Police: 3 Dead in California Hospital Shooting

Police: 3 Dead in California Hospital Shooting

This is a discussion on Police: 3 Dead in California Hospital Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; here we go again.. Police: 3 Dead in California Hospital Shooting - ABC News A hospital worker shot and killed two employees and then killed ...

Thumbs down Police: 3 Dead in California Hospital Shooting

here we go again..Police: 3 Dead in California Hospital Shooting - ABC News

A hospital worker shot and killed two employees and then killed himself at a medical center Thursday, sending panicked people fleeing, police and witnesses said.

The gunman was identified as Mario Ramirez, 50, of Alhambra, who died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said. The victims were Hugo Bustamante, 46, of Cypress, who died at the scene, and Kelly Hales, 56, of Redondo Beach, who was taken to the hospital's emergency room in critical condition and died several hours later.

Police Chief Anthony Batts said the gunfire erupted just before noon at Long Beach Memorial Medical Center. He said the motive remained under investigation but noted the violence came amid a flurry of recent shootings in the country.

"This is a trend of active shooters that you have seen nationwide," Batts said at a news conference. "This is becoming a national trend, probably because of the tension that's going on in our society today."

Batts said officers responding to the shooting found one victim inside the hospital and then discovered a second victim outside, on the north side of the hospital outside the emergency room. Both were taken to the emergency room; one was dead and the other was critical, he said.

The suspect was found dead near the second victim, he said.

"It is with a really heavy heart that I say we lost two members of our employee family and a third is critically injured," said Diana Hendel, the hospital's chief executive officer. "Our first priority was to ensure that our patients were safe and well cared for and I can assure that our patients are well cared for and are completely safe."

Hendel said the victims' families were receiving counseling through the hospital's chaplain service.

City gas department worker Dave Chamberlain told KCAL-TV he heard shots and then saw a man waving a gun outside the hospital shoot himself.

"We heard five shots and we took cover as well, and then ... we could see a man with a gun pointed at himself," he said.

A woman, Charity Perez, told the TV station her husband, a hospital valet, knew the gunman and identified him as a worker at a pharmacy. The police chief would not confirm that, pending notification of the employees' families.

Laura Harris told KCAL she saw the shooter walk up, pull a gun and shoot a hospital employee in the leg.Carmen Ortiz, 47, a hospital housekeeper, said she was outside for her break when she heard a gunshot and saw people running away from the building. She said her manager rushed out and told her to get inside."Then there was another shot, but I was inside," Ortiz said. "I was very frightened."

Hospital worker Edward Collins trembled as he recounted coming upon the violence.

"When I got off the elevator, I heard screams," Collins said. An upset friend told him she had just seen someone she knew shoot someone. Collins then saw the shooter holding what appeared to be a black handgun.

"He was standing over the guy he shot," he said.

Collins said the gunman eventually pointed the gun at his own head and pulled the trigger.

Melo Dotski, a radiology department clerk, said she had known the shooter by his first name for about two years. She said she used to help him with transactions when she worked as a teller at a bank at the medical center.

"He made all kinds of jokes, he was a funny man," Dotski said. "He was smiling, laughing, making sure everybody was doing OK."

Laura Harris told KCAL she saw the shooter walk up, pull a gun and shoot a hospital employee in the leg.

"Then the young man fell and then he stood over him and shot a couple more times. Then he (the shooter) put the gun up under his chin," and shot himself, she said.

A youth, Justin Hawkins, said doctors got people into rooms during the shooting before police arrived.

"The doctors did the best job possible," he told KCAL. "They made us feel safe, they got us in the rooms as fast as possible, making sure nobody was in the hallways, making sure everyone was fine. And then the cops showed up really fast."

Crompton-Hime said the hospital has 24-hour security and "there were no signs or indications that anything like this could have happened."

"I don't believe that there was anything different we could have done," she said. (Maybe shoot back)
    The approximately 460-bed hospital is one of six health care facilities in Southern California operated by the not-for-profit MemorialCare system, run by Memorial Health Services.
    I don't deal with psychos. I put them away. - Marion Cobretti- Cobra

wpk
    Man...if only they could have lived in a state with some gun control laws...
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    This wouldn't necessarily have been a slam-dunk for a CCW. Even in "shall issue" states not everyone carries because a lot of sheep fear guns whether their rights are intact or not. If a few CCers had been on the premises, and IF one of them had been in the vicinity of the first shooting, and IF he/she had been able to draw and fire rapidly and accurately, there would still be one dead victim.

