Nail guns next in Australia?

This is a discussion on Nail guns next in Australia? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; From Fox News: Man Dies After Being Shot 30 Times With Nail Gun Friday, April 24, 2009 A shocking X-ray shows how a man died ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nail guns next in Australia?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Nail guns next in Australia?

From Fox News:
    Man Dies After Being Shot 30 Times With Nail GunFriday, April 24, 2009

A shocking X-ray shows how a man died with up to 30 nails fired into his skull by a high-powered nail gun.

Sydney, Australia, homicide squad detectives have released the graphic image as they make a fresh appeal for information about Chen Liu's murder.

The decomposed body of the 27-year-old, also known as Anthony Liu, was found dumped in the Georges River last November, wrapped in a domestic rug.

He was bound with electrical wires and an extension cord and the carpet was neatly folded with each end tucked in and then bound with three strips of wire.

Officers with Strike Force Renfree, formed to investigate the murder, have revealed they believe he was shot dead elsewhere and driven to the river in his own blue 2005 Range Rover Sport 4WD.

Detective Inspector Mark Newham said yesterday that post-mortem examination results had showed Liu was shot repeatedly in the head up to 30 times with a high-powered nail gun.

"Similar types of nail guns can fire nails up to 85mm long," Insp Newham said.

Detectives said the nail gun used in the murder was a standard cordless, framing, gas-charged gun, widely available for sale and hire
    And the source story from The Daily Telegraph:

X-ray shows true horror of Chen Liu's nailgun death
    By Janet Fife-Yeomans
    The Daily Telegraph
    April 24, 2009 08:36am
    Nail gun victim – new images
    Police have re-issued an appeal for more information about the death of Anthony Liu.

• X-ray shows nails in man's skull
    • Police say he was shot up to 30 times
    • Appealing for help to find the killer

A SHOCKING X-ray shows how a man died with up to 30 nails fired into his skull by a high-powered nailgun.

Sydney homicide squad detectives have released the graphic image as they make a fresh appeal for information about Chen Liu's murder.

The decomposed body of the 27-year-old, also known as Anthony Liu, was found dumped in the Georges River last November, wrapped in a domestic rug.

He was bound with electrical wires and an extension cord and the carpet was neatly folded with each end tucked in and then bound with three strips of wire.

Officers with Strike Force Renfree, formed to investigate the murder, have revealed they believe he was shot dead elsewhere and driven to the river in his own blue 2005 Range Rover Sport 4WD.

Detective Inspector Mark Newham said yesterday that post-mortem examination results had showed Mr Liu was shot repeatedly in the head up to 30 times with a high-powered nailgun.

"Similar types of nailguns can fire nails up to 85mm long," Insp Newham said.

Detectives said the nailgun used in the murder was a standard cordless, framing, gas-charged gun, widely available for sale and hire.

Mr Liu was believed to be gay and lived with his partner in Rockdale. He was reported missing by a male friend two weeks before two children, aged 9 and 14, found his body in Oatley Bay.

A migrant from China who arrived in Australia in 2000, Mr Liu married an Australian woman but they divorced some years ago and did not stay in touch.
    Well, it wasn't HANDGUN violence...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

2. Remove Ads

I'll preach to the choir, but how many times has someone on this board pointed out that anything can be a weapon? Hundreds of thousands of times, perhaps? If guns are outlawed, the perpetrators of violent crimes will simply use knives, bats, cars, feet, hands or nail guns.

We do not have a gun problem. We have a people problem. People who will commit crimes will find a way, regardless of the efforts of authorities. After all, they are out to thumb their noses at the authorities.

Back in my hole...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

A shocking X-ray shows how a man died with up to 30 nails fired into his skull by a high-powered nail gun.
    The hyperbole even sounds similar!

