Only 10 years

Only 10 years

This is a discussion on Only 10 years within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Supreme Court disappoints a bumbling bank robber | csmonitor.com Supreme Court disappoints a bumbling bank robber His mandatory sentence for a gun crime applies, justices ...

Thread: Only 10 years

VIP Member

Only 10 years

Supreme Court disappoints a bumbling bank robber | csmonitor.com

Supreme Court disappoints a bumbling bank robber
    His mandatory sentence for a gun crime applies, justices find, though the weapon discharged by accident.

By Warren Richey | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor
    from the April 30, 2009 edition

Washington - Sometimes even a bumbling bank robber gets his day at the US Supreme Court.

Christopher Michael Dean's day arrived on Wednesday, though he almost certainly won't like the result.

At issue in Dean v. US was whether the bandit deserved to receive a 10-year minimum mandatory sentence because his gun accidentally discharged during a bank heist.

The case is one of the quirkier of the high court's current term. Chief Justice John Roberts wrote the majority opinion.

"Accidents happen," the chief justice said. "Sometimes they happen to individuals committing crimes with loaded guns. The question here is whether extra punishment Congress imposed for the discharge of a gun during certain crimes applies when the gun goes off accidentally."

First the crime, according to the opinion: "A masked man entered a bank, waved a gun, and yelled at everyone to get down. He then walked behind the teller counter and started removing money from the teller stations. He grabbed bills with his left hand, holding the gun in his right.

"At one point, he reached over a teller to remove money from her drawer. As he was collecting the money, the gun discharged, leaving a bullet hole in the partition between two stations. The robber cursed and dashed out of the bank. Witnesses later testified that he seemed surprised that the gun had gone off. No one was hurt."

Mr. Dean and another man were arrested on bank robbery and firearms charges. At trial, Dean confessed to the robbery. The judge sentenced him to a minimum mandatory term of 10 years in prison because his gun discharged during the robbery.

Dean appealed, arguing it was just an accident and that the government had to show that he intended to fire the weapon to qualify for the 10-year mandatory sentence. The statute also calls for a five-year sentence for possession of a firearm and a seven-year sentence for brandishing a firearm.

The appeals court disagreed and upheld the longer sentence. On Wednesday, the US Supreme Court affirmed that decision 7 to 2.

"It is unusual to impose criminal punishment for the consequences of purely accidental conduct," Justice Roberts wrote. "But it is not unusual to punish individuals for the unintended consequences of their unlawful acts."

Dean was already guilty of carrying out a violent bank robbery while armed with a gun. His unlawful conduct was not an accident, Roberts said.

"An individual who brings a loaded weapon to commit a crime runs the risk that the gun will discharge accidentally. A gunshot in such circumstances whether accidental or intended increases the risk that others will be injured, that people will panic, or that violence (with its own danger to those nearby) will be used in response," the chief justice said.

Then Roberts offered some advice to the criminally inclined: "Those criminals wishing to avoid the penalty for an inadvertent discharge can lock or unload the firearm, handle it with care during the underlying violent or drug trafficking crime, leave the gun at home, or best yet avoid committing the felony in the first place."

Justices John Paul Stevens and Stephen Breyer dissented.

They say the statute requires proof that Dean intended to fire his gun. "Accidents happen, but seldom give rise to criminal liability. Indeed, if they cause no harm they seldom give rise to any liability," Justice Stevens wrote.

In a response to the dissent, Roberts said it is wrong to assert that the gunshot caused no harm. "By pure luck, no one was killed or wounded," he said. "But the gunshot plainly added to the trauma experienced by those held during the armed robbery."
    IMHO use of a firearm in a felony ought to be a mandatory 20 years to be severed consecutively. Then if it is actual fired...

No wonder the existing laws are of no concern to the BGs. There is little risk in using a gun vs. the effectiveness against the .

Well the Court didn't weaken it even more.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    +1.

You are responsible for EVERY BULLET THAT LEAVES YOUR GUN, whether it was accidental/negligent discharge, or some little kid got their hands on it and...well, you know.

And this was during the commission of a felony! So BOOOOOOO.

Justices John Paul Stevens and Stephen Breyer dissented. They say the statute requires proof that Dean intended to fire his gun.
    Arghhhh!!!!!!! If "intent" was required, the statute would have said "intentionally". Arghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    He gave it a shot and lost, to bad in my view also. Now he wants to cry about it. Some people.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

This dirtbag is already getting less than he deserves IMHO.
    Someone in the bank should have ended his career.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I always thought It was ten years minimum if you used a gun in a robbery , not if you used it and fired it. How is this supposed to discourage the bg not to use one

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I always thought It was ten years minimum if you used a gun in a robbery , not if you used it and fired it. How is this supposed to discourage the bg not to use one
    It seems from the the way it was written up by the legislature that they wanted it to work this way. The question that comes to my mind is why.

Michael

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar

Well

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    It seems from the the way it was written up by the legislature that they wanted it to work this way. The question that comes to my mind is why.

Michael
    It could be because the law was written by idiots?

This question would've been moot if only the teller or bank manager had been carrying. Now THAT's the type of "majority opinion" I like to see.

Hell he should be doing life as far as I'm concerned so ten years is a gift. The gun went off during the commission of a felony, accident or not he was committing a crime.

Had that been a law abiding citizen there would be a price to pay and deservedly so. Unintended consequences or not let him cry to Bubba in the pen.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Links