Why should you carry in parks

This is a discussion on Why should you carry in parks within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; BOGART, Ga. Law enforcement officers swarmed a heavily wooded area in northeast Georgia on Friday, searching for a former university professor suspected of killing ...

Thread: Why should you carry in parks

BOGART, Ga. Law enforcement officers swarmed a heavily wooded area in northeast Georgia on Friday, searching for a former university professor suspected of killing his wife and two other people, but the only sign of the missing academic was his red Jeep wrecked in a ravine.

Authorities think George Zinkhan's Jeep had been there for several days, and could have crashed or been stashed there soon after the shootings last Saturday. The professor, an avid hiker, hasn't been seen since he dropped off his two children with a neighbor after the shootings.

More than 200 law enforcement officers searched the dense woods Friday, some cramming into the back of pickup trucks that rumbled down a few dirt roads crisscrossing the forest. Helicopters searched from above.

Investigators said Zinkhan, 57, knows his way around the wilderness, and federal parks officials warned Appalachian Trail hikers earlier this week to watch for Zinkhan.

Yet authorities said there was little indication he is still in the area near the ravine. Athens-Clarke County Police Capt. Clarence Holeman said authorities believe the vehicle had been there for several days and may have been left the day of the shootings.

Zinkhan also had a plane ticket to Amsterdam, and authorities in Europe and throughout the U.S. have been on the lookout.

"He's not the typical type of fugitive police have to deal with," said John Bankhead, a spokesman for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

FBI Agent Greg Jones said a signal from one of Zinkhan's cell phones helped lead police to the Jeep in Bogart, a rural town about 60 miles east of Atlanta. Bogart is about 10 miles west of Athens, where the professor lived and taught marketing courses at the University of Georgia.

Zinkhan's is accused of killing three people, including his wife Marie Bruce, in front of a theater in Athens.

Also killed were two members of her community theater group, Ben Teague, 63, and Tom Tanner, 40, as they gathered for a reunion picnic.

Police hadn't previously revealed a motive, but Jones said Friday that interviews with friends and family indicate Bruce may have been preparing to file for divorce and the shooting likely stemmed from a domestic dispute between the couple.

Scott Foshee, who lived three doors down from Zinkhan, said police also descended on his suburban neighborhood Friday morning as neighbors were taking their children to school.

"Things were OK for a while. The police had told us there was very little chance he was still around so we all started to relax," said Foshee. "And then this morning, it started all over again."

Federal agents revealed in court documents this week that Zinkhan had a flight on Saturday to Amsterdam. He has taught part-time at the Vrije Universiteit (Free University) in the Netherlands since April 2007.

Zinkhan's brother has said relatives have been working to help Athens-Clarke County police and the FBI find him.

Before joining the faculty at the University of Georgia, Zinkhan held academic positions at the universities of Houston and Pittsburgh. He has a doctorate from the University of Michigan and graduated from Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania in 1974.

The shooting victims were members of Town & Gown Players, which was staging a performance of "Sherlock Holmes: The Final Adventure" at the theater. Two others were hurt by bullet fragments.

Zinkhan's wife, had been serving as Town & Gown's president after years of volunteering with the group. Tanner was a Clemson University economist who taught at the Strom Thurmond Institute of Government and Public Affairs in Clemson, S.C. Teague was one of Town & Gown's longest-serving volunteers and was married to a University of Georgia English professor.
    It doesn't do any good to watch out for a murderer if you don't have the means to defend yourself if you run into him,If this guy is in the woods it's very possible he would attack hikers for food and water if he was motivated enough,he has already killed so they can't do much more than he's already facing if he kills again
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

tag
    My uncle and his girlfriend were murdered while camping in a national park.

No carry zones = free murder zones
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tag View Post
    My uncle and his girlfriend were murdered while camping in a national park.

No carry zones = free murder zones
    Amen to this.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Because the right to self-preservation is God-given, and the means to do so are guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I read on article recently about how dangerous it's become on the Appalachian Trail, people wait at crossroads to prey on hikers. Several hikers have been killed on the trails. There are too many predators, two legged and four legged, not too carry. Anywhere.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    I read on article recently about how dangerous it's become on the Appalachian Trail, people wait at crossroads to prey on hikers. Several hikers have been killed on the trails. There are too many predators, two legged and four legged, not too carry. Anywhere.
    I agree 100%! I know someone who stash a Mossberg JIC 12 ga in his pack, not accessible enough IMO, a J frame srong side at the very least!

Scary man! I was worried enough about critters.

You should never be without the ability to defend yourself or your loved ones, no matter what politicians say or what stupid laws they burden you with, your primary duty is to your family

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Ugh, this just worries me. My neighbors -- and their little girl -- are AVID outdoorspeople. They are constantly in remote areas of Nat'l Parks with nothing but a tent and some food. They say they're not scared of Bears or Coyotes, but they won't take any defense weapons (can't you at least carry a Taser so if a bobcat tries to get into your tent, you can do something?). There are things out there far more dangerous than a bear/wolf/coyote/bobcat.

In fact, they're out there this weekend and it's chilling to read this thread!

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Bunny:

Serious comment here--buy them a copy of Alaskan Bear Tales. Maybe it will bring some sense to them--the real world is NOT directed by Disney. I performed the wedding ceremony, some years back, of a military couple and later the wife was killed and eaten by a bear. This last Fall, one of my adult daughters was riding on a trail in our area, with a young lady from our church--they came around a sharp corner and came face-to-face with a griz. It stood up, looked at them for what she said, was probably only a moment, but lasted a long time, then dropped to all fours and turned and walked away. My daughter said, "We were close enough that I could tell its eyes were yellow!" Not all such encounters end so well............

Another reason to carry in the wilderness;

Remote areas are used with increasing frequencies as drug harvesting spots.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
    Sun Tzu

I worry a whole lot less about the four-legged critters than I do about the two-legged snakes.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    I worry a whole lot less about the four-legged critters than I do about the two-legged snakes.
    So do I. If it is not legal to carry, I don't go !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Why should I carry in a national park?

Because I carry everywhere else.......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Scott, thank you for the tip. I will tell them about the book. But they will probably just brush it off like they do every time I tell them to "watch out for bears" when they leave.
    *sigh*

Back to OT, this was on Nancy Grace last night. They played the 911 call from the witnesses. I got the impression that they still haven't found the guy. They found his red jeep, said it looked like it was set up to look like a (phony) accident to that the law would think he was dead, and buy him more time. The guy apparently thought his wife was having an affair with one of the other actors in her troupe. And when a 2nd actor tried to calm down the confrontation incident, he was killed, along with the wife and supposed paramour.

I get that there's probably a lot of passion involved when you think a loved one is cheating, but that's no excuse to take a life. Only in self-defense or defense of others when there's imminent threat, right? If only one of those three had been CC'ing, it might have turned out very differently.

Links