Only 1/2 of the Story

Only 1/2 of the Story

This is a discussion on Only 1/2 of the Story within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 1,200 Tenn. handgun permits canceled since 2005 - WMC-TV: News, Weather, Traffic, Radar, and Sports for Memphis, TN; WMCTV.com | 1,200 Tenn. handgun permits canceled ...

Only 1/2 of the Story

1,200 Tenn. handgun permits canceled since 2005 - WMC-TV: News, Weather, Traffic, Radar, and Sports for Memphis, TN; WMCTV.com |

1,200 Tenn. handgun permits canceled since 2005

April 25, 2009 02:38 PM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Nearly 1,200 Tennesseans have had their state-issued handgun carry permits revoked or suspended for running afoul of the law over the last four years.

Under a bill advancing in the Legislature, the public would be barred from finding out their names or the circumstances that caused them to lose their rights to carry loaded weapons in public.

The measure sponsored by Democratic Rep. Eddie Bass of Prospect and Republican Senate Majority Leader Mark Norris of Collierville would bar the release of any information related to "the issuance, renewal, expiration, suspension, or revocation of a handgun carry permit."

The measure is scheduled for a hearing in the House Finance Committee on Tuesday and the companion bill is awaiting a full Senate vote.

Read HB0959 at: Tennessee General Assembly Main Page

This only tells 1/2 of the story. It also makes the rest of the handgun permit holders information not public record. Right now news agencies are publishing lists of law abiding citizens personal information. This bill would make all of that private.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

VIP Member
    1200 permits revoked/suspended in a 4 year period sounds kind of high. Has anyone really checked the figures to see if that is correct?

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    That number sounds really high, are they including expired permits too? Because if 1200 people have lost their licenses in 4 years I dont think I like how the state is issuing.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Also, consider what the total number of permits is. 1200 revocations out of a quarter million permits would be a rate of about one half of one percent, which I think wouldn't rattle me, but I bet it's less.

Around six years ago, I did some research on pistol permits in my former state of Connecticut. There were about 120,000 pistol permits at the time, and the adult population (21 on over) was slightly over one million. That said that roughly ten percent of the adult population in little liberal CT had pistol permits, which was quite a revelation.

I then tried to find the number of permit revocations, and the number was small, like maybe a dozen or two a year, which equates to only hundredths of a percent per year of the whole pistol permit group.

Still, one needs to be very, very cautious when looking at numbers, which may have been the point of the original post. Does that 1200 number include expirations, or is it really revocations ?

"Revoked or suspended" /= 'Expired'

There is a problem here as this number is greater even than same for the state of FL which is at 4,612 total as dating back to 10/1/1987; Concealed Weapon Summary Report - Division of Licensing, DOACS, and people widely assuned that blood would be running in the streets and murder on every block if Florida allowed citizen carry...which obviously was very much not the result in reality.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Last time that I checked there were something like 222,860k permits in TN.

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    Last time that I checked there were something like 222,860k permits in TN.
    Are you sure about that number?

That would be 222,860,000 permits...
    TN only has about 6 million residents...

I know what you mean...I'm just sayin'
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

222,822 as of 3/31/09. I got it from the State website.

Statistics and Research: Driver License / Handgun Data

There's more than 33k just in Shelby County ,where Memphis is. Imagine the murder rate with no permits....

Links