I just thought my home was safe(not)

This is a discussion on I just thought my home was safe(not) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My dad always said that a lock was only to keep an honest man out. My local news station did a story last night about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just thought my home was safe(not)

I just thought my home was safe(not)

My dad always said that a lock was only to keep an honest man out. My local news station did a story last night about (Lock Bumping) and how easy it is to gain untraceable entrance. A locksmith showed the news lady how to do it and she was able to unlock a dead bolt on the first try. This method will work on any house lock or dead bolt. The locksmith said that they do make some house locks and dead bolts that are resistant to this lock bumping method but it still can done so the only way to make your house safe is to get an alarm system. The video on how to do this is on youtube and it is scary on how easy it is. And the news story also said that if your house or store gets broken into that most of the cases the insurance company wouldnt believe you.
    So does anyone have ideas on how to keep your house safer?
    ""If you dont like America than get the hell out"".

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by zachgry View Post
    ...So does anyone have ideas on how to keep your house safer?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

- Janq
    Or this...

Bump keys have been around for a while. If someone wants in your house or car bad enough they will find a way in. An alarm or big dog are about all you can do. Maybe some cameras that you can monitor through the web or on a phone.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    yes. Get a MEDECO lock. they are bump-proof, guaranteed. You have to have your name on file with the master list or something, so that if you ever lose a key or need a new one made, you must be on the list and provide ID. I love Medeco and the first thing we did when we bought our house was have them re-do all the locks as Medeco locks for us.

The second thing we did was make sure the dogs sleep in the living room, and not in the bedroom. 2 dogs, 275 lbs, 84 teeth. Anyone cunning enough to get past a Medeco lock should resemble a Snausage to my babies.

The unfortunate thing is no device can make home/car/business 100% safe from invasion. If someone wants in bad enough, alarms, locks and other stuff won't deter them much.

However, I'd get the meanest, nastiest, hateful, ill-tempered, most overly protective dog I could find. The little mutt I have has deterred more people from my place than any alarm or lock, so there is some food for though for you.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Even with a very good lock, most doors can be kicked in quite easily. An alarm is great, particularly if they are loud and have lots of teeth. Dogs have specialized in home security for over 10,000 years.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Get a Pit, Shep, Rottie, Presa, etc... and train them well...or if you're not capable of training them properly yourself, get them trained. Shutzhund or Protective if you have the time and money.

Alarms do nothing but make noise and tick off your determined attackers. Good dogs will make the BG's make the noise. Think squealing pig.

Like they say...locks keep honest people honest. I've prided myself for a good number of years now on being able to open darn near any lock in front of me. Deadbolts are no different. I'm not so naive to think that the BG's don't practice too.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    kida an old thread, but I too discovered how easy bump key's were:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ng-worked.html

Here's my extra protection:
    Attached Images

I Use 4

Locks
    Security Camera
    Large Dog (foils surpise entry)
    40 Cal

Crooks have ways. I once saw a door jamb device made from a 2,000-pound bottle jack. It had been confiscated from some BGs who were breaking into houses.

Sadly, not a lock on the planet can stop a device like that because it literally opens the door jamb so wide the deadbolt comes right out. Even a steel framed door can be compromised with one of those and any idiot with a welder and some skills can make one for about $50.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    My dad always said that a lock was only to keep an honest man out. My local news station did a story last night about (Lock Bumping) and how easy it is to gain untraceable entrance. A locksmith showed the news lady how to do it and she was able to unlock a dead bolt on the first try. This method will work on any house lock or dead bolt. The locksmith said that they do make some house locks and dead bolts that are resistant to this lock bumping method but it still can done so the only way to make your house safe is to get an alarm system. The video on how to do this is on youtube and it is scary on how easy it is. And the news story also said that if your house or store gets broken into that most of the cases the insurance company wouldnt believe you.
    I watched that on the local news, Zach. You live in Kountze,I live in Vidor. How many crooks in our respective cities would try this? My point is both of these little towns are not a hotbed for crime. Actually,a lot of people are scared of us. Our crime report in Vidor reads like this: outstanding warrant,DWI,outstanding warrant, and this repeats over and over. A dog that barks and/or an alarm system may be the answer if you are really concerned.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Amateurs, keep your dogs and guns.

I've got them all beat, I'm putting my ex-wife on retainer and putting here in the front room, she's the meanest dang woman I ever came across, pitbull my butt LOL, she's got them beat. Intruders bring it on.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by alan93 View Post
    Locks
    Security Camera
    Large Dog (foils surpise entry)
    40 Cal
    Replace#3 with alarm with cellular backup

replace #4 with a 45 with 230 Gold dots.

Add #5 my wife with her 9mm (shoots like tex ritter).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links