license. Hunting licenses are one of the few areas of 'tax' left where the money actually goes back where it's intended rather than into a general fund and redistributed to programs the money was never meant for.

Remember the buffalo on the plains??? Maybe we should just hunt deer and elk to extinction?

Who is John Galt?

The Mountain Times Online

Wildlife Officer Fatally Shoots Hunter in Wilkes

By Ron Fitzwater

In a statement released early Monday morning, the North Carolina State Wildlife Resources Commission reported that 12-year veteran wildlife officer Mark Minton was acting in self-defense when he shot and killed a hunter Saturday morning in the Cane Creek area of Wilkes County.

Preliminary reports from the commission state that an armed confrontation took place while Minton was patrolling on Cane Creek Road at shortly after 7 a.m., encountered 76-year-old Clyde Coffey of Lenoir. The confrontation resulted in Minton shooting Coffey once, mortally wounding him.

A law enforcement official speaking on condition of anonymity said, "During his patrol Minton discovered Coffey allegedly hunting turkey from a tree stand and baiting the birds underneath it, both illegal during Spring Turkey Season. Minton ordered Coffey to exit the tree to which the hunter allegedly responded that if he came down he would shoot Minton."

Coffey reportedly exited the tree stand and began to advance on the officer, continuing to threaten him with his weapon as Minton repeatedly ordered him to stop. At some point Minton found himself unable to retreat any further and fired on Coffey

In a statement to the press NCWRC officer Capt. Rusty Hunter said, "There is no evidence to suggest the officer confused the hunter with an animal. It appears, from all information gathered, the officer was protecting himself."

Saturday was the first day of Spring Turkey Season in the state and Minton was on patrol in the area checking for hunting violations when he entered property owned by Coffey's family, where the incident took place. Area residents listening to their police scanners reported hearing Minton's urgent calls for backup and medical assistance for Coffey following the shooting.

Administrative Captain M. Cardwell of the Wilkes County Sheriff's Department said that the call for assistance from Minton "came in at 7:35 a.m." that a shooting had taken place and that assistance and medical first responders were needed on scene. According to Cardwell, Wilkes County Deputies were first to arrive on the scene where they discovered Coffey dead from a single gunshot. Cardwell would not disclose any specifics about the scene deferring to the Wilkes County District Attorney's Office. Attempts to obtain comment from the WCDA as of yet have been unsuccessful.

WCSD remained on scene until around noon, when the incident scene and investigation was taken over by the State Bureau of Investigation, (required when a state officer is involved in an on-duty shooting).

The investigation of the incident remains in the hands of the SBI.

Jennifer Canada of the North Carolina Department of Justice confirmed that the incident had taken place and that it was under investigation by the SBI, but declined to offer any additional information saying, "it is our policy not to comment on ongoing investigations."

Just thought I would try to bring this thread back to where it started
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

VIP Member
    thanks for the update Brady
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

It looks like Florida does not formally track FWC/Warden involved shooting stats per se. Their response to my inquiry below

We don't keep statistics on shootings involving FWC officers. In the past year we only had one incident where our officers were fired on and none where we fired a weapon.

You may want to try contacting the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Office of Law Enforcement. They also have an online contact system at US FWS Law Enforcement - Contact Us.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I have run into/talked to half a dozen DNR officers here in Michigan and all were very friendly and professional. I looked into the training myself after getting "eliminated" from my company. The training video looked like military boot camp. The informational website explains that the DNR officers are responsible for not only enforcing laws regarding hunting and fishing here in Michigan but ALL laws that are being broken. They are LEOs.
    Last edited by chains1240; April 21st, 2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: edited for content

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    the toughest, most abrasive, rough LEO I've ever seen in my life was the Game Warden we had in our area when I was in high school, everybody knew not to mess with this guy
    All game wardens I've ever come in contact with were complete professionals, did their jobs just like any other LEO, but this is Texas

details should come out explaining exactly what took place, also...anybody on here from NC tell post what game officers can/can't do?

Texas Game Wardens go through the same 6 month academy our State Troopers do, they are Peace Officers just like us cops
    and they can go into/onto private property to investigate hunting
    They have a broader spectrum of powers in some circumstances. We use them allot around here in our job, their justice is swift and sweet.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

64zebra,

They can go into/onto private property to investigate not just hunting but _any_ state regulated breach of law and lawfullness as related to anything that has relation to wildlife _and/or_ control of fauna _and_ flora too. As others have noted they are state police.

USFWS have same powers only across the entire nation and not specific to a region or state, just like the FBI, US Treasury and the US Marshal Service.

A recent example of this occurred in my own region last week...

Bait shop ordered to destroy fish
    Thursday, April 16, 2009
    By ANGELA CARBONE
    acarbone@repub.com
    Bait shop ordered to destroy fish - MassLive.com
    Note: There is no image provided but this was a then leading item amongst the local news. This commercial district warehouse based building was raided by swarms of USFWS NE Region and MA EPO officers acting as lead, along with backup support by regular state police too.

Anyone who believes or mistakes an EPO/game warden state or federal as being anything less than a police is either very much uninformed and at worst grossly in error.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Maybe that Officer could have just backed out when threatened by a senile senior citizen and called for backup or called his family?

Hmmmmm...... .

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links