Anti RKBA LTE in Roanoke Times

This is a discussion on Anti RKBA LTE in Roanoke Times within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Roanoke Times -- Roanoke VA http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/203453 Second Amendment isn't quite the same In John Wagner's op-ed piece, "Don't abuse 1st Amendment," which appeared April 17, ...

Thread: Anti RKBA LTE in Roanoke Times

VIP Member

Roanoke Times -- Roanoke VA

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/203453

Second Amendment isn't quite the same

In John Wagner's op-ed piece, "Don't abuse 1st Amendment," which appeared April 17, he states, "The inalienable and constitutionally protected right to speak freely is no different than the right to keep and bear arms."

The Second Amendment reads as follows: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I would argue that the two amendments are different because of the condition attached to the Second Amendment. The First Amendment has no such condition -- although, in the next-to-last paragraph, Wagner does write about The Roanoke Times' First Amendment "privilege." Does that imply that some people have rights of free speech, but other people only have the privilege of free speech?

Another consideration is the fact that when the Constitution was written, the extant firearms consisted of muzzle-loaded, flintlock muskets. Does that have any bearing on the subject?

WALTER BOGGESS
    ROANOKE
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    An old and worn out argument, seen many times. I'm sure if the founding fathers had wanted to stick with the arms of the time they would have said so -- that they did NOT means they KNEW guns would evolve and the people would gain all the benefits therefrom.

Anyhow, if anti-gunners want to take that approach, let's make sure they can't use modern day computers and the internet and everything else for their freedom of speech and of the press.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

To put it bluntly, whomever wrote that is an idiot.

By that logic, the email he sent in isn't protected by the constitution due to the fact that computers and the internet weren't around at the time it was written either. That would also apply to a ballpoint pen or lead containing pencil in the event he actually took the time to write that and mail it in. In fact, unless he dipped a feather in a vat of ink and wrote that on parchment paper, his right to free speech isn't protected (once again, by that logic).

I mean, that was what was around at the time the constitution was written right?

What part of "...[T]he right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed" do these people not understand? What is it about law-abiding and responsible citizens with firearms that frightens them so much? Do they honestly believe it would in some way reduce crime? Are they so blind to history that they can't see that it would have the opposite effect and in fact, empower the criminal now that there are so many unarmed targets for them to pick from?

I could ask questions all night long, but I know thoughtful reasonable responses would be ignored from the anti's in favor of their emotional, fantasy world responses...
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Sponsored Links