Home invasion and murder: the shooter lived a few blocks from me

This is a discussion on Home invasion and murder: the shooter lived a few blocks from me within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Some guy tells 2 of his thug buddies he knows where a house is that has "money in the house". They break in and one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home invasion and murder: the shooter lived a few blocks from me

Home invasion and murder: the shooter lived a few blocks from me

Some guy tells 2 of his thug buddies he knows where a house is that has "money in the house". They break in and one thug shoots the homeowner in his bed, killing him. They get no money. Now the shooter will serve a 31-year sentence where he must serve all 31 years. That's rare to serve the entire sentence.

My guess is no alarm on the house and no dogs. No mention of any guns in the victim's house. Obviously none were used in defense.

The shooter lived about 3 minutes from me. I've been in/through that neighborhood many times. A few months ago I picked up some firewood from a person who lives a few houses down from this guy. Of course I was carrying at the time. I don't need another reason to always carry while out running errands, but if I did, this would suffice. You never know who is living in the neighborhoods around you, or even your own if it is big enough.

Missouri man gets 31 years in Alton murder | smith, evans, vehicle - Local News - The Telegraph
    Missouri man gets 31 years in Alton murder

May 5, 2009 - 10:28 PM
    By SANFORD J. SCHMIDT
    The Telegraph

EDWARDSVILLE - A murderer who was undone by the global positioning system on a Hummer pleaded guilty Tuesday in exchange for a 31-year prison term.

Damon T. Beach, 35, of St. Peters, Mo., will have to serve 100 percent of the sentence, Associate Judge James Hackett said. Charges of aggravated battery with a firearm and armed robbery were dropped in Madison County Circuit Court.

Assistant Madison County State's Attorney Jennifer Vucich told the judge that, had there been a trial, the evidence would have shown that a co-defendant, Qirshton D. Smith of the first block of Manor Court, Alton, drove Beach and co-defendant Johnnie L. Evans, 37, of St. Louis, to the home of the victim, Frank J. Smith, 54, of the 900 block of Brown Street in Alton, on Dec. 31.

Vucich said Qirshton Smith, a woman who is not related to the victim, waited outside in the Hummer while Evans and Beach broke into the house. Evans waited in the doorway while Beach went into the bedroom where the victim was sleeping and shot him to death.

Qirshton Smith had told the two men that there was money in the house, and the three decided to rob Frank Smith; however, they got no money out of the crime, said Lt. David Hayes, chief of detectives for the Alton Police Department.

The victim's nephew, Shannon Smith, who was in the house at the time of the shooting, also would have testified, Vucich said.

Evans and Qirshton Smith also have been charged with first-degree murder and are awaiting trial.

Hayes said police received information that the Hummer was used in the crime, and they used the GPS system to track the vehicle to St. Louis, where officers put it under surveillance.

From that information, they contacted the owner, who had loaned the vehicle to Evans. Qirshton Smith also was linked to the vehicle, and she made a statement to police, authorities said.

Hayes previously said that the case was helped along by cooperation of witnesses in the area of Brown Street and Highland Avenue who spotted the vehicle. That cooperation was a key element in solving the case, he said.

Beach has a criminal history dating to 1992, when he was convicted of second-degree burglary. He was sentenced to five years of probation, but his probation later was revoked, and he was sentenced to seven years in prison.

He also has been convicted of another second-degree burglary, stealing, second-degree robbery, stealing a motor vehicle and non-support. All are Missouri charges.

2. Remove Ads

Hope this dirtbag's friends get the same treatment.

Shouldn't ALL sentences be served in their entirety? It would help keep instant repeaters down to a minimum.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

All guilty of murder
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Hope this dirtbag's friends get the same treatment.

Shouldn't ALL sentences be served in their entirety? It would help keep instant repeaters down to a minimum.
    Gotta disagree with you on this one.
    The perp should get life. As in forfeit his life for the murder. As it is, society will have to now pay for his incarceration for 31 years unless he dies sooner while in prison. An eye for an eye.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

you said it grady, you never know who's living in your neighborhood
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Hayes said police received information that the Hummer was used in the crime, and they used the GPS system to track the vehicle to St. Louis, where officers put it under surveillance.
    I wonder what that Hummer will go for at the police auction?

Pretty bad deal all the way around. Apparently the homeowner who was killed had no means to alert him of an intrusion in the middle of the night.

If you can't afford an alarm system, you should at least get acquainted with "man's best friend!" A good dog to watch your back at night may have helped.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    How sad!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

How do they come up with 31 years??
    Why is the BG not already standing in front of a firing squad??

Only 31 years ?
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

You mean in Missouri, a person can break into someone's home, kill them, get no money or stuff and when caught, only get 31 years???

Man, that sounds like a sweet deal for killers. What he should have recieved was the same as he gave. That just sucks big time.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I don't understand why the liberal babies insist that every life is worth something. "Maybe they can change". Tell that to the victim and their family. Only 31 years for killing someone... in cold blood... in their sleep? IMHO, if you kill someone in cold blood, you deserve nothing less than to be killed back.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

This sounds more like a murder one case.I think all the dirt bags involved in this should be charged with murder one and all should receive the death penalty. I think our justice system is screwed up when it comes murder. A 31 year sentence for a cold murder is a joke and a slap in the face for the victim and his family.

Call me callous, but how in the heck do you think you could rehabilitate a man who shoots another man while he is sleeping. Life sentence at least.

sorry I disagree with all of you abut life in prison I am more for a appropriate punishment for something like this.... say tree shredder feet first slow feed oh yeah and charge pay per view on ESPN!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    This sounds more like a murder one case.I think all the dirt bags involved in this should be charged with murder one and all should receive the death penalty. I think our justice system is screwed up when it comes murder. A 31 year sentence for a cold murder is a joke and a slap in the face for the victim and his family.
    I agree, they are all just as guilty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links