Briant Rodriguez Kidnapped During Apparent Home Invasion Robbery, Police Say

This is a discussion on Briant Rodriguez Kidnapped During Apparent Home Invasion Robbery, Police Say within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by ABCNews.com: Gunmen Abduct 3-Year-Old Boy from Home Briant Rodriguez Kidnapped During Apparent Home Invasion Robbery, Police Say By SCOTT MICHELS May 4, ...

Thread: Briant Rodriguez Kidnapped During Apparent Home Invasion Robbery, Police Say

As reported by ABCNews.com:

Gunmen Abduct 3-Year-Old Boy from Home

By SCOTT MICHELS
    May 4, 2009

Investigators were searching Monday for a 3-year-old boy who was kidnapped at gunpoint by two men who broke into his family's California home, tied up his mother and siblings and ransacked the house, police said.

The California Highway Patrol issued an Amber Alert late Sunday for 3-year-old Briant Rodriguez after two gunmen broke into his family's home, tied up his mother and her five children, robbed the house and left with the child.
    (San Bernardino County Sheriff Department, via AP Photo)

Police said they had not determined a motive for the Sunday afternoon kidnapping of Briant Rodriguez.

The California Highway Patrol issued an Amber Alert for Briant Sunday night, several hours after he was taken from his home in San Bernadino, about 60 miles east of Los Angeles.

According to the San Bernadino County Sheriff's Office, two armed men broke into Briant's home, tied up his mother and four siblings, stole money and property from the house and fled.

They took Briant and told his mother not to call the police, the sheriff's department said.

Sheriff's spokeswoman Cindy Beavers told The Associated Press that the boy's father was at work at the time. One of the children freed himself and untied the rest of the family, Beavers said. She did not know the ages of the rest of the children, but said she believed Briant was the youngest.

The mother told investigators she did not know the two men."We have no idea why they took the child," Beavers told the AP. "They were strangers to the whole family."

A neighbor, Estela Magna, told KABC-TV in Los Angeles that the mother told her "They said they were going to take her son and take him to Mexico and kill him."

Briant is about 3 feet tall and weighs 40 pounds. He is Hispanic, and has brown eyes and long, curly brown hair. He was last seen wearing a yellow shirt, blue-striped shorts and black sandals.

One suspect, police say, is thought to be about 18 years old, is 5 feet 8 inches tall,'' wearing jeans, a green shirt and a black baseball cap. The second suspect, about 24, was 5 feet 10 inches tall, wearing all black and a white bandana. Both are reportedly armed with handguns.

Anyone with information about is asked to call the San Bernadino County Sheriff's Office at (866) 346-7632.

The story can be found at; Gunmen Abduct 3-Year-Old Boy from Home - ABC News

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

I know they said the father was at work, but I wonder if the parents are separated. IMO that's the best possible secario, that the father had someone kidnap the son for custody. I know that's reaching at this point in the investigation... I'm just hoping.

Otherwise it's not good, even if the threat of death is baseless. There must be more to this story, either retribution for something, or kidnapping to provide a child to another family. Gotta be something going on. Nobody goes to all that trouble to take someone to another country to kill them just because.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Odd story to say the least........bet there is more to come....why take a little kid.......hmmmm......I think something stinks here
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Hate to say it, but when I read this earlier online (I didn't post it, figured it would make it here sooner or later.) the first thought that came to mind was drug related. I'd say dad has some dealings with the local drug lords and they decided to takes some action.

I could be wrong, but that was the first impression.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

that or the father might be in on it
    I don't deal with psychos. I put them away. - Marion Cobretti- Cobra

Yes, I hate to say it too, but random kidnappings like this are super rare. Had to either be a family member doing this, or some drug issue that maybe some of the family doesn't know about (a secret on the part of one of the parents).

In a random crime, there is little to be gained by kidnapping someone - much easier to just tie someone up, take their cash and electronics, and get out.

Must be drug related or some kind of retibution.
    I doubt it is a custodial fight.

Links