Ugly: Motorist runs down Jr High students, apparently intentionally

This is a discussion on Ugly: Motorist runs down Jr High students, apparently intentionally within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Car runs over 6 students - Salt Lake Tribune Car runs over 6 students Accident The vehicle drove onto the sidewalk; all victims are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly: Motorist runs down Jr High students, apparently intentionally

Car runs over 6 students - Salt Lake Tribune

Car runs over 6 students
    Accident The vehicle drove onto the sidewalk; all victims are expected to survive.

By Nate Carlisle

The Salt Lake Tribune
    Updated: 05/07/2009 07:50:19 AM MDT

Kearns Thirteen-year-old Kelsey Montoya was walking home from school when she looked across the street and saw a car drive onto the sidewalk, brush against a fence and then run over her classmates.

"He already hit the first group of kids," Kelsey said, "and he was trying to get away."

The car struck six boys. When it crashed, "A lot of people were crying," Kelsey said.

All six boys are expected to survive. Three had to go to hospitals, including one boy who was on the car when it flipped, said Salt Lake County sheriff's Lt. Don Hutson. The car landed on the boy.

Hutson said the car appeared to travel 20 mph to 30 mph, but some witnesses said they heard the car accelerate before it crashed. Hutson said there were no signs the driver, Luka Wall Kang, tried to dodge the children and marks on the pavement indicate he tried to keep the car on the sidewalk.

At about 3:10 p.m., students were leaving Kearns Junior High School and walking home. Kelsey said she was with a group of classmates, walking south on 4015 West near 5600 South. Kelsey crossed to the east side of 4015 West when she heard and saw the Camry on the opposite side of the street.

The car hit or clipped one set of boys on the sidewalk, then returned to the street, Kelsey said. But when other cars blocked the Camry, Kelsey said, it returned to the sidewalk, where it struck other boys walking home from school.

Calvin Kincaid, who lives on 4015 West, was taking out his garbage when he heard honking and yelling. When Kincaid turned around, "I saw a kid flying through the air," he said.

He ran to the first boy that fell off the car, then heard a bang and looked down the street and saw that the Camry had flipped.

The car hit a short, stone retaining wall and overturned. One boy was still on the car when it flipped, Hutson said, and the Camry landed on him. The crash occurred about 1 blocks from where the car hit the first boys.

All the boys were in the seventh or eighth grade, Kelsey said.

Kincaid said the car began to smoke with the driver still inside hanging by his seat belt. Kincaid ran to the car and pulled the driver from it.

Alicia Olson, Kelsey's mother, was driving north on 4015 West when she saw the southbound Camry traveling on the sidewalk. She watched as the Camry began hitting the children.

Olson parked her vehicle and ran to the aid of the Camry driver; she and Kincaid helped strap the driver to a backboard while paramedics worked on him.

"He was real lethargic," Olson said. "They kept asking him if he knew his name and he didn't say anything."

Olson and some other witnesses reported there was a passenger in the car whose head was out the window yelling at children. But Hutson said police found no signs of a second person and believe the witnesses confused some of the boys stuck on or flying off the car for a passenger.

Police: Motorist aimed at group of Kearns students - Salt Lake Tribune

Police: Motorist aimed at group of Kearns students
    Safety Deputies investigating inconsistencies in the driver's story.

By Melinda Rogers

And Lindsay Whitehurst

The Salt Lake Tribune
    Updated: 05/07/2009 09:40:11 PM MDT

Kearns Police have arrested a man they believe purposely ran his car into six children walking home from Kearns Junior High on Wednesday.

As rattled parents and students tried to make sense of the bizarre incident Thursday, police continued to investigate why Luka Wall Kang, a 50-year-old Sudanese refugee, allegedly drove into the group of students on a sidewalk at 4015 West near 5600 South as children streamed home from school around 3:10 p.m.

Three boys hospitalized after they were hit by Kang weren't seriously hurt and are on the mend, said Salt Lake County sheriff's spokesman Don Hutson. The other three were treated at the scene. All of the injured students were home from the hospital by the end of the day Thursday, he said.

According to the Arizona Refugee Resettlement Program, Kang is a refugee from Sudan who came to the U.S. in May 2003 through Jewish Refugee Resettlement of Southern Arizona.

Records show he lived in Tuscon, Ariz., and Omaha, Neb., before arriving in Kearns "a few months ago," Hutson said.

Kang told police that he suffered from depression and was frustrated over his lack of employment, Hutson said.

"His offering of an explanation was 'I'm very upset. I'm depressed.' He was he was almost to the point of being suicidal," Hutson said.

Kang's roommate, Gak Dohl, of Kearns, said Kang suffered an injury when his eyes were splashed with a chemical
    Advertisement
    while working at a hospital in Arizona. In October, Kang came to Utah to find a job, but could not find work and complained of the eye injury, which caused him cloudy vision, Dohl said.

Dohl said he took Kang to an optometrist who confirmed Kang suffered an injury.

Kang "was a little bit depressed, maybe because he doesn't have a job," Dohl said.

Dohl believes Kang accidently drove onto the sidewalk because he had trouble seeing. Kang would not aim for children, Dohl said.

