Bad: 11 Year Old WV gal threatens with gun

This is a discussion on Bad: 11 Year Old WV gal threatens with gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 11-year-old W.Va. girl faces gun, assault charges May 12, 2009 @ 07:30 AM The Associated Press Herald-Dispatch.com MARTINSBURG, W.Va. (AP) ó Police say an 11-year-old ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad: 11 Year Old WV gal threatens with gun

Bad: 11 Year Old WV gal threatens with gun

11-year-old W.Va. girl faces gun, assault charges
    May 12, 2009 @ 07:30 AM

The Associated Press

Herald-Dispatch.com

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. (AP) ó Police say an 11-year-old Martinsburg girl threatened her 7-year-old sister with a gun to force the younger child to play with her.

Martinsburg police say the girl also pointed the .38-caliber pistol at her grandmother. The child surrendered the gun after the grandmother made several demands for it.

The weapon wasnít loaded but police believe the girl didnít know that.

The incident occurred Monday evening at the grandmotherís residence.

Police say the two girls argued and the 11-year-old then retrieved the gun from her grandmotherís bedroom.

She is being held at a juvenile detention center on charges of brandishing a weapon and domestic assault.

The names of the girls and the grandmother arenít being released.
    11-year-old W.Va. girl faces gun, assault charges - The Herald Dispatch

It's bad, but could have been much worse. This however is just what the anti gunners are looking for, an excuse to remove guns from people. I hate to see stories like this, especially in my own state.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

That girl needs some intervention -- fast. She's a murderer waiting to be born.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Granny should have had her piece properly secured.

Yep, that too.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Seems like a little butt whooping could of set this child straight.

Mike, if it was my kid, I'd open up a 55 gallon drum of whoopin'.

Man this whole thing just steams me. My kid grew up around guns, knew where they were and was taught never to touch them. This whole situation could have been avoided.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; May 12th, 2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: delete phrase

I believe in gun proofing the child more than I believe in child proofing the gun.I grew up with a shogun either in the closet or in a unlocked gun cabinet and if it wasn't loaded their was ammunition right next to it and I never touched it without permission.

Granny is the one who needs intervention.
    As to the child, something more is going on there amongst that household than this incident singularly.
    Sad.

BTW I wonder who was it that called the cops on the child, and why?!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Janq,

The article didn't really say, but I'm guessing that the grandmother may have called police and the reason may be to scare the crap out of the child without having to do it herself. Maybe they ALL need an intervention?

Kind of makes us West Virginians look like gun brandishing redneck hoodlums. We get bad enough labels as it is without this sort of thing.

sounds like Grandma has lost control! Not only of the gun, but the kids too!
    "Brains before Bullets"

How the hell does a story like this even get out? Did the 7 year old call the cops?

Granny definitely needs to secure that gun properly! This is her fault, 100%.

I grew up in a household in a rural area in which guns and ammunition were immediately accessable by anyone in the house. Dad was, during my grade school and early high scool years, a county deputy and then county sheriff. As soon as I was taller than the 30 inch full choked 12 ga. double barrel he owned he started me squirrel hunting. There were certainly issues in our family during the 1960's when I, my brothers and sister, were growing up but none ever involved a firearm. I feel the difference is in the attitude shown the child. That little girl was not born with the understanding that she could manipulate people with a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by RXtion View Post
    How the hell does a story like this even get out? Did the 7 year old call the cops?

What happened to me? I grew up in a home where all guns were loaded and I KNEW this from the time I was 6 years old and grabbed the .22 and killed a coon in our yard.

The problem may be two-fold. The child has not been brought up to KNOW not to touch the gun from stern discipline of the parent/grandparent/supervising adult.

Secondly, the child feels the need for fear to get her way. No way to guess where this has come from.

BTW, my kids grew up in a home with guns easily accessible. I took them out at the age of 5 and 3 and shot a gallon water jug with a 12 gauge so they also knew the damage that firearms can do.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Granny should have had her piece properly secured.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. What on earth was she doing with an unsecured firearm and two young children around???
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RXtion View Post

ARE YOU SERIