Holy cow Arsonist almost strikes twice

This is a discussion on Holy cow Arsonist almost strikes twice within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tenn. officials charge boy, 9, with arson CHATTANOOGA, Tenn., April 16 (UPI) -- A 9-year-old boy faces an aggravated arson charge for a store fire ...

Thread: Holy cow Arsonist almost strikes twice

Holy cow Arsonist almost strikes twice

Tenn. officials charge boy, 9, with arson
    CHATTANOOGA, Tenn., April 16 (UPI) -- A 9-year-old boy faces an aggravated arson charge for a store fire he admitted starting, Chattanooga, Tenn., fire officials said.

Lt. Anthony Moore of the Chattanooga Fire Investigation Division said the boy, whose identity was not reported, confessed to starting the Tuesday fire that destroyed a Dollar General Store in Hixson, Tenn., Chattanoogan.com reported Wednesday.

Fire investigators said the boy's mother told them her son had started the fire.

The boy told firefighters he started the fire using matches and rolls of toilet paper in the store's bathroom, firefighters said. The child said he started the blaze because he was mad at his mother, investigators said.

No one was injured and firefighters stopped the blaze from destroying nearby buildings.

They caught him again trying to light some gas pumps on fire across from the store he burnt down.This kid needs locked up and some serious counseling
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

They might want to take a close look at that mother, too.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Wow, that's chillingly scary. I agree, this kid needs a thorough evaluation (mom too!) and maybe some in-patient counseling/treatment!

Also, is it just me, or did anyone read the thread title and think this had something to do with a cow setting things on fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Wow, that's chillingly scary. I agree, this kid needs a thorough evaluation (mom too!) and maybe some in-patient counseling/treatment!

Also, is it just me, or did anyone read the thread title and think this had something to do with a cow setting things on fire?
    I thought for sure that there would be something about barbeque.
    I was soooo disappointed.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

At least the mom did inform the police, some would have hid that info..."He's a good boy and could have never done that...he doesn't ever lie either."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    At least the mom did inform the police, some would have hid that info..."He's a good boy and could have never done that...he doesn't ever lie either."
    That was my first thought as well. Hopefully the kid (and mom?) can sort out his issues.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post

I thought that it was about someone going around burning Holy Cows, I thought of steaks.
    this kid has very serious problems, I wonder if he can ever be trusted again, is there really a "cure" for this kind of person. Should someone as potentially dangerous as this ever be out of a cell, no matter the age ? He hasn't burned up anyone yet, that we know of, why give him a chance ?

He's mad at his mother, so he burns down a store??? There's a lot that isn't right inside that kid's head.

I've understood arson. I mean, of course, its hard to understand crime in general, especially major crime, but arson seems to be especially "huh"? Why would you ever do that if you're a normal person, especially a kid? Obviously this kid is probably like that one kid from Toy Story - the one who mutilates all his dolls and blows stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    He's mad at his mother, so he burns down a store??? There's a lot that isn't right inside that kid's head.
    Yeah, exactly. There's some kind of disconnect or a faulty wire there. My son gets mad, he raises his voice or stomps off. (Neither are acceptable, young man, by the way!) Don't think ARSON would occur to him or the other millions of "normal" boys.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My 9 year old son has had issues with fire. Never in anger, although he does have a temper, just experimenting. Once in an attempt to hide what he was doing he almost caught his room on fire. We've done everything we know short of counseling. Talked and talked. Showed him pictures of houses and people burned up. Talked about personal experiences with fire. Talked about hurting or killing family, burning up all his things. Finally it sank in, had not had an issue in almost a year. Til Thursday, when he started experimenting again. Burning plastic dinosaurs. Some plastic thing I don't even recognize. But then trying to burn another lighter. More talking. I know he has issues. One grandmother ill with cancer a long way from here, another died last year and now we're living in her house, changing schools, addition of a brother 2 years ago, his Mom being chronically ill, his own health problems (migraines & such). But he's just a normal kid, makes good grades, probably could go up a grade, most of the time a great kid. Heck I played with fire as a kid and got over it, didn't turn in to an arsonist, but I don't think I should tell him that. I want to secure the lighters but wife isn't there yet.

Anyway, my point is that not every 9 year old firesetter is a lifetime criminal, and not every situation is black and white.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Paramedic70002 -- excellent point. There's a very distinct difference between a fascination with fire (and sometimes, the accidents that happen as a result) and setting fires in anger, which is what the kid in the OP did.

Children with issues

Paramedic, , some of my children have had issues that we have had to deal with both pharmaceutically, and inpatient. I truly understand what your dealing with. Best news is that you realize and recognize the problem. That is the starting point for solving any problem. Of all my children, (all are over 21) I have one whom I still do not trust alone with a weapon. She knows that and understands. She is married now, very level and responsible about her meds. All my children get a Kimber compact on their 21st birthday, except for her. Maybe in the future that can be rectified. So keep the faith, be strong, do what you know is best. When you don't know what is best for sure, go with what you believe is best. Your instinct will fail you rarely. You and your family are in my prayers paramedic.
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

Links