GOOD: This Sheriff Has His Head On Right - Polk County, FL

This is a discussion on GOOD: This Sheriff Has His Head On Right - Polk County, FL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Robbery Suspect Dies After Being Shot By Property Owner - Central Florida News 13 POLK COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- A Polk County man shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GOOD: This Sheriff Has His Head On Right - Polk County, FL

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: This Sheriff Has His Head On Right - Polk County, FL

Robbery Suspect Dies After Being Shot By Property Owner - Central Florida News 13

POLK COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- A Polk County man shot at two robbery suspects Tuesday morning when he thought they were going to run him down.

One of the suspects was hit in the head and died, and the other is still at large.

The incident happened near a citrus grove on Rifle Range Road in the Wahneta area of Winter Haven.

Property owner Jamie Jones heard a commotion outside while working inside his shed just before dawn.

Jones told detectives a man and woman were driving away in his Land Rover. He said after they saw him, they tried to run him over.

Fearing for his life, Jones pulled the trigger.

One of the bullets hit 21-year-old Nikki McCormick in the head. While she lay bleeding in the passenger seat, the male suspect fled on foot.

McCormick was rushed to the hospital where she later died.

Detectives aren't sure if the male suspect was hit. The property owner last saw him limping down a nearby street.

The Polk County Sheriff's Office searched for him by air and ground for hours but did not locate him. The sheriff's office hasn't been able to identify him.

Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd says Jones likely won't face charges, and he offers a warning to other would-be robbers.

"The word to the criminal is first -- quit being a criminal, quit stealing," Judd said. "But if you're breaking into someone's house, the homeowner is very likely to shoot you."
    Got to like this Sheriff and his comments. I hope any of you members that live in his county keep him in office.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sounds like a right-minded guy who knows the limitations of LEO's. They can't be everywhere as we all have figured out.

Good for him, but more importantly, good for the Mr. Jones!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Its always sad to hear about someone losing there life over something so petty. They had no idea that today would be there last.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Good comments, great shooting...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Excellent. I like this Sheriff and the Car owner!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Amen to this Sheriff and his common sense. Sorry the poor lady had to lose her life over a freakin vehicle.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Sounds like a right-minded guy who knows the limitations of LEO's. They can't be everywhere as we all have figured out.

Good for him, but more importantly, good for the Mr. Jones!
    Can't recall if it was covered on this board but this is the same county (not sure if it is the same sheriff) where after successfully chasing down a cop killer/shooter the LEOs on scene emptied their weapons. When asked why they had expended x number of rounds the sheriff's response was to the effect because we ran out... Looked it up it was the same sheriff, Sheriff Judd.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Hopefully they'll find that deadbeat boyfriend who would rather steal than work. Just goes to show a life of crime might cost you more than you are willing to pay.

No homeowner should ever face charges for protecting his life or his property. You choose to rob a man you are accepting the consequences.

Thumbs up

Sounds like a good one.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

That was a great thing for the sheriff to say... Awesome!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

That Sheriffs job is secure. Good for him and his town.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    When asked why they had expended x number of rounds the sheriff's response was to the effect because we ran out... Looked it up it was the same sheriff, Sheriff Judd.
    Brilliant! Sheriff Judd is giving some excellent sound bites!

Now that's what I call a Sheriff!

"Looky here bad guys......break in.....ya gonna git SHOT!" "Any questions?"

Also +1,000 for the guy defending his property. The irony of it being near "Rifle Range Rd."
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Are you ready to start fuming here, folks? You read this balanced, factual news story in the original post; now read THIS version by CNN

Sheriff: Law protects SUV owner who shot, killed woman

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Authorities do not plan to file charges against a Florida orange grove owner who fatally shot a 21-year-old woman, saying he is protected under the state's controversial "no retreat" law.
    Bullet holes pocked the windshield of the crashed SUV, and blood stained he passenger seat.

But the woman's boyfriend faces second-degree murder charges in her death, because the woman was shot to death during an alleged felony -- the theft of an SUV.

