Gun colector w/ a permit to carry concealed found guilty

Gun colector w/ a permit to carry concealed found guilty

This is a discussion on Gun colector w/ a permit to carry concealed found guilty within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Roanoke Times -- Virginia Man fascinated with April 16 guilty of threats - Roanoke.com Man fascinated with April 16 guilty of threats The Nevada man ...

Thread: Gun colector w/ a permit to carry concealed found guilty

VIP Member

Thumbs down Gun colector w/ a permit to carry concealed found guilty

Roanoke Times -- Virginia

Man fascinated with April 16 guilty of threats - Roanoke.com

Man fascinated with April 16 guilty of threats
    The Nevada man pleaded guilty to e-mailing two women who had been stalked by Virginia Tech shooter Seung-Hui Cho.

By Mike Gangloff
    981-3336

A bizarre echo of the Virginia Tech shootings played out Tuesday in federal court in Roanoke as a Nevada man pleaded guilty to threatening two women who were once stalked by Tech shooter Seung-Hui Cho.

Johnmarlo Balasta Napa, a 28-year-old ex-member of the Air Force, gun collector and college student from Las Vegas, pleaded guilty to one count of sending a communication through interstate commerce. The charge, along with a second count that will be dropped under Napa's plea agreement, stemmed from e-mails he sent on April 16, 2008, the one-year anniversary of Cho's killing of 32 people and himself on Tech's campus.

Napa faces a maximum five-year prison sentence and a fine of up to $250,000. Sentencing is set for July 13.

Napa, a short man with collar-length dark hair who was dressed in green jail stripes and leg irons, told U.S. District Court Judge James Turk that he sent e-mails to Holly Huse and Christina Lilick, two women who had figured in Cho's pre-shooting history at Tech. In 2005, the women, then Tech students and roommates in Cochrane Hall, told university authorities they were disturbed by instant messages from Cho, who sometimes called himself "Question Mark." Cho then drew a question mark on their door, prompting an additional complaint. University police told him to leave the women alone.

The e-mail message Napa sent both women contained excerpts from the multimedia manifesto Cho sent to news organizations before the shootings, and also a link to a MySpace page Napa had created as an apparent tribute to Cho. The e-mail address he created to send the messages was seunghuichorevenge @yahoo.com. His MySpace page was similarly titled "seunghuichorevenge" and contained photos of Huse and Lilick, Cho, a collage that seemed to show Cho holding paper dolls of his victims, and a profanity-laced rap song that insulted victims and celebrated Cho's actions.

The page called Cho "a genius who committed mass murder" and offered various threats against the children of rich people. It referred to Cho as having died but returned "and in your mind forever."

Asked by Turk why he sent the e-mails, Napa broke from a pattern of answering "Affirmative, your honor," and "Negative, your honor" to deliver a disjointed account of trying to draw attention to a video game depiction of the Tech shootings and to accounts of college students in Pennsylvania wearing Tech shooting-themed costumes.

He said he had contacted authorities about his concerns but received no response, so he e-mailed Huse and Lilick "hoping they could do something about it."

Napa's attorney, Fay Spence of the federal public defender's office, said after the hearing that her client was diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder and with having a schizoid personality type with paranoid features, but was found competent to stand trial in an evaluation conducted earlier in the case.

He has sent letters of apology to Lilick and Huse, she said.

Napa's plea agreement allows him to continue pursuing a motion asking the court to declare the e-mails not actual threats and to dismiss the charges. Spence pointed out that Lilick and Huse had figured in numerous news stories after granting an interview to USA Today soon after the Tech shootings, and that their pictures were easily found online. Various details of Cho's life included in the e-mails and MySpace site also could be found online, she said.

Neither Huse nor Lilick was in the courtroom. An aunt of Napa's was present but declined to talk about the case.

Spence said Napa had served about three years in the Air Force, working in an intelligence unit based in the United States that assisted military units in Afghanistan, and that something he had witnessed led to a mental breakdown and eventually to a disability-linked discharge. Spence said she did not know details of what happened to Napa because it was apparently classified.

testimony from FBI Special Agent David Frey indicated that Napa was fascinated by the Tech shootings, and Spence said "he was concerned with all the things out there that were parodying the situation."

"He thought it was something very serious that people were making light of," she said.

At the time he e-mailed the threats, Napa already had come to the attention of officials at Nevada State College in Henderson, Nev., where he was taking classes, Frey said. He and another student had quarreled over a class presentation. The other student had told college officials that Napa warned her that her disrespect for his opinions was similar to what had set off the Tech shootings. Napa delivered the same warning to college officials, saying that he would not do anything himself, but that with the anniversary of the Tech killings approaching, others might.

Julia Dudley, U.S. attorney for the Western District of Virginia, handled Napa's case herself, playing Turk a recording of Huse's call to Blacksburg police shortly after receiving Napa's e-mail. Huse sounded distraught, saying, "I don't know if someone's trying to play a sick joke or what. ... I got an e-mail that says it's from Seung Cho."

Dudley also played an excerpt of "Ke Ke Ke," the rap song Napa put on his MySpace page. It apparently comes from an online game made about the Tech shootings.

Police traced the e-mails to a computer at Nevada State College, then arrested Napa on April 24, 2008. He had eight guns, ammunition and bulletproof jackets in the home he shared with his parents and adult siblings, said Thomas Gallagher, a special agent with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Napa's guns included a Glock model 19 and Walther P22 like those used by Cho.

