Wildlife officer shoots hunter?

This is a discussion on Wildlife officer shoots hunter? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Can't wait to see the rest of the information whenever they release it, like why the officer was on the private property in the first ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Can't wait to see the rest of the information whenever they release it, like why the officer was on the private property in the first place if that was the case as reported...
    Veteran Wildlife Officer Kills Turkey Hunter - Local News Story - WXII The Triad
    Veteran Wildlife Officer Kills Turkey Hunter
    First Wildlife Officer Involved In Shooting In 25 Years

POSTED: 11:43 am EDT April 12, 2009
    UPDATED: 10:22 am EDT April 13, 2009

WILKES COUNTY, N.C. -- State wildlife officials said a veteran officer who shot and killed a hunter in Wilkes County early Saturday morning near Cain Creek road on private property had been provoked and was acting in self-defense.

Wildlife Officer Mark Minton was patrolling the area for the first day of turkey hunting season when a confrontation occurred with a hunter, identified as 76-year-old Clyde Coffey.

Capt. Rusty Hunter with the North Carolina Wildlife Commission said the officer acted in self-defense when he shot and killed Coffey.

"There is no evidence to suggest the officer confused the hunter with an animal," Hunter said. "It appears, from all information gathered, the officer was protecting himself. And I don't know any further details than that."

Mark Minton is a 12-year veteran with the North Carolina Wildlife Commission.

Hunter said Minton was patrolling the area checking for bait traps, bag limits and hunting licenses.

Coffey's family members said Sunday they doubt Minton's claim that he was provoked. "He was taken from us and he was shot on his own land minding his own business. Who shoots a 76-year-old on his own land?" Coffey's daughter told WXII12 news.

"He was a family man who loved his family," she added. "They were the center of his world. This was totally senseless. He was the best father, and grandfather and great-grandfather."

Wildlife officials said this is no doubt a difficult time for its officer's and the victim's family.

"I just can't imagine being put in that situation as a law enforcement officer," Hunter said. "Every emotion you can think of as a supervisor of another wildlife officer, knowing that someone has been shot, whether it's an officer or a sportsman -- every emotion you can imagine you go through."

Minton is on administrative leave pending a State Bureau of Investigation inspection.

This is the first wildlife officer-involved shooting in almost 25 years.
    Ok, so he was possibly shooting in self defense...maybe so, but what was he doing patrolling private property? If he was a veteran of that department for 12 years, he damn well knew where his boundaries were. I wouldn't doubt it if the that came into play and maybe helped stoke the fire from the hunters point of view.

I hope they release more info on this...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    I think they can cross into private property, FYI.
    "Just blame Sixto"

+1 to Sixto.

Them and Border Patrol. Down in Texas, BP is on the land of a guy I know all the time. He doesn't mind in that case though.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

This doesn't sound right to me.
    Game officers usually come off as cop wannabees.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    This doesn't sound right to me.
    Game officers usually come off as cop wannabees.
    the toughest, most abrasive, rough LEO I've ever seen in my life was the Game Warden we had in our area when I was in high school, everybody knew not to mess with this guy
    All game wardens I've ever come in contact with were complete professionals, did their jobs just like any other LEO, but this is Texas

details should come out explaining exactly what took place, also...anybody on here from NC tell post what game officers can/can't do?

Texas Game Wardens go through the same 6 month academy our State Troopers do, they are Peace Officers just like us cops
    and they can go into/onto private property to investigate hunting
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Moderator
    In Alabama Game Wardens are State Police and usually back-up Sheriff deputies in understaffed rural counties
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think they can cross into private property, FYI.
    Yep.

State game wardens and Federal USFWS game wardens can lawfully and very often do crossover private lands as well as patrol amongst private lands too.
    Lawful and normal amongst state game wardens who often times are uniformed state police, off highway.

Further game wardens are the only persons allowed to access private lands without prior permission to track injured/wounded or dying game even on the behalf of the shooter who may not be allowed to follow on to said land.

As instructors we and our Environmental Police Officer (MA game warden) and USFWS game warden (a Federal LEO with same powers of US land law enforcement and arrest as a US Marhsall, in addition to accessing privately ownedlands) both instruct our BHE students to call for an EPO/Game Warden when tracking game onto private lands when not authorized to be there by the land owner. The EPO/Game Warden will respond and take up the act of tracking to down and recover the game, and again to do so is well within their specific police powers by state law.

They are not cop wannabees.
    They are real police, most often state police if not Federal law enforcement, and it would be wise for anyone in the woods or on the roads (yes they can ticket or even arrest you for anything anywhere just like a state police or US Marshall) who runs into one to treat them as such.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

State game wardens and Federal USFWS game wardens are the closest thing we have to Gestapo. They can come on your proerty, and in your house with out a warrant. Take your car, and gun with out a warrant.

Be nice to those guys......
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Wildlife officials said this is no doubt a difficult time for its officer's and the victim's family.
    Normally the MSM are quick to call somone a BG but if this is a rightous SD shooting then how is the 76 year old a victim?

Need more data for sure. Prayers all around: for the shooter and the shot and their respective families.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
    State game wardens and Federal USFWS game wardens are the closest thing we have to Gestapo. They can come on your proerty, and in your house with out a warrant. Take your car, and gun with out a warrant.

I am always nice.. When the Gestapo ask for my papers I smile and show them my papers.

State game wardens and Federal USFWS game wardens are the closest thing we have to Gestapo. They can come on your property, and in your house with out a warrant. Take your car, and gun with out a warrant.

US Marshal Service agents are by Federal laws empowered to do similar and same as related to their enforcement of laws tasking.

People should be aware these are most defintiely not cop wanna be persons.
    They are in fact special police, or rather uber cops. Recognize.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    State game wardens and Federal USFWS game wardens are the closest thing we have to Gestapo. They can come on your property, and in your house without a warrant. Take your car, and gun with out a warrant.

How is it that we have ANY type of law enforcement that can come into your house and/or take private property from you without a warrant? I personally don't believe this.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    How is it that we have ANY type of law enforcement that can come into your house and/or take private property from you without a warrant? I personally don't believe this.

I don't know what else they can do but they can board and search your boat, truck, camp,warehouse etc, without a warrant.
    I know 2 guys that lost a boat, trailer, truck, and 5k each because they were poaching alligators in Louisiana.

Bingo. ^^

State and Federal wildlife law violations as in regard to unlawful taking of game including poaching which is material state/federal property theft as well as animal abuse violations can and do real world lead to exactly that result as stated and more.
    Seriously ask any game warden, state wildlife administrator, or a USFWS agent to which are in the field all over the US working as enforcement officers.

- Janq

Yep, Game Wardens as we call them in Texas have possibly the longest arms in law enforcement when it comes to their jobs. Along with possibly some of the most severe penalties for what some might consider a "small" crime.

We will just have to see what comes of this story, and who is at fault. One thing about Game Wardens, they can pretty much be assured that the folks they come into contact with in their jobs are going to be armed either with a gun or something else that is deadly. Luckily most folks that are doing things wrong in the woods or on the water are not usually out for blood(other than animal), and allow the officer to disarm them and do their job.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links