Citizens Law Enforcment Unit - Page 3

Citizens Law Enforcment Unit

This is a discussion on Citizens Law Enforcment Unit within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just sounds like a bad idea, where would your support come from, both tactical and political. Where would the training and equipment, and uniforms come ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Citizens Law Enforcment Unit

Just sounds like a bad idea, where would your support come from, both tactical and political. Where would the training and equipment, and uniforms come from. How much authority would you have. Seems to me that being a responsible citizen with a cell phone would be more effective with fewer casualties.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

I don't know what it is like out in Florida, but here in Oregon there are Reserve Officers in the counties and a lot of cities. I took part in the training and it was the best year I spent in terms of training. It was the same training the officers got just spread out over a year. I took it to be a Reserve Deputy in Columbia County so I could have a meaningful work study for my Administration of Justice degree program at Portland State University. Something to look into if it is already available instead of trying to start from the ground up...

If it is not available, that is another story. Hats off to those who wish to be active and involved within THEIR community and 'hood. Taking ownership of what happens in your community is a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger P345
    What would the legalities be on starting a Citizens Law Enforcement Division? Training and everything etc.
    Not too long ago, deputization of worthy citizens was done at time of crisis, but with clear/strict guidelines on apprehension and limits to authority. Essentially, a "citizen's arrest" is this sort of thing, without the formalities. Everyone's got the power and right, but it's extremely limited. Can't say that I'd be enamoured of an armed citizen's group patrolling the streets, not without strong training for all. There's already neighborhood watch groups and, frankly, arming them in most areas simply shouldn't be necessary. It's the eyes on the street that's the effective deterrent. Though, I'll grant that in areas of delayed response we've got huge issues to resolve. (cringing) This could be a part of the solution, but I fear it could go haywire with a bunch of little johnny-popguns running around playing wannabe.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Here in AZ we Have Sheriff Joe he has a posse(sp) as well as resverve DS. The difference is the reserve DS have to go to the Acadamy and the Posse does not you can carry as a posse member and you wear the same uniform as DS. To carry as a posse member you must complete a number of training hours with pistol of choice.

While serving as a posse member you have arrest powers and other such abilities as a regular SD or reserve. I forget the thing you can't do but one of them is you do not have the off duty support that the SD and reserves have. (I think).

All in all it seems like a good deal. It is a little better for those who want to go reserve but don't have the time for the acadamy.

Will
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. 2nd Amendment.

For Those Who FOUGHT For It FREEDOM Has a Flavor the Protected WILL NEVER KNOW.
    SEMPER FI!!

Realistically ......

I think there would be entirely too many

Wannabes

Rambos

and Police Academy drop outs

applying for something like that.

and I remember what a Self Defense Instuctor told me once :

"A little training is a dangerous thing."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links