A couple of good LTE in Roanoke Times

This is a discussion on A couple of good LTE in Roanoke Times within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/201925 last two Hunting skills are not to be feared Re: Rita Ross's "Hunting teaches children to kill" (April 18 letter): I would like to ...

Thread: A couple of good LTE in Roanoke Times

VIP Member

A couple of good LTE in Roanoke Times

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/201925
    last two

Hunting skills are not to be feared

Re: Rita Ross's "Hunting teaches children to kill" (April 18 letter):

I would like to respond with a comparison. If one were to take a brief look at the sport of NASCAR, they might say that it is all about fast driving. In reality, NASCAR is a highly analytical sport that requires utmost control and discipline to attain victory. I believe hunting is in this way similar.

Ross drew the picture of a child hunter who, after years of killing animals, is desensitized to violence and bloodshed, so much so that it is "not unreasonable that a child of any age might take a gun to anyone who upsets him or her."

By this logic, one would also think NASCAR is responsible for the car that travels 75 mph in a 45 mph zone. But just as NASCAR is about more than speed, hunting is about more than killing. Any experienced hunter knows that successful hunters must learn self-control, patience, respect for their surroundings and, most important, responsibility.

Ironically, all violent tragedies I've ever read about do not stem from exposure to hunting but rather a lack of what the art of hunting can provide.

LUKE DYE
    FERRUM

Children learn life lessons while hunting

Re: "Hunting teaches children to kill," April 18 letter:

The claim by the writer that hunting is a gateway drug to murder is utter nonsense. Teaching a child to hunt is a huge investment of time and money. The end result of this process is that a child learns safety, ethics, responsibility and the value of hard work, all while spending time with mom or dad in the outdoors. Rita Ross would have us believe that a child being taught by a parent will grow to be more violent than the child sitting in front of the TV shooting people in video games.

Further, she equates hunting with revenge when she states, "It's not unreasonable that a child of any age might take a gun to anyone who upsets him or her after having killed animals for years." Hunting is not an activity driven by a particular hatred of the quarry. Hunting is often an activity resulting in failure -- a valuable lesson in itself.

Maybe, just maybe, the lesson that we can't have everything we want, when we want it, is something we should be teaching more.

JERRY WIDENER
    SALEM
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Couple more

Tea party-goers have had it with increasing debt - Roanoke.com

Claims about hunting are ludicrous

Re: Rita Ross's ridiculous comments on April 18 in "Hunting teaches children to kill":

Her letter claims that if you allow or teach your child the sport of hunting game, your child will "take a gun to anyone who upsets him or her."

Well, let me, someone who has hunted everything from rabbits to deer to black bear, assure you that I have never once thought of bringing a firearm into a disagreement with someone. This argument has been beaten to death. When will people realize that you cannot blame an inanimate object for the actions of humans?

I grew up around firearms and was properly educated in their handling and use. The fact that my parents took the time to teach me about gun safety along with many other things, including how to be a decent human being, plus lots of praying, has resulted in what I believe most people would call a good person.

I will sleep easier and hunt more freely knowing that someone as ignorant about hunting and guns as Ross apparently will not be handling any firearms in the near future. I thank her for that.

BRAD CRAWFORD
    ROANOKE
    Hunting puts kids in tune with nature

A letter from Rita Ross concerning "Parents glorying in their children's killing wildlife" encourages me to respond ("Hunting teaches children to kill," April 18).

Ross refers to pictures printed in The Roanoke Times that relate to killing gobblers during Virginia's spring turkey hunting season.

Ross hopes these children "grow up to be nice people." She further says "the family that slays together stays together."

Hunting wild game is a necessary part of wildlife management. Further, it is important that, as parents, we teach our children responsible use of firearms and hunting ethics.

Parents who share hunting skills with their children are not contributing to social mayhem. They are teaching ecology, land use, habitat preservation, socialization and family interaction.

By contrast, you may have seen a movie review the same day as Ross's letter for "Crank: High Voltage" ("'Crank' amps up the action"). The review mentions frenetic, bloody violence; "here's the quest, here's who you have to kill to achieve it"; and a bigot at war with a world of gay, brown and yellow people.