All of the guns were legally purchased, and Napa had a permit to carry them concealed, Gallagher said.

Napa had bought six of his guns in a two-day period in December 2007. Gallagher said gun shop employees remembered Napa because when he went to the firing range to qualify for the weapons as required by Nevada law, he wore surgical gloves and carefully collected all his shell casings to take with him. The latter was something usually done only by people who reload ammunition, Gallagher said, but no reloading gear was found at Napa's home.

Napa had asked college officials about carrying a gun on campus and had been told he could not, Gallagher said. According to his professors, Napa often wore a bulletproof vest to class, he said.

Napa has been in custody since he was arrested. Spence said she will ask Turk to sentence him to time served, put him under the supervision of the federal probation office for five years and require treatment for mental illness during that supervision.

Dudley said she would ask for more prison time.
    Note the gratuitous comments about gun collector and concealed carry.

The RT always finds a way to disparage.
    Last edited by DaveH; April 29th, 2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Add my comment
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    yikes
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

The reference of him being a gun owner and such are not far off the mark for being reported as in context to the whole of the story, especially considering the known background of Cho.

In this case I don't really see it as being all that unreasonable to mention those items of fact toward Napa, and as well his military experience as related to the case is relevant as well.

As we may not like it to be so, there are as fact a not insignificant number of us gun owners who have been, are, and will be crazy in our actions at one point in life or another.
    Same applies for owners of dogs and cars but in this specific case Cho didn't attack people with dog or car he used lawfully owned firearms and he was a college student too...just like this guy Napa.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Lead Moderator
    I agree with Janq!

Gallagher said gun shop employees remembered Napa because when he went to the firing range to qualify for the weapons as required by Nevada law, he wore surgical gloves and carefully collected all his shell casings to take with him. The latter was something usually done only by people who reload ammunition, Gallagher said, but no reloading gear was found at Napa's home.
    That's the really scary part, not to mention seems like he read one to many comic books! Sounds like he does not need to be carrying a gun!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

The rubber gloves should have tipped someone off. That was really odd behavior.This guy should be taken off the street for a few years and the CCW permit pulled.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    The rubber gloves should have tipped someone off. That was really odd behavior.This guy should be taken off the street for a few years and the CCW permit pulled.
    I totally agree.

He is a nut case from all I've read. I have no problem with the police or court action. Also, from what I've seen Judge James Turk is a fair and reasonable Judge.

It's the RT gratuitous comments that get to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    The reference of him being a gun owner and such are not far off the mark for being reported as in context to the whole of the story, especially considering the known background of Cho.

- Janq
    Jang

We tend to be on the same page. However, here I disagree.

The RT is always pointing out "gun owner" when a gun was not an element of the crime.

You never see "knife owner", "dog owner", "car owner" unless the knife, dog, or car were a part of the crime.

In your opinion, would his actions been less of a crime, had he been anti gun?

In your opinion, should nut cases be treated differently by the courts if they do or do not own guns?

I assuming a nut case w/o guns, would lose the right to own guns on an equal bases as a nut case w/ guns -- i.e., an even handed treatment w/ confiscation being a by-product. [Actually, I rather there be no confiscation but rather the gun owner's agent be allowed/required to dispose in a legal manner (give to a relative, sell, etc.) of any private property that (s)he can no longer legally own.]

IMHO -- An Email "threat" is an An Email "threat." An unstable person is an an unstable person. Period.

Unless the actor is a "public figure" they don't need to report his/her past service status, political affliction, martial status, religious affiliation/creed, racial status, opinion of 2A, gun ownership, etc.
    Last edited by DaveH; April 29th, 2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: lost word
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I agree that the mention of guns in the article seemed appropriate to the rest of the material presented. When we evaluate a potential threat using AOJ ability, opportunity, jeopardy - the first thing we note is any weapons or potential weapons.

The court and this article make a pretty good case that this guy has a screw loose and then we find out he has ready and legal access to weapons to act on whatever impulse might flash through his brain? That information may move someone out of condition white and motivate them to protect themselves. That's a good thing.

Dave,

I don't disagree with you that in general the media commonly makes sure to note "gun owner" when as much is little if even at all relevant to the story being told. Directly akin to when people tell stories of whatever and are sure to note the race of the counterperson though only when that person is of a race different than their own. This occurs all the time.

But again my thinking is specific as in specific to this case singularly and as related in context to the totality of the tale as told...in this singular case.
    To note that dude is a gun owner as is related to this case and how he relates directly to the Cho/VA Tech incident makes sense and is IMHO reasonable and even expected, in this specific case.

My prior post was not speaking to reporting of incidents such as this in general.
    I was thinking and looking at this report of this singular incident in specific.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Agree with Janq, the threats wouldn't be such a big deal if the guy didn't have 6 guns, and bullet proof vests. It sounds like he was past the threat stage, moving towards doing something very sick. He certainly had the means. I'm glad that he was taken off of the board in time.
    A nice stay in a mental institution,with good security ,ought to do him some good, and keep others safe in the meantime. I wonder if people like this guy ever really get better ,or will he always be a danger ? Any thoughts ?

This guy definitely had a few mental health issues that need some attention. I'm still sorry that he is/was a fellow NV CCW permit holder. Hopefully some time in a mental health facility will do him some good.

On a lighter note, I wonder if he would mind if I kept his guns for safe keeping???
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Links