12-year-old boy shoots, kills himself with .22 caliber handgun

This is a discussion on 12-year-old boy shoots, kills himself with .22 caliber handgun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Officials investigate accidental shooting of 12-year-old boy - OregonLive.com A 12-year-old Warrenton, OR boy found a .22 caliber handgun and accidentally killed himself. Thoughts and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12-year-old boy shoots, kills himself with .22 caliber handgun

12-year-old boy shoots, kills himself with .22 caliber handgun

Officials investigate accidental shooting of 12-year-old boy - OregonLive.com

A 12-year-old Warrenton, OR boy found a .22 caliber handgun and accidentally killed himself.

Thoughts and prayers to his family.

2. Remove Ads

A sad situation, but not much info yet.
    This 12 year boy could/should have been trained in the proper use and dangers of firearms...'gun-proof' the kid.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This 12 year boy could/should have been trained in the proper use and dangers of firearms...'gun-proof' the kid.
    +1,000,000!

This is exactly what a close friend and I were discussing last night! Best way to gun-proof a kid is education. Second best way is due diligence on the part of adults, making sure the guns are inaccessible to the kids when they need to be!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Oregonian
    The boy was alone in his bedroom, and had easy access to the .22 as well as other guns, Workman said.

The boy's mother was the only other person in the home at the time of the shooting, he said...

- Project Childsafe
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    Unfortunately, the media will portray this as an "accident".

No accident here, IMHO. Criminally culpable negligence.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post

Matt
    I agree. In FL she could easily be charged......and should IMHO!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post

Bingo!

This and the very many other incidents like it need to be charged and convicted as such.
    Criminally culpable negligence.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

If I had kids, my gun would be locked unless it was on my body. I just don't understand why people leave guns where kids can get them.

Yes education is the #1 measure of prevention. But even still, my educated kid would not have access to my guns. If I was not there to supervise, they would not shoot them, see them, or even think about them. Because they would know they were locked up via that education.

I wonder what the percentage of accidental shootings by children are done with guns that were locked up? Probably 0.0% or something close to that.

This sad story gets told in some variant way too often.

Yep Fatcat. 0.0%

Which is why fact is as importance goes it's the inverse.
    1) Secure all firearms within ones residence;
    2) Educate any and all children who might be resident or have some manner of access to the residence, regardless of how or where the firearms might be secured therein.

Further a great many gun owning adults be they parents or otherwise who have children with access to their home do not by their own choice feel it necessary or even proper to mention a firearm is in the home never mind to educate their children toward what they are and how destructive they can be.
    So for those folk too the above works.

Properly secure any and all firearms to start, and the chances of an uneducated or 'educated' child harming them self or others drops off greatly to near 0.0% real world possibility.

Funny thing is how after these events parents and relatives are all over the news weeping and stating how much they loved their baby and if dead how they'll miss the child so.
    But meanwhile as a point of fact these same people to start were not caring and loving enough before the incident occurred to be proactive in securing the firearm so that such a situation which does happen _weekly_ would not occur in their own home to the child the love so.

It makes no sense at all considering how easy it is to properly secure a firearm and cable locks can be had for _FREE_.

Never mind the additional fact that the same position as an item of education and instruction is a basic tenant of firearm safety rules as taught everywhere by most every instructor from the Boy Scouts to the NRA...

Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
    Many factors must be considered when deciding where and how to store guns. A person's particular situation will be a major part of the consideration. Dozens of gun storage devices, as well as locking devices that attach directly to the gun, are available. However, mechanical locking devices, like the mechanical safeties built into guns, can fail and should not be used as a substitute for safe gun handling and the observance of all gun safety rules.

Source - NRA Gun Safety Rules
    I do not understand how pro-gun and pro-gun rights as well as NRA supporting persons never mind parents who love their children could argue against this and not adhere to same.

Events exactly like this are what the Brady Campaign and others are and have been tallying to use against us all as reason to legislate against firearms manufacture and/or ownership as well as keeping of arms by civilians within homes where there might be children under the position of public safety and protection of children from them self and unthinking or even in many cases uncaring gun owning adults.

- Janq

sorry I am not on board with the keep things locked and inaccessible thought process... At an early age I was taught the proper use, handling and NO TOUCH of a firearm to the extent that in my house growing up there were pistols, rifles, shot guns, compound bows etc; and for some odd reason it worked I guess because I am still alive as many hundreds thousand of others.

Society today wants to protect everyone from themselves instead of teaching and having real consequences of not learning so now we have so many "kids" that cannot do anything for themselves what ever happened to natural selection? I mean lets take this to another level forget firearms for a second how about chemicals, plastic bags, buckets, power tools, lawn equipment etc; they ALL CAN KILL so what you have a locker for all of that as well? Guns are nothing more than a tool just like any other. Education and knowledge of consequences kept me alive as many others.

