Danger to follow the BG?

This is a discussion on Danger to follow the BG? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Shots fired at victim of attempted auto burglary Comments 4 | Recommend 4 April 28, 2009 - 1:47 PM Scott Lawrence & Jennifer Heathcock Beaumont ...

Thread: Danger to follow the BG?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

Danger to follow the BG?

Shots fired at victim of attempted auto burglary
    Comments 4 | Recommend 4
    April 28, 2009 - 1:47 PM
    Scott Lawrence & Jennifer Heathcock

Beaumont Police have caught two juveniles accused of trying to burglarize a car and firing shots at the victim of the attempted burglary when he followed them.

The crime was reported at about 1:30 p.m. Tuesday in the 22 hundred block of South Major Drive.

The owner of the vehicle told investigators shots were fired at him by the suspects when he followed them onto Fannett Road.

No injuries were reported.

The juveniles left in a 1999 Ford pickup.

Police say the vehicle owner followed in a Chevrolet pickup.

Police caught the juveniles near the 48 hundred block of Fannett Road.

Officers say they found a sawed off shotgun and a pistol in the juveniles' vehicle.

A KFDM News crew is covering the story.

Watch Live at 5 and KFDM News at 6 & 10 for our story.

2. Remove Ads

There certainly is danger involved in following a BG.

Depends on the crime and how far away I feel I need to be. Also depends on whom I am with. Too many variables, I think I would help to a certain point and let the Pro's handle it for the most part.

The problem is you never want to shoot at a moving vehicle,even when being fired at,your bullets may miss and kill an innocent,you may kill BG and then his 2000 lb missile takes out a crowd of people,If I'm following the BG's I will stay far enough back that getting hit by gunfire is slim and close enough not to lose them,which can be difficult in traffic,Also if they start driving crazy that's it I'm backing off,even cops have rules
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

That attempted auto burglary should now read attempted armed auto burglary...don't need any more gun laws, just put these two away for a very long time and it will help control the illegal use of guns.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I wonder if the sawed off shotgun, depending on the length, would be a class 3 weapon? Might add to the charges.

VIP Member
    Not defending the BG's but I wonder if it was really a sawed off shotgun. As far as the press is concerned a HD shotgun is going to be a sawed off shotgun. Just like any AK or AR is an assault rifle.

As for following, only if I'm alone (no family member with me) and from a safe distance, on the phone with the 911 operator.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    That attempted auto burglary should now read attempted armed auto burglary...
    Isn't that grand theft auto?

Not cutting short the victim's bravery, but I can't endorse this as good headwork. Juveniles could have led him right into an ambush, with "Homies" all around. Just speaking for myself, I think better idea would have been to follow just long enough to get plate numbers and call it in. I'm pretty sure most LEOs in this scenario would have been a lot more cautious and they do it for a living. Part of the reason those of us who aren't lEOs, and thus are not trained for this type of situation, shouldn't try to act like LEOs. Our job is to protect ourselves and then be good witnesses. My heart goes out for the guy though, that took some grit!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Links