Ross should be more concerned with the violence and anti-social behavior glorified in today's movies than with families responsibly enjoying our natural resources.

JOHN L. EBY JR.
    ROANOKE
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Another today

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/202578
    [five down]

Teaching hunting, and so much more

I would like to know where Rita Ross got her facts about "Hunting teaches children to kill" (April 18 letter). I am a parent of a son who loves to hunt. His father took him hunting at a very early age so that he could teach him the skills of hunting and, most of all, gun and hunting safety.

He and his father love hunting together, and hunting has not taught them to kill anyone. Hunting has given them many hours together in the field doing what both of them enjoy, and I am very proud of them when they have a successful hunt. We do eat what they harvest.

I hope parents continue to be proud of their children when they have a successful hunt because it shows they have the patience and the skill to enjoy a sport that is enjoyed by many.

By the way, my husband and son have not fallen out of their tree stands because they practice the safety rules when it comes to hunting and tree stands.

JANICE WRIGHT
    TROUTVILLE
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

TOF
    Rita Ross is obviously one of those that believe no animal was harmed in the making of her hamburger.

If shooting rabbits leads to shooting people then eating chicken leads to cannibalism.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

It looks like Rita Ross has flawed logic . She dose not have enough information to make a logical statement. I guess she thinks that hamburger she ate was picked off the hamburger tree.

Her idea of children hunting will lead to children killing another human is backwards. Often when a child makes that first successful hunt, they feel proud - but a HUGE lesson is learned. That is the that pulling that trigger is final. Once that trigger is pulled on that animal - a life is taken. It can't get more final than that. When a child learns to hunt, they learn life lessons in patience, accepting failure, responsibly, safety and the finality of death. A good hunter knows when to pull the trigger and when to take the finger off the trigger and to let the situation pass.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I don't hunt, I fish, but I believe that Hunting like Fishing or any other sport teaches anything but killing. The kill is incidental, it's about getting to that moment. Learning and honing different skills, the self confidence and sense of accomplishment that comes from being good at something , the pride of providing for the table in a battle of wits, appreciating nature,bonding with family and friends. If Ms. Ross knew anything she'd get her sons into outdoor sports in a hurry. If anything Hunting should teach a kid to respect life. Ms.Ross sounds like the kind of person who should have spent more time with her dad.
    I respect every fish that I take and actually have a great deal of admiration for a worthy opponent.

Man what a pisser!

VIP Member

Thumbs down It continues

This idiot does have a clue about when open seasons are ( v. mating / birth /etc) / size restrictions / etc and that they are set to avoid orphaned animals that are not old enough to feed/take care of themselves.

When it comes to hunting, the motive matters - Roanoke.com
    [first]

When it comes to hunting, the motive matters

When it comes to hunting, the motive matters

Here is another perspective to add to the recent letters about the effects that hunting may have on children, written in response to an original letter by Rita Ross ("Hunting teaches children to kill," April 18).

Much, if not everything, depends on whether the hunting of animals is done for sustenance or for sport. Hunting animals, who in common with our own species can and do experience pain, fear, sense of loss and dread of death, if done for trophies, sport or fun, sends a dreadful message to children of any age, as it demeans our relationship to life and may lower the bar for killing in general.

Hunting often leaves orphaned animals to die dreadful deaths. I would hope that parents would, while wanting their children to learn survival skills, put compassion and respect for life foremost and find ways to help their children develop necessary capacities in less violent ways.

STARFLOWER O'SULLIVAN
    BLACKSBURG
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Thumbs up The drum beat continues

Outrage over deficit comes a little late - Roanoke.com
    [Second down]

Either way, the animals are killed

Rita Ross's letter "Hunting teaches children to kill" (April 18) and subsequent letters responding to it have ignored the most important part of the issue.

A vital lesson of life has been lost. Missing from children's education (and apparently their parents' for the last 50 years) is the fact that your holiday turkey dinner doesn't really come from Kroger or Food Lion. Nor do your hamburger and sirloin steak (cow), your spiral cut ham, bacon or sausage (pig), or your lamb chops (baby sheep).

