Ugly - Couple kills 7 yr old they "think" was tresspassing

This is a discussion on Ugly - Couple kills 7 yr old they "think" was tresspassing within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; More fuel for the anti-gun crowd. The link shows photographs of the lovely couple. Seven-Year-Old Boy Mistaken for Trespasser Dies From Gunshot Wound - Local ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

More fuel for the anti-gun crowd. The link shows photographs of the lovely couple.

Seven-Year-Old Boy Mistaken for Trespasser Dies From Gunshot Wound - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Seven-Year-Old Boy Mistaken for Trespasser Dies From Gunshot Wound
    Saturday, May 09, 2009

HOUSTON — A 7-year-old boy who was allegedly shot in the head by a couple who thought he and three other people were trespassing on their property died Saturday, authorities said.

Donald Coffey Jr. died Saturday morning at a Houston hospital, less than two days after the boy was struck in the head by shotgun pellets, Liberty County Sheriff's Cpl. Hugh Bishop said.

Sheila Muhs and her husband, Gayle Muhs, both 45, were charged with second-degree felony counts of aggravated assault in the shootings Thursday. They were being held at Liberty County Jail with bail set at $25,000 each and had not yet retained an attorney, Bishop said.

Bishop said the district attorney could upgrade the charges to murder on Monday, but investigators were "still trying to get the circumstances behind the incident."

The boy, his 5-year-old sister, their father and a family friend were off-roading near a residential area about 40 miles northeast of Houston when they were shot after stopping so the children could go to the bathroom.

Authorities said the couple fired after they mistakenly thought the group was trespassing on their property.

Bishop said the area includes a dirt road, trees and overgrown brush and that it wasn't uncommon for people to go off-roading there. The Houston Chronicle reported that a sign in front of the suspects' home reads: "Trespassers will be shot. Survivers will be reshot!! Smile I will."

Liberty County Chief Deputy Ken DeFoor said Sheila Muhs fired a 12-gauge shotgun once, then handed it to her husband, who also fired once.

DeFoor said Sheila Muhs then called 911 and told the dispatcher: "They're out here tearing up the levee, so I shot them."

DeFoor said the levee belonged to the subdivision and was not private property.

Bishop said there was no indication the unarmed victims did anything threatening toward the Muhs.

Donald Coffey Sr. suffered a pellet wound in his right shoulder and his daughter, Destiny, suffered a wound to the elbow. The family friend, 30-year-old Patrick Cammack, was in serious condition Saturday with a head wound, Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center spokeswoman Alex Rodriguez said.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

VIP Member
    Doesn't look like a lot of "thinking" was ever happening.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    I read your post with sorrow as I could only imagined how the shooter would have felt after realizing the consequence of their actions. Then when I opened the link and saw the photos, I didn’t know what to think. I guess I profiled them as the type that simply doesn’t have a clue.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Dirt bags........
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    Looks of those two might be deceiving and misleading, and it is remotely possible that the levee is indeed private property--depends on lots of stuff.

Still, they sure appear to be a couple of idiot, low life, brainless, etc., folks who are headed for murder 1 charges.

Ugly being ugly, send them away.

Prayers for the family, how sad.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

VIP Member
    This is the other side of the coin that old Mr. "You want to make a bet? I'm going to kill them," Joe Horn flipped when he killed those two guys for stealing his neighbor's silverware. Killing people for minor crimes is the wrong answer, period, and the mentality that thinks it's ok to shoot anyone for any perceived "crime" leads inexorably to tragedy...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Once again, another case where homeowners go outside and engage people who they think are BG's and end up in hot water. STAY IN SIDE AND CALL 911! Less people get shot that way.

The look like pretty stupid hillbilly's too me when I open the link and read the story.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    WTH? For tresspassing? Really? Not even a warning shot, or yelling "git offa mah lawn" or anything? No one thinks to call 9-1-1, you just open fire on children?

Tragic and disgusting. Utterly senseless. I have other words for this, but I like this board and don't want to get banned.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

DeFoor said Sheila Muhs then called 911 and told the dispatcher: "They're out here tearing up the levee, so I shot them."
    Hm. "Tearing up" a levee (read: kicking up a bit of dirt with off-road vehicles) is worth death? I'd like to see proof of this torn-up area, and exactly how this was life-threatening to anyone.

Liberty County Chief Deputy Ken DeFoor said Sheila Muhs fired a 12-gauge shotgun once, then handed it to her husband, who also fired once.
    Shot. Saw what they had done. Then, shot again.

The Houston Chronicle reported that a sign in front of the suspects' home reads: "Trespassers will be shot. Survivers will be reshot!! Smile I will."
    If you're going to take the "low" road like these folks did, shooting at children with shotguns for mere presence, then I'd think you'd be far better off to not advertise your intentions about such actions.

The boy, his 5-year-old sister, their father and a family friend ...
    Bishop said there was no indication the unarmed victims did anything threatening toward the Muhs.
    In LFI 1, Ayoob teaches the principles of A.O.J. as the "higher" standard to follow if you want to avoid such situations as these two fine people have created for themselves. A 5yr old, 7yr old and two adults are not likely to have been very threatening, even when taking a pee in the brush.

Ability? Oh, absolutely. The adult male had legs and attitude.

Opportunity? Oh, yeah! The 7yr old was within 50yds and appeared he could run like the wind.

Jeopardy? Doesn't appear to have been any, unless you count the stains on the mesquite brush from the two children's alimentary evacuations.

Question: Is erasure of life justifiable for mere presence (aka "trespassing") in Texas?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sick people! Last year my wife watched somebody pull off the road and grab some tomatoes from our garden. Never thought abought doing anything. We give away bushels every year and they probably needed them more than us. I'll never understand some people.
    Last edited by HotGuns; May 10th, 2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: language workaround
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member

Yes, in limited circumstances

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Question: Is erasure of life justifiable for mere presence (aka "trespassing") in Texas?
    Yes, in very limited circumstances. PC 9.41, 9.42, 9.43. It doesn't appear that these are applicable to the situation described.

The key words as always are "reasonably believes."

Those two are below low, dumb-dirt, and headed for the needle, unless there were other things going on per the above mentioned 9.41-9.43.

Looks like a couple from "Deliverance"...

These two will probably never see freedom again.

What these two did is no different than shooting at drivers in cars from an overpass.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Very, very sad. Ignorance kills (inocent) people.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Links