Families of Slain Somali Pirates seek U.S. Pardon and Compensation

This is a discussion on Families of Slain Somali Pirates seek U.S. Pardon and Compensation within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://mobile.reuters.com/mobile/m/F...22?src=RSS-USN I hope the kid rots in jail and the families don't see a dime. Its almost funny how highly the families always speak of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Families of Slain Somali Pirates seek U.S. Pardon and Compensation

Families of Slain Somali Pirates seek U.S. Pardon and Compensation

http://mobile.reuters.com/mobile/m/F...22?src=RSS-USN

I hope the kid rots in jail and the families don't see a dime.

Its almost funny how highly the families always speak of these criminals.

When will people learn that when you do bad things... Bad things happen to you.

By Abdiqani Hassan

GALKAYO, Somalia (Reuters) - The mother of a teenager facing trial in the United States for piracy off Somalia wants President Barack Obama to pardon her son because he was misled into joining a sea gang.

Abduwali Abdukhadir Muse was captured by U.S. forces when they rescued an American sea captain being held hostage by pirates. Three of Muse's comrades were killed in the operation.

"My son was influenced by other gangs. He only got into piracy 15 days before he was captured. He is very young and didn't know what he was doing is a crime," said Adar Abdirahman Hassan.

"I am appealing the United States and President Obama to release my son," the mother said, adding that Muse is only 16.

Muse's father said he was 15, according to Muse's New York lawyer, but a U.S. magistrate agreed with prosecutors that he was 18 and ruled he can be tried as an adult.

But Mohamed Saed, a former classmate of Muse's, said the young man had always wanted to join the buccaneers.

"He used to talk about ransoms paid all the time, and he was encouraged by the big shares the pirates receive," Saed said.

U.S. prosecutors say Muse "conducted himself as the leader of the pirates," and have charged him with piracy, conspiracy to seize a ship by force, conspiracy to commit hostage taking and related firearms offenses. He faces a maximum sentence of life in prison if convicted.

But Somalis say their society is highly hierarchical and a youth like Muse would not have led much older men than himself.

"DIRTY MONEY"

One of the pirates slain in the U.S. raid was 34-year-old Ali Aden Elmi. His widow told Reuters that she stopped taking his money when she realized its source.

"He was very afraid to tell people that he received ransom shares," Fadumo Osman said. "I stopped taking his money and decided to survive separately. It is dirty money and I could not feed my children on food that he bought with illicit money."

Elmi's gang had briefly seized the 17,000-tonne Maersk Alabama earlier in April. Its captain, Richard Phillips, apparently volunteered to get into a lifeboat with the pirates to act as a hostage and secure the safety of his 20 American crew members, who managed to retake control of their ship.

Phillips later tried to escape by jumping into the sea and swimming toward a U.S. warship but his captors hauled him back.

The U.S. Navy freed Phillips, 53, killed three of his captors, including Elmi, and arrested Muse.

A widow of one of the other slain men said she had no idea her husband was involved in any crime.

"He told me he was going fishing. He did not show signs of being a pirate. I was very shocked to hear that my husband was surrounded by Americans," said Hamdi Jamac, a mother of three.

"I want his remains because my children cannot believe their father was killed at sea. I want compensation for this killing as my children are desperate and have no one that can help."

Jamac's mother-in-law also wants the body of her 29-year-old son and compensation for his death.

"Killing our sons was not the right decision. The U.S. has to pay the price for what they have done to us. There was another peaceful way of solving the crisis, that would save both the captive and our children," Mulaho Mohamud said.

(Additional reporting by Abdiaziz Hassan; Writing by Helen Nyambura-Mwaura; Editing by Giles Elgood)
    Last edited by dsee11789; April 22nd, 2009 at 03:44 PM.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

2. Remove Ads

Wow, the mentality of these people amazes me...they want compensation,for men killed while armed and holding a man hostage, men who are willing to kill unarmed merchant seamen. How about they compensate the seamen whom they've held captive,their families for suffering, the insurance companies which paid ransom, the businesses who lost money while their cargoes were captive....and on and on ?
    With this kind of mentality it's no wonder that their country is a cesspool,what can you expect ? Typical of "the U.S. is responsible for all of our problems" mindset that's rampant in that part of the world. Sharia Law just got passed in Somalia, in a few days these "ladies' will be covered from head to toe in 30 yards of black fabric, and won't be allowed to talk to a male reporter on pain of death by stoning. How nice.
    Last edited by PNUT; April 22nd, 2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typo

I'd give him a handful of lead, coming out of the barrel of a gun. Oh, and a one finger salute.
    I don't deal with psychos. I put them away. - Marion Cobretti- Cobra

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    They want compensation for their dead criminals? How typical.

Sadly, those elected damn @$$es in office will probably pay it too!!! What a joke.

Pay them off with a few bombs and cruise missiles
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Just the title of this thread makes me ill.

Does this surprise anyone? I wonder why it took this long for them to want to sue the United States.

Nothing against lawyers, but I'd say there are plenty of bottom feeding ones that would be willing to take the case.

As for the pardon........."Pardon me ......ma'm......your son is guilty!"
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Ironic that the guy we have in custody probably would have wanted a million or two in ransom. Now we will be spending at least that much for his legal defense and incarceration. So either way, we end up spending the money.

We need to vaporize these guys right at the source. Blow them and their motherships out of the water.

Congrats to the Navy Seals sharpshooters. Well done.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Administrator
    I want compensation because I just had to read all of that whining and pitiful excuse making.

I have a GREAT idea.
    Tell them that they WILL BE GIVEN MUCH COMPENSATION in the way of MILLIONS of U.S. Dollars and the money has already been deposited for them in a Nigerian bank account.

The appropriate response would violate several forum rules.......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    They will probably file their suits in the World Court and be granted compensation. Then our government, wanting to show how much we value world opinion will pay it.

Of course if we pay them based on their current age/ average life expectancy/ life time earnings potential, they might get $50.00.

Hang 'em high...this one and all the rest of 'em.

If I say any more, my post would just be removed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Pay them off with a few bombs and cruise missiles
    Agreed. A cruise missile is what, several million? So there you go. Compensation.

They never said it had to be cash

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I want compensation because I just had to read all of that whining and pitiful excuse making.

I have a GREAT idea.
    Tell them that they WILL BE GIVEN MUCH COMPENSATION in the way of MILLIONS of U.S. Dollars and the money has already been deposited for them in a Nigerian bank account.

ROFLMAO.....good one.

if we compensate them with a cruise missile we should let the families know exactly where to gather so they'll be the first to be compensated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links