Bad: Wesleyan Student Shot, Killed Near Campus

This is a discussion on Bad: Wesleyan Student Shot, Killed Near Campus within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; School Placed On Lockdown While Suspect Remains At Large Wesleyan Student Shot, Killed Near Campus - wcbstv.com A Wesleyan University student was shot and killed ...

School Placed On Lockdown While Suspect Remains At Large

Wesleyan Student Shot, Killed Near Campus - wcbstv.com

A Wesleyan University student was shot and killed at a book store and cafe near the school's Middletown campus on Wednesday, school officials confirmed. The campus has been locked down as a result.

An emergency e-mail was sent to students notifying them of the incident, which took place at the Red and Black Café inside the Broad Street Book Store at 45 Broad Street. Officials say a handgun was recovered at the scene, though the suspect was still at large.

The victim has been identified as Johanna Justin-Jinich.

A police source told a CBS affiliate that police know the identity of the gunman. He's said to be Justin-Jinich's ex-boyfriend, who came into the bookstore wearing a wig and shot her point-blank.

Wesleyan President Michael S. Roth sent an e-mail to students and faculty around 3:15 p.m. to inform them of the shooting. "Students, faculty and staff are urged to remain indoors while Middletown Police continue to search for suspect(s). All campus events scheduled for today, including Spring Fling, are canceled," he wrote.

According to reports, police are looking for a tall white male with a lanky build who left the scene of the shooting.

Wesleyan University enrolls about 2,700 students and employs more than 300 faculty members for its 360 acre campus.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Justin-Jinich's ex-boyfriend, who came into the bookstore wearing a wig and shot her point-blank.
    He's going to have a hard time arguing it wasn't premeditated.

One would think that the university would have this incident on video.

I bet that 'email' of a shooter being on campus really makes people feel safe...what a lifesaver!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

Small community

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    One would think that the university would have this incident on video.

I bet that 'email' of a shooter being on campus really makes people feel safe...what a lifesaver!
    I grew up about 15 miles from where this happened, but on the other side of the CT River which runs along the edge of Middletown. This is a small community.

I don't know what it is like these days, not having been there for about 10 years. The area near the school was a tad seedy looking for a very long time, even when I was a kid, but that has nothing to do with this crime.

I'd tend to think that security there is a bit in the dark ages, though that is just a guess. Otherwise, lovely campus, school with an outstanding reputation, and very high admission requirements. At one time I would have given an arm and two legs to get on the faculty there.

An old friend from boyhood practices (if he isn't now retired) criminal law there. He used to advertise that he specializes in defending murder charges. If he is still practicing, I suppose he'll get more biz.

Bought my first rifle at a store on Main St., there... not a couple hundred yards from the school.

That's terribly sad. I have a couple of kids around her age. Her life was just getting started.
    I hope the ex gets swift justice.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Security guard (unarmed) killed at Virginia Wesleyan couple years ago, no one charged. Time to arm up Wesleyan!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member

Incident not at Virginia Wesleyan

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Security guard (unarmed) killed at Virginia Wesleyan couple years ago, no one charged. Time to arm up Wesleyan!
    Shoot happened in CT, not Virginia. Different school, different state.

These jealous crazy "boyfriend" going off the deep end shootings are too common. Somewhere along the way we need to teach our young people to be less jealous, accept loss as part of life, and understand that a set back isn't a permanent calamity in life.

We also have to change the culture, especially in some communities, that women are prizes and possessions.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links