Mandatory gun insurance - What a joke!!!

This is a discussion on Mandatory gun insurance - What a joke!!! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 There should be a mandatory 'stupidity' insurance for politicians and news reporters ... Just curious, but what about the 'required' insurance ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandatory gun insurance - What a joke!!!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    There should be a mandatory 'stupidity' insurance for politicians and news reporters ...

Just curious, but what about the 'required' insurance for driving that so many idiots drive around without...I have to pay EXTRA for uninsured motorists...so I'm paying twice.
    Oh wait a minute, I'm sure all the gang-bangers and other assorted dirtbags will be getting their policies...yeah, right!

Oh yes, took the words before I could get to them. Thanks!
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

2. Remove Ads

I am being very polite. One word = Crapola.

I'll be honest. I want to scream every obscenity I know and make up a few every time I see a story like this.

So what would gun insurance look like? The states would require that anyone who owns a gun needs to insure it. If your gun is in a good gun safe, or not operable, your rates would be lower So would the insurance company pay a wrongful death settlement if a homeowner couldnt defend themselves because their gun is in either a safe or inoperable, and ends up dying due to the inoperable discount on their gun insurance policy?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    Still waiting for my gun to jump out of my holster and shoot me...

moron
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

As gun owners I think we should take the issue of "firearm" insurance VERY seriously! I'm not kidding here at all.

The anti-gun lobby will try their very best to make owning a firearm very expensive. If they can't ban owning a gun, the next best thing to do is make it overly expensive. The issue of insurance can get very complicated.

Will the rate we pay be based upon the quantity of guns in our homes? Will it be the calibers of the guns? Or will it be based upon where our guns are for hunting or self defense? This is one "can of worms" we don't even want to open!!!

If they can pass even one national law requiring that we carry some type of liability insurance this will get very complex VERY fast!

This type of legislation scares me to death! We have to do everything we can to "kill" (no pun intended) this type proposed legislation when it makes to the committee level of congress.

This is the beginning of the government being too intrusive in our lives as gun owners!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

That is just another veiled tax scheme; you notice that halfway through the article, the author mentions that gunshot wounds cost a bunch of money? 2 Billion? And of course, he mentions that some of these premiums would go to offsetting those costs..... Hmmm, sounds like eventually more and more of that premium money would get funneled off to -

PAY FOR HEALTHCARE RUN BY THE GOVERNMENT!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member
    This is a very scary idea. Basically because it sounds so much like common sense. Even if you could guarantee that the rates were based on actual risks, what happens to your insurance once you have to use it to defend yourself. You get bumped up in the actuarial tables and your rates go up. How much do they go up? In my state, car insurance can break you if you have a bad drving record. Most of that is affected by your own personal choices. Using a gun in self defense will most likely be intiated by another person than yourself.

Only the good guys would worry about gun insurance . This would be a Joke. People drive cars all the time without insurance and have accidents. This is just another scam to con money out of people. After the BGs commit a crime with a gun and leave is the cost of insurance going to increase for the GGs. Why do we have to pay the cost of some idiot who uses a gun incorrectly or stores it where a child can get access to it or uses it to rob or kill someone. As for the numbers stated for gun injuries or deaths,are they counting war dead & BG who are shot.
    They should prosecute those who misuse guns just like the prosecute those who misuse cars and kill people.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Based on the statistical probability of having to discharge a firearm in defense amortized over the life of the owner I'd say the premiums would have to be pretty low.

After all, there are police officers, and many of them to boot, who never even have to fire a weapon at an assailant over the course of their career. They are in the business of gun slinging and they don't, so imagine how much lower the probability is for the average Joe-six-pack.

How much can the premium be? $10 year? Not that I want to pay it but there would have to be some actuarial justification for the rates. They couldn't just make up a number that "felt good". I'm more concerned about Swine Flu than gun insurance, and I don't think Swine Flu will amount to anything more that a fear-based ratings grab for the main-stream media.
    I'm sure you won't be paying for your own. You will be paying for the uninsured also. Your premium will be used to cover any damages done by uninsured criminals.

Michael

"Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

No matter what you want to call it, it is in direct violation of the 2nd Amendment.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links