Tough one

Tough one

This is a discussion on Tough one within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Looks like suicide by Cop. Prayers need for all -- especially the LEO. Officer-involved shooting - KOLD News 13 live, local and late breaking- Officer-involved ...

Thread: Tough one

VIP Member

Thumbs down Tough one

Looks like suicide by Cop. Prayers need for all -- especially the LEO.

Officer-involved shooting - KOLD News 13 live, local and late breaking-

Officer-involved shooting

Posted: May 3, 2009 06:52 PM EDT

Updated: May 3, 2009 07:16 PM EDT

Posted by Martha Serda

An officer-involved shooting leaves a woman dead and police say it all began with a text message she sent.

Tucson Police responded to a home in the 3000 Block of South Land End Road, that's near 36th and Mission. It happened just before 10 a.m. on Sunday.

Family members called police asking them to check on 57-year-old Joanna Lee Smith after she apparently sent a text message to relatives saying, "Goodbye." When officers arrived at the door, they say Smith told them to go away and then officers heard a gunshot.

Police say they broke windows to get inside and found Smith, pointing a revolver at them, and that's when officer Daniel Spencer shot her. She later died at the hospital.

The shooting is under investigation.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I understand what some people might be looking for in a death-by-cop scenario, I just don't know how someone can get to that point. Very sad. Hopefully the officer doesn't take it to hard and the investigation is over quickly.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    My thoughts go out to the Police Officer and to her family.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Another long-term solution for a short-term problem...sad.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hey, what does this mean? " Μολὼν λαβέ "

Quote Originally Posted by redline4200 View Post
    Hey, what does this mean? " Μολὼν λαβέ "
    From Wikipedia -

The Greek phrase Molōn labe! (Μολὼν λάβε; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them!", is a classical expression of defiance reported by Plutarch in response to the Persian Army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons. It corresponds roughly to the modern equivalent English phrase "over my dead body", "bring it on" or, most closely, "come and get it".

Fairly close to "from my cold, dead hands."

I really feel for the officers here. Taking a life not valued by its owner but now the officers have to deal with the trauma of taking that life.

redline, I believe it means "molon labe" - greek for "come and take them," supposedly qouted by the Spartans when asked by the Persian's to surrender their arms.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Links