I have watched so many of my friends kids that were coddled grow up only to hit the real world and get a smack in the face when reality kicks in so they run home and look to the parents for help because they can't deal with it. As an example my friend's son wanted to come over and learn how to operate our CNC equipment but his mother freaked out at the concept that a 16 year old touch let alone use power tools, so how is he ever supposed to learn a skill or trade because the parent has kept him so "locked p" that he knows none of the basics of anything?

Of course if there are children in my home that I do not know or know that the parents have not trained their children my guns ARE LOCKED UP that would be irresponsible of me to put those in harms way.

And of course this is only my opinion I know that others disagree and I am ok with that. (Flame suit is on and ready)

Always unfortunate intentional or otherwise
    2A is not negotiable

Sad situation but the adult in the home is to blame.

Guns should be locked up for more than just the safety of the children or adults that may be in the house at one time or another. By locking them up you also help protect them from getting into the hands of a burglar and then being used in another crime afterwards.

I teach my son firearm safety, and can without concern leave a unloaded rifle or pistol on the kitchen table or where ever when returning from hunting/shooting and he will not even pay it any attention, let alone try to pick it up or touch it.

I do leave a smaller quick access pistol safe open at night on the top shelf of the closet in the bedroom about 5 feet from my bed. There are 3 loaded pistols with an extra magazine for each in it. It remains locked until I put my EDC in it when undressing for bed at night and will be relocked when I get dressed in the morning. I do not worry about him being able to get into the closet, get a stool and access the guns when I am sleeping since most nights I can hear him enter the room on the first of second step and will wake up before he reaches the bedside. Yea, it sucks to be a very light sleeper, but then it does have its advantages.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by IssaquahWA19 View Post
    sorry I am not on board with the keep things locked and inaccessible thought process... At an early age I was taught the proper use, handling and NO TOUCH of a firearm to the extent that in my house growing up there were pistols, rifles, shot guns, compound bows etc; and for some odd reason it worked I guess because I am still alive as many hundreds thousand of others.

Society today wants to protect everyone from themselves instead of teaching and having real consequences of not learning so now we have so many "kids" that cannot do anything for themselves what ever happened to natural selection? I mean lets take this to another level forget firearms for a second how about chemicals, plastic bags, buckets, power tools, lawn equipment etc; they ALL CAN KILL so what you have a locker for all of that as well? Guns are nothing more than a tool just like any other. Education and knowledge of consequences kept me alive as many others.

I have watched so many of my friends kids that were coddled grow up only to hit the real world and get a smack in the face when reality kicks in so they run home and look to the parents for help because they can't deal with it. As an example my friend's son wanted to come over and learn how to operate our CNC equipment but his mother freaked out at the concept that a 16 year old touch let alone use power tools, so how is he ever supposed to learn a skill or trade because the parent has kept him so "locked p" that he knows none of the basics of anything?

Of course if there are children in my home that I do not know or know that the parents have not trained their children my guns ARE LOCKED UP that would be irresponsible of me to put those in harms way.

And of course this is only my opinion I know that others disagree and I am ok with that. (Flame suit is on and ready)
    +1!

Many 12 year-olds are mature and responsible enough to safely handle firearms. They just need to be taught. IMO, the whole 'lock up your guns' mentality is doing more harm than good. If the child has been instructed on when / how to safely and effectively handle a firearm, he will likely never use it carelessly. If, however, the firearm has stayed shrouded in mystery and prohibition, and he finds an unsecured one, he will not know what to do and may have an AD.

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    +1!

Many 12 year-olds are mature and responsible enough to safely handle firearms. They just need to be taught. IMO, the whole 'lock up your guns' mentality is doing more harm than good. If the child has been instructed on when / how to safely and effectively handle a firearm, he will never use it carelessly. If, however, the firearm has stayed shrouded in mystery and prohibition, and he finds an unsecured one, he will not know what to do and may have an AD.
    Really, so any adult even who has been trained in the safe handling of firearms would never use one carelessly.

Just for kicks do a search in this forum for accidental of negligent discharges. There was a poll some year or year and a half ago, and you will find that some of the most "experienced" shooters on this forum have had mishaps with firearms.

I will try to find it and post a link.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Ah yes. Thank you for pointing that out. However, most trained shooters who do have ADs were probably following at least one safety rule, hence the dearth of lethal accidents. If I make the mistake of touching the trigger prematurely, and the gun is pointed in a safe direction, I may have an AD, but no one will die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links