Tony Curtis Phillips, 29, didn't fire a single shot. He didn't even know his girlfriend, Nikki McCormick, was dead until police showed him an online news story.

Police said McCormick accompanied Phillips as he attempted to steal the SUV from a barn in an orange grove near Wahneta, Florida, before daylight Tuesday.

Grove owner Ladon "Jamie" Jones opened fire as the SUV approached him, according to an affidavit released by the Polk County Sheriff's Office. Phillips fled; McCormick was shot in the head and later died.

Authorities said Jones is protected by Florida's "no retreat" law, which gives him the right to use lethal force if he reasonably believes his life is in danger. Phillips, however, faces charges because police allege he was committing felony grand theft auto at the time of McCormick's death.

"Because his conduct caused her death, he gets charged with a felony," Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said.

Phillips was arrested late Tuesday in Polk County, near Lakeland, after a day on the run. Police said he didn't believe McCormick was dead at first, telling officers, "Of all the times you've questioned me, this is a nasty trick you're playing on me this time." He agreed to cooperate if detectives could prove she was dead.

Judd said detectives called up the shooting story on the local newspaper's Web site and "let him read it online, and that's when he broke down and cried, and gave us a confession," Judd said.

According to the affidavit, Jones heard his Toyota Land Cruiser, parked in the barn at his orange grove, start up before daylight Tuesday. Jones told police he grabbed his gun, a 9mm that he keeps with him while working at the grove. He said he could see two people in the SUV as it backed out of the barn, according to the affidavit. He said he saw the passenger's arm reach outside the vehicle, and believed that person might be holding a gun.

The Land Cruiser stopped directly in front of him, Jones said in the affidavit. He said he raised his gun and pointed it at the occupants, shouting "Stop," but the vehicle appeared to be moving directly toward him.

"Fearing for his life, he then fired what he thought to be six to eight rounds into the front windshield of the vehicle," the affidavit stated.

The vehicle backed up at high speed, crashed through a fence and ended up in a ditch. Jones told police a man jumped out of the SUV and ran away.

Sheriff's deputies found McCormick inside the vehicle with a bullet wound to her head. She was taken to Lakeland Regional Medical Center, where she died.

Jones did not return a call from CNN seeking comment.

Authorities will forward their information to prosecutors, Judd said, but are "not going to file any charges [against Jones] at this point, because we don't see any reason to arrest Mr. Jones," Judd said. "... It appears, at this point in the investigation, Mr. Jones was completely, legally justified in his actions."

A Polk County judge on Thursday ordered Phillips held without bond. A public defender was appointed to his case.

Polk County Public Defender J. Marion Moorman declined to comment on the charges to CNN. "We will, of course, be interviewing the client very soon, and will be undertaking his defense from there," he said.

Phillips told police he assumed McCormick had also gotten out of the vehicle and run away, according to the affidavit. He said he was sorry for what happened "and said he knew he was partially responsible for her death," the affidavit said.

Polk County State Attorney's Office spokesman Chip Thulberry said his office will review the case when the sheriff's investigation is completed.

The Brady Campaign to prevent Gun Violence says Florida is one of 16 states that have enacted "no retreat" laws, which some call "shoot-first" laws. The laws extend the right to use deadly force beyond a person's home and into public places.

"The shoot-first law is not needed," said Brian Malte of the Brady Campaign. "This person, regardless of the situation, may have done the right thing, but he cannot be prosecuted for doing something wrong if he hit an innocent bystander," he said.

Other groups stand by the "no retreat" laws.

"At the moment a crime occurs, victims don't have the luxury of time," said Andrew Arulanandam of the National Rifle Association. "They have seconds to decide on a course of action to protect their lives and their families. This law provides law-abiding people with options."
    Can you believe the sheer ignorance?

My Gosh is Polk County FL the highest crime county in the country?
    I counted about 4 stories from there on this page.

I used to live there, what's going on down there now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links