There was nothing exceptional about the nail gun, the velocity of the nails is a function of the pressure from the air compressor.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

I want to know how evil is this nail gun? Does it "shoot", has a "pistol grip" capable of firing "multiple" times with a "high cap" magazine? Well we all know what needs to be done to keep society safe now don't we.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

It's Australia. What're they gonna do: ban dried kangaroo crap?

There was nothing exceptional about the nail gun, the velocity of the nails is a function of the pressure from the air compressor.
    Yup.

A hammer has weight sufficient to pound a nail. Of course, if a murderer wants to train that hammer on your forehead, it's gonna hurt.

A screwdriver has sufficient shape and strength to fit in the end of a screw. But that means it's sufficiently "sharp," in a manner of speaking, to poke holes in body parts if a murderer should decide to be heinous.

A rock ... a finger ... a stick ... a workman's boot ... a flashlight ... an elbow ... a can of beans ... a knee ... a taco sauce bottle ... the heel of the hand ... a 60W lamp from the end table ... an electrical cord from the lamp ... a well-made tie ... a child's ruler from school ... a sock with something heavy in the end ... a paint brush's wooden handle. Think of it. Every single one of these things, and a thousand others, can be used to increase a criminal's reach, strength, leverage, power. The critical element is: the criminal. The tool is largely irrelevant. Particularly a common, ordinary tool.

Perhaps we should ban living. Ayn Rand feared that and warned that the leeches would ultimately demand that.

It's the pinnacle of insanity and naivete to believe that the elimination of a dozen or a hundred of these things from existence and the criminalization of upstanding people for mere possession of these common tools and items will limit the heinous criminal behaviors of murders, rapists, robbers ... who are, by definition, NOT the upstanding people of the world.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I want to know how evil is this nail gun? Does it "shoot", has a "pistol grip" capable of firing "multiple" times with a "high cap" magazine? Well we all know what needs to be done to keep society safe now don't we.

Quick, somebody call the Brady folks! They need to draft a press release demanding all contractors/handymen immediately register their high capacity assault nailguns! We need to set up a licensing program that will help protect us from these evil killing devices. We need to close the yardsale loophole (straw purchases are even legal *gasp*!!!).
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

All I can think of is Danny Glover in "Lethal Weapon" when he confronted and dispatched the BG's to the next world at his house with a nail gun.

Riggs : "What happend to the bad guys?"

Glover : " I nailed both of them!!!"

Seriously though. Criminals will use whatever they can to turn it into a weapon, it's just that simple.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; April 25th, 2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: add spacing between words
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Seriously though. Criminals will use whatever they can to turn it into a weapon, it's just that simple.
    Precisely so.

This doesn't sound like a robbery, or murder for fun (if there is such a thing). Obviously an emotional rampage...a lover spurned, a friend's wrath...this dead man new his killer.

OMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm waiting for this to be dubbed the "Home Depot Murder" - nail gun, wire, extension cord, carpet. Get 'em all at Home Depot, it's your one-stop shopping destination for creative murders.

Maybe the Aussies will try to end the flea market loophole, too...

wild guess, but id say start looking for construction workers.

Could this be the one used in the crime?
    Attached Images
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    These nail guns have the potential to be very dangerous. They even have portable carbon-dioxide tanks that you can carry around with you (like paint ball guns)

Oh, and anything can be a weapon!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse50 View Post
    Quick...We need to close the yardsale loophole (straw purchases are even legal *gasp*!!!).
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    ...Maybe the Aussies will try to end the flea market loophole, too...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Perhaps we should ban living. Ayn Rand feared that and warned that the leeches would ultimately demand that.
    It's been suggested:

Church of Euthenasia.

Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

David Graber

The links I provided are safe for audiences, the CoE website is not (I linked to its Wikipedia article - I highly recommend against visiting the site unless it has been cleaned up considerably since I accidentally found myself there about six years ago).

The fringe of the Left is a maze of contradictions. You would think that out of control murder rates would be good for the environment in the end (large scale conflicts don't apply - too much scorched earth and pollution).

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links