But Hutson said there are several facets of the story that don't yet make sense. He said police are puzzled about why Kang was honking his horn as he drove down the sidewalk. And while police say Kang wasn't targeting specific children, it did appear that he was aiming his car toward people on the sidewalk.

Hutson said it's strange Kang was able to navigate around a fence before he continued to drive down the sidewalk. During interviews, Kang never told police he drove on the sidewalk because he couldn't see, Hutson said. And Kang didn't appear to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

"We're aware that he potentially has issues with his eyes," Hutson said. He said police were told Kang was trying to get disability payments, but couldn't confirm if his eye problems are the reason.

Kang was booked into the Salt Lake County jail about 12:15 a.m. Thursday on suspicion of 10 counts of aggravated assault. He had been hospitalized briefly Wednesday for minor injuries.

Kang doesn't have a criminal history in Utah nor Arizona, where his car is registered, and he does not hold a driver license in either state, Hutson said.

Court records from the Tucson Municipal Court show he was cited for three traffic violations in 2004: failure to produce evidence of financial responsibility, failure to carry a vehicle registration card and failure to yield from a private road. He was ordered to complete a defensive driving course for one of the infractions.

Hutson said police are working with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to determine whether Kang is here on a work visa or for political asylum.

Kearns Junior High School Principal Kandace Barber said Wednesday's events unnerved students, who remained concerned about their friends Thursday.

Barber said the school had extra counselors on hand to speak to students who witnessed the incident or those stressed about what happened to their friends.

She said one of the injured students returned to school on Thursday while the other five stayed home to recover.

Barber said she wrote a letter to parents explaining what happened and considered including safety tips in her note. But she remembered the students who were injured were walking on the sidewalk --- exactly the place where they should have been walking -- and realized it's tough to find a lesson in the strange event.

"They were doing all the right things. They were where they were supposed to be," Barber said of the students on the sidewalk.

Nate Carlisle contributed to this report.
    "Active" shooters, now "active" drivers.

Kang told police that he suffered from depression and was frustrated over his lack of employment, Hutson said.

"His offering of an explanation was 'I'm very upset. I'm depressed.' He was he was almost to the point of being suicidal," Hutson said.
    I am sorry this guy's depressed. But go the whole way, be suicidal, not homicidal. Want to take your own life? That saddens me. But, to attempt to murder kids because YOU are down? Give me a break!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    I'm almost suicidal so I want to kill everyone around me.

Brilliant,just brilliant.

The world continues to get crazier by the day.

That punk needs to be tried for attempted murder...no different than if he had shot all 5 of them.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I am so tired of seeing these murder suicide things happening I am with the above if you want to die pay the gun range $50 for clean up fees and become a target...

TOF
    It may be a stretch but I wonder if he had an objective of revenge for our Navy killing his fellow Somalians in the Piracy event of a few days back.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

He is a refugee from Sudan, not Somalia.

If you want to kill yourself and take others with you, fine. But let's get the order straight, practice killing yourself first, then move on to others.

I hate reading about people who want to off themselves and take others with them, what did this group of kids have to do with anything?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

It would've been far better for this guy to find a nice solid wall, floor it, and run head on into the wall.

It's already bad enough to target any type of innocent, but schoolchildren? Come on... terrible.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    How much more play would that have gotten if you replace the car with a gun??

"BAN CARS NOW!!"
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I don't care how depressed you are, don't take it out on others. Since he's looking for a job I say we give him one. Either breaking big rocks into littler rocks, or maybe something where he can earn the money needed to pay for all those kids hospital bills.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    We need more prisons. That's one of a few things I'd willingly pay more taxes for.

That and guns. For our military.

I don't know if this guy is guilty of doing this intentionally or not. He sounds guilty from the story, but there may be other factors. But from the sounds of it, he needs to be prosecuted and removed from society for some time for the protection of others.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    We need more prisons. That's one of a few things I'd willingly pay more taxes for.

I don't know if this guy is guilty of doing this intentionally or not. He sounds guilty from the story, but there may be other factors. But from the sounds of it, he needs to be prosecuted and removed from society for some time for the protection of others.

Kind of hard to drive on the sidewalk without prior intentions...I believe this guy needs a long vacation...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post

Yes because prisons are going to fix it...We need a return to reason, logic, and morality in the vast majority of individuals in this country...that and LOTS OF GALLOWS!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Yes because prisons are going to fix it...We need a return to reason, logic, and morality in the vast majority of individuals in this country...that and LOTS OF GALLOWS!
    I don't disagree with you about a return to reason, logic, and morality, but I just don't see that happening anytime soon. That requires people to not live as if they are the center of the universe, with nothing else and no one else mattering. I think we're losing that battle.

Nor do I disagree about an expanded use of the death penalty. But the majority of our society doesn't seem to agree with me on that.

So prisons are sort of a 3rd option. Not the best, but better than letting the BG's run amuck.

If they won't change, and we can't remove them permanently from society, let's at least keep them away from society for as long as we can.

That's why we need to leave them in their own country. He had no job in the Sudan but no homicidal impulses either gets here and goes loony?
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links