TSA dummy steals cop's gun

This is a discussion on TSA dummy steals cop's gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Baggage Handler Accused Of Stealing Packed Gun - wcbstv.com May 2, 2009 8:01 am US/Eastern Baggage Handler Accused Of Stealing Packed Gun QUEENS (CBS) ― ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSA dummy steals cop's gun

TSA dummy steals cop's gun

Baggage Handler Accused Of Stealing Packed Gun - wcbstv.com

May 2, 2009 8:01 am US/Eastern
    Baggage Handler Accused Of Stealing Packed Gun
    QUEENS (CBS) ―

A baggage handler has been accused of stealing a secured handgun from the suitcase of an NYPD sergeant boarding a flight at John F. Kennedy International Airport.

Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said Friday that charges against 21-year-old Tamarcus Hines include gun possession and grand larceny.

A criminal complaint says on April 22 the Queens resident allegedly took the unloaded 9-milimeter gun from a locked box packed in the suitcase, along with ammunition and a gun holster.

The sergeant alerted authorities after arriving in Orlando, Florida.

Port Authority police say an investigation led to Hines. Detectives say Hines told them he had tossed the gun into a Queens sewer. The gun was later recovered from the sewer by police.

First off, what an idiot! Second, how does one guard against this? (aside from not flying)

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Makes you wonder, why steal it only to throw it in a sewer? Unless he used it to get his daily "pay"...(funny, didn't mention that one)
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Tamarcus should be checking HIS luggage in order to take a loooooong vacation.

I often think about this happening and is a reason that I take my Glock-36 instead of my Kimber Ultra CDP when traveling (smaller loss). The only thing I can think of when at the mercy of the TSA is using a Center of Mass safe and running the cable around something in the suitcase to slow dirtbags down. You're really at their mercy.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The only thing I can think of when at the mercy of the TSA is using a Center of Mass safe and running the cable around something in the suitcase to slow dirtbags down. You're really at their mercy.
    I am packing for a trip to San Diego and I can't seem to find anything in my suitcase to run the COM cable around. I wonder if I use enough duct tape if that will secure it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I am packing for a trip to San Diego and I can't seem to find anything in my suitcase to run the COM cable around. I wonder if I use enough duct tape if that will secure it.
    San Diego? All you can take is a sling-shot anyway...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    There's gotta be a way to rig a taser's contacts to the case of the COM safe. Then set it so that when the safe is opened it gets a good jolt. Might not stop a theft, but I'd feel better knowing they had to really work for it.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    FAA, Homeland Security, TSA all take "loosing" a firearm within the secure area of an airport seriously. This guy is an idiot for not realizing that.

I'm thinking run an eye bolt thru the bottom of the suitcase and then glue the nut so you cant remove it then run a cable thru the eye bolt and your gun safe
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Why didn't the LEO carry it on the plane? Why check it, when he could carry?

Quote Originally Posted by ncglock View Post
    Why didn't the LEO carry it on the plane? Why check it, when he could carry?
    Local LE can only carry on board while on offical business. Federal Agents can carry on board whether on offical business or not.

Sad. The problem is, that while you are required to use your own lock on the actual case itself (meaning, non-TSA approved - only you have the key or combination), its easy to break these types of locks anyway.

I'm glad that at least they caught they guy. Problem is that a lot of baggage handlers aren't exactly of the highest integrity. To them, its just "a job." They don't care about it, and some see it as a way to just "pick up" a few things that aren't theirs.

I bet that if this story had a regular citizen instead of an NYPD sergeant, they'd be blaming the citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I bet that if this story had a regular citizen instead of an NYPD sergeant, they'd be blaming the citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Sad. The problem is, that while you are required to use your own lock on the actual case itself (meaning, non-TSA approved - only you have the key or combination), its easy to break these types of locks anyway.

I'm glad that at least they caught they guy. Problem is that a lot of baggage handlers aren't exactly of the highest integrity. To them, its just "a job." They don't care about it, and some see it as a way to just "pick up" a few things that aren't theirs.
    Where do you get your facts? From the few stories you hear about like this one? Have you had something stolen? I would like to know how you came about this opinion of yours?
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Why not ship it via UPS to your destination? It's a little safer don't you think. Reason I say this is because I'm trying to get my CCW for Puerto Rico. So instead of having TSA steal it, I was going to mail it via UPS to my family's address (if I ever do get it).

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Paco enjot your trip but No you can not use duct tape you are going to open the COM to the ticket agent. Is your suitcase a wheely? Does your suitcasae have a pull up metal handle ? I slipped the COM cable around the outside of the metal tubes that the handle slid into. If not I would likey buy a suitcasse that had something to secure the cable to. The baggage handler is a realy jackass. Lose your job and get arrested for stealing a $500.00 item. Now it if was the hope diamond that my friends is a diffrent story!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links