The main difference between a hunter who puts meat on the table and those of us who buy it at the grocery store is that we are paying someone else to kill the animal for us.

JIM MARTIN
    CATAWBA
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

The responses are right on! Hunting is not what is causing children to turn into criminals. Perhaps the real culprits are weak and immoral parents, broken families, domestic violence, a steady diet of violent and vulgar movies and games, the feeling, communicated to them by adults, that they are 'just kids' and can therefore ignor responsibility and charity, and the ever disruptive hours of exposure to mindless TV shows / commercials. All of this influences, but does not dictate, the choice many kids make to commit violent crimes.

STARFLOWER O'SULLIVAN
    BLACKSBURG
    Listen Starflower...wait....I can't do it...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Family Dinners That Include Meat Teach Children Cannibalism.

Parents that provide children with meat at family dinners can be causing cannibalistic tendencies in young children.

A child who satiates his hunger through eating the flesh of animals can make the next jump to human flesh. This is exasperated when the family eats together and has pleasant conversation, the child then associates the satiation of the hunger and the chewing of flesh with the pleasure of the conversation and the faces of his/her family. This may even cause the child to consume the members of their own family.

After many (or maybe even one) of the family dinners all that needs to happen is one instance of a child feeling hungry without adult supervision, and then he may act out and eat a family member.

It is easy to see how eating any meat (or even vegetarian based meat substitutes that resemble meat) can be a gateway food source to cannibalism.

PLEASE STOP EATING ALL MEALS WITH YOUR CHILDREN WITH ANYTHING THAT EVEN RESEMBLES MEATS!!!

PS.- There is also a concern that children who eat baby carrots may have a tendency to bite their own fingers or the fingers of others.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by me540 View Post
    Parents that provide children with meat at family dinners can be causing cannibalistic tendencies in young children.

A child who satiates his hunger through eating the flesh of animals can make the next jump to human flesh. This is exasperated when the family eats together and has pleasant conversation, the child then associates the satiation of the hunger and the chewing of flesh with the pleasure of the conversation and the faces of his/her family. This may even cause the child to consume the members of their own family.

After many (or maybe even one) of the family dinners all that needs to happen is one instance of a child feeling hungry without adult supervision, and then he may act out and eat a family member.

It is easy to see how eating any meat (or even vegetarian based meat substitutes that resemble meat) can be a gateway food source to cannibalism.

PLEASE STOP EATING ALL MEALS WITH YOUR CHILDREN WITH ANYTHING THAT EVEN RESEMBLES MEATS!!!

PS.- There is also a concern that children who eat baby carrots may have a tendency to bite their own fingers or the fingers of others.
    Bravo! Bravo!

Seriously, you get the prize!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member

And the beat goes on

Best/longest continuing rebuttal string of LTEs I can remember.

OTOH -- I suspect that in their minds it is all about it's hunting, not RKBA. I wish that the Pros were as good in replying to Anti-RKBA as to the anti-hunting.

Just shows what we all know -- i.e., most hunters (and many other "sport" shooters) don't identify with defensive carry or the RKBA in a broad sense or Constitutional sense. "Hey no one is coming after by skeet gun/deer rifle/target pistol/etc."; & "I don't need a...."; & "Reasonable accommodation (not abomination) is...."; etc.

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/203939

Hunting is a safe outdoor activity

Re: "Hunting teaches children to kill," April 18 letter:

Rita Ross makes statements on a subject about which she has no facts or knowledge. According to the Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries, hunting is one of the safest outdoor activities.

The number of deaths and injuries and the number of people who hunt show just how safe hunting is. It further proves how safe firearms are in the hands of competent people.

In the violent, tragic incidents I've read about or watched on TV, not one time was a hunter involved. The only thing Ross had right in her letter was to pray for our children.

Ross needs to get her head out of the sand when it comes to preparing her food. All plants, vegetables, fruits, meat, seafood and fish have to be killed so we have sustenance. She should thank the millions of people who do this for her.

I have hunted since I was old enough to do so. I taught my two sons at an early age. Hunting and killing have never caused us to want to use our guns to harm anyone. Ross needs to apologize to the parents and to these young hunters.

GLENN WATSON
    MAX MEADOWS
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links