Bad - Shooter arrested for killing man breaking into his car - Page 2

Bad - Shooter arrested for killing man breaking into his car

This is a discussion on Bad - Shooter arrested for killing man breaking into his car within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We all know that much about Texas though Space Cowboy. Most everything is justifiable and legal in Texas when it comes to shootin folks. Texas ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad - Shooter arrested for killing man breaking into his car

We all know that much about Texas though Space Cowboy.
    Most everything is justifiable and legal in Texas when it comes to shootin folks. Texas likely has some statute or precedent for shooting a guy who farts in an elevator as long as it occurred after dawn and prior to dusk or some such.

The rest of the country though isn't that way to a large degree and this event occurred in VA, not Texas.

We need more info...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    though ....for shooting a guy who farts in an elevator as long as it occurred after dawn and prior to dusk or some such.
    - Janq
    Anytime for me...he/she is toast farting in a 'vator. :))

The article refers to an altercation. Let's hope it was the type which required lethal force on the part of the car owner.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member
    Deadly force to protect property in VA will get you charged every time. The only justification is protection of your life. Even then you have a "duty to retreat". Not having a Castle Doctrine here in VA sucks.

My neck of the woods...

Interesting.

The initial reports on the news said the shooter looked outside and saw his girlfriend being held at gunpoint by the BG who was trying to steal the car...

This happened during daylight hours. The BG arrived at the hospital around 5pm.

I, cynically, suspect there may be a great deal of politics involved in whether or not the shooter gets charged.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Too many details are missing.
    This.

another source

UPDATE: VCU student charged with murder in Union Hill shooting

April 22, 2009 05:42 PM EDT

April 23, 2009 01:48 PM EDT

By Rachel DePompa - bio | email

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - The man who police say shot a robber in the Union Hill neighborhood is now being charged with second degree murder.

Witnesses say Eric Driver, 25 and a student at VCU, came out of his home to find his girlfriend being held at gunpoint by a masked thief who was attempting to break into her car. They say he rushed to her defense, shooting the man six times.

The man shot, Jamal Holman, 24, was rushed to VCU Medical Center with his mask still on, where he later died.

Police confirmed that Holman did break into the vehicle. Originally, police were not calling the case a homicide investigation.

(c) 2009. WWBT, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Here's the URL. Not sure I know how to make it a link.

VCU student charged with murder in Union Hill shooting - NBC12 News, Weather Sports, Traffic, and Programming Guide for Richmond, VA |

I'm sure that an important piece of the puzzle will be what the homeowner said/says in his report to the police.
    This where having an attorney is VERY important.

Stay armed...keep your mouth closed without an attorney...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Originally not called a homicide investigation...then second degree murder seems quite a leap.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Wait a second...if his girlfriend was being held at gunpoint, then he had reasonable belief that her life was in imminent danger, no? Isn't deadly force justifiable when threats of death/serious bodily injury/sexual assault are encountered? Whether to your own self or to innocents around you? Are the laws that different in VA than in NC, or am I reading this whole thing wrong? (Be patient with me, I'm still pretty new to all this.)

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    More details are needed.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Wait a second...if his girlfriend was being held at gunpoint, then he had reasonable belief that her life was in imminent danger, no? Isn't deadly force justifiable when threats of death/serious bodily injury/sexual assault are encountered? Whether to your own self or to innocents around you? Are the laws that different in VA than in NC, or am I reading this whole thing wrong? (Be patient with me, I'm still pretty new to all this.)
    Yes. What's missing from every news report on this incident is something key to that defense. The offenders gun. Where is it, what was it? Why is it still characterized as breaking into a car rather than robbery?

There are still too few details - perhaps because the details we are grasping for don't exist after all. This needs to play out more.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    We all know that much about Texas though Space Cowboy.
    Most everything is justifiable and legal in Texas when it comes to shootin folks. Texas likely has some statute or precedent for shooting a guy who farts in an elevator as long as it occurred after dawn and prior to dusk or some such.

The rest of the country though isn't that way to a large degree and this event occurred in VA, not Texas.

We need more info...

- Janq
    Wow Janq, I am going to have to look for that statute, cause after some of the chili we make down here, farting in an elevator could be considered assault with a deadly weapon.

What I am not getting is if the girlfriend is being held at gunpoint, how are we not at the point of justified shoot in most every state in the union? Maybe we don't have all the details on this one just yet but from the OP to the post where the GF was a gunpoint we made a substantial jump into the realm of justification IMO.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Deadly force to protect property in VA will get you charged every time. The only justification is protection of your life. Even then you have a "duty to retreat". Not having a Castle Doctrine here in VA sucks.
    Everyone I've talked to in VA says specifically that we DON"T have a duty to retreat. We can't go out and pursue a threat, even in our own home, but we don't have to retreat. Maybe that's just Va Beach cause they're very gun friendly.

But like you said he was protecting his property with deadly force... at least from what I've read in the little article... and that is not justified according to VA law.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Too many details are missing.
    Agreed. Was there truly an 'altercation' where the shooter feared for his life or was he just pissed that someone was breaking into his car?
    HK45c V1

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links