Just a matter of time for BG's to use Orange Paint. (Merged)

This is a discussion on Just a matter of time for BG's to use Orange Paint. (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tragic: LA-area deputy shoots boy carrying toy handgun Lacking of orange painted end said to be a factor. You know it's only a matter of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a matter of time for BG's to use Orange Paint. (Merged)

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Tragic: LA-area deputy shoots boy carrying toy handgun

Lacking of orange painted end said to be a factor.

You know it's only a matter of time (unless I've already missed it in the news) before the BG's start painting their real guns with an orange tip.
    For God, Family and Country!

Boy playing "cops and robbers" shot dead

Not sure what to think about this one. Sad all the way around.
    My apologies. Child was injured, not shot dead.

Boy Playing 'Cops and Robbers' Shot by Deputy - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

PALMDALE, Calif. — A boy playing "cops and robbers" with a toy handgun has been shot and wounded by a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy, officials say.

The boy was shot shortly Sunday night in Palmdale. Deputy Jeff Gordon says the boy was hospitalized in stable condition and is expected to survive.

His age and identity were not immediately released.

Gordon says deputies were responding to reports that someone was riding a bicycle and brandishing a handgun. They spotted the rider and ordered him to drop the weapon but instead, Gordon says he pointed it at the deputies.

One deputy fired a shot and hit the boy in the upper body.

Palmdale is about 50 miles north of downtown Los Angeles.
    Last edited by MWatson35; May 11th, 2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: My apologies. He was injured, not shot dead.

The fear is palpable, in some places, to the degree that it's impossible to distinguish between a 15yr old boy waving a toy and a 15yr old thug brandishing a gun. One would think that by 15yrs old a person would understand that pointing a gun, even a toy gun, at a police officer simply isn't compatible with self-preservation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

According to this article on the incident, "the gun resembled a black semiautomatic pistol and lacked the orange tip found on most toys to distinguish them from real weapons."

Removing or painting over the orange tip from a toy gun is really stupid, and it's no surprise that it led to a tragedy like this.

God bless the boy and the Officer involved in this tragedy.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    God has certainly blessed me greatly when I've done nothing to deserve it, so I would agree: may God bless the kid with healing and some more brain cells.

And may God bless the officer (who did nothing wrong, in my opinion) with a clear conscience and protection from the press.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Never mind that now days 15 yr. olds commonly have the size and stature of grown men, and in some locales the same mentality as well.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    This is really sad but there’s no question in my mind that this was a clean shoot by the deputy.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Sad. I feel horrible for the officer involved. That's got to be a heavy load to deal with.

A 15 year old kid? Should have known better. A LOT better. But I hope he has a speedy full recovery.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I can't speak as someone with ANY experience here, so I'd love to hear from an LEO on this from their POV. But as a private citizen, hypothetically if someone drew down on me, I don't know that it would stop me from fearing for my life or making a split-second decision to neutralize said threat.

I guess it depends on the circumstances, but a complete stranger? Yeah, I'm not so sure an orange tip suddenly means "harmless," are you? Why on earth would anyone unknown draw down on me, orange tip or not? That's my point, I guess.

For an LEO, it's got to be even more difficult. They're constantly putting their lives on the line with unknown persons. Who knows if the kid was "playing" or just someone who didn't want to get caught, and would take any means necessary to make sure they weren't? We've all seen the Cop shows on TV. It happens often enough.

And yep...I'd think the BGs would be all over that Orange paint. Or else at least smart enough to know that if you point a gun --ANY GUN-- toy or not, at a police officer, there's a high likelihood of getting shot. Period. No?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I grew up in So. Cal. Law Enforcement has been shooting people orange tip or not for decades. It's not reasonable to assume that an orange tip on a gun means it's not real, and So. Cal. is so anti-gun in the big cities - they'll likely outlaw toy guns rather than change police procedure. This plays right into their hands (the anti's).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    You know it's only a matter of time (unless I've already missed it in the news) before the BG's start painting their real guns with an orange tip.
    I find this interesting, because the counties around my area have shotguns with orange pump and stocks. Kinda tripped me out the first time I saw one mounted in a patrol car.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvthesecon View Post
    I find this interesting, because the counties around my area have shotguns with orange pump and stocks. Kinda tripped me out the first time I saw one mounted in a patrol car.
    Probably less-lethal, bean bags, rubber darts, etc.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I grew up in So. Cal. Law Enforcement has been shooting people orange tip or not for decades. It's not reasonable to assume that an orange tip on a gun means it's not real, and So. Cal. is so anti-gun in the big cities - they'll likely outlaw toy guns rather than change police procedure. This plays right into their hands (the anti's).
    What police procedure needs to be changed? Someone is pointing a gun at you and you need a procedure?

The problem here as I see it is either a lack of training on the parents part or a child that couldn't comprehend that training. The cop is in the clear as far as i'm concerned.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Probably less-lethal, bean bags, rubber darts, etc.
    Yep. They showed one on Southland with a green stock/forend. A lot of departments are going to dedicated shotguns (easily distingushable from a regular shotgun by color) for their less lethal rounds after some incidents where officers mistakenly shoot someone with 00 buck because they think there's a beanbag round in the tube.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links