Granted, one dead victim is better than two; but those are a lot of "ifs" to contend with. Carrying is an important part of stopping a crime like this. Unfortunately, being in the right place at the right time, and in the right mindset to react quickly, are also necessary elements. If any of us were there and it didn't happen right in front of our eyes, it would take a few seconds to conclude that A) it really was a gunshot we just heard, and then figure out B) where did it come from?

If that process takes only five seconds from the first "bang" that's enough time for a prepared killer to put down two people.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Last hospital I entered here in Texas was legally posted,so no legal carry inside the building.I can think of a couple situations that could of been the cause,He was gonna get fired and killed his supervisors,or he had a thing for the female and she was dating the other guy.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

While this doesn't make this any better, I do believe this was more of a targeted killing rather than a "random" killing. He obviously knew the people and seeing as how they were his direct line of management, it seemed he was coming back for some specific revenge.

When someone has already sown the seeds of murder in his heart, it is difficult to stop him.

The bad news never stops. I hope everyone is aware that the more of these random shootings that take place the more the government will be gunning towards our 2a rights.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

A tragedy, for sure. I'm sorry to hear about this.

I must say, the Chief's cognitive abilities are concerning to me.

"This is a trend of active shooters that you have seen nationwide," Batts said at a news conference.
    So now murder/suicides are active shooters....
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

It is impossible to know the heart and mind of a person that is intent on murder and mayhem. When a person looses all contact with sanity we hear about results like this, usually at their choice of time and place. It is a shame that our society has produced such a crop of nuts.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    A tragedy, for sure. I'm sorry to hear about this.

I must say, the Chief's cognitive abilities are concerning to me.

So now murder/suicides are active shooters....
    Not sure what he meant by active shooters, is there another kind? But, to his credit, he did attribute this to growing tension in society rather than the availability of guns. He could have really done some anti-gun PR if he'd wanted to.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Not sure what he meant by active shooters, is there another kind? But, to his credit, he did attribute this to growing tension in society rather than the availability of guns. He could have really done some anti-gun PR if he'd wanted to.
    True, and re-reading my post I think I came off a bit hard on the Chief. I just think it's important to get some facts straight before going to the media and making a Statement. Now he's given them "another active shooting incident" to run with.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    True, and re-reading my post I think I came off a bit hard on the Chief. I just think it's important to get some facts straight before going to the media and making a Statement. Now he's given them "another active shooting incident" to run with.
    I don't know that you were hard on him, he did use a puzzling term, active shooters, I'm an active shooter - I'm going shooting today, but it won't be at people. I'm not sure where he came up with that term or what it means. I tend to think it's not gun-owner friendly though.

Right now active-shooter is someone moving and shooting everyone they come across - or some semblance of that depending on who you talk to.

Active shooter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Virginia-Tech, Columbine, Etc.

Reading this concerns me. I work in a large Level 1 Trauma Center here in our states capital, and all I am authorized to carry is an extendable baton and hand cuffs. Can something like this happen where I'm employed??? Definately! Heck, at least I'm issued a vest. Maybe I'll survive the shots if I'm not fast enough in ducking out of the way...

Senior Moderator
    I don't think this guy fits the active shooter definition:

"... an armed person who has used deadly physical force on other persons and continues to do so while having unrestricted access to additional victims."

I would think, and not that this is at all relevant or important, that an active shooter would be someone that is in the process of shooting victims and LEO responds to the ongoing threat.

Sounds like in this case, a guy shot two people and himself and then the police were called. That's very different than Columbine and VT.

It could be that anyone that has shot someone in a public place and may be on the loose is an active shooter.

There is no way to stop this kind of crime.
    No law can stop it...
    It could happen in the middle of a police station...
    It could happen in England, Australia, or Canada...
    It could happen in a room crowded with CCW'ers...

A determined shooter who is willing to kill a few others and then quickly turn the gun on himself cannot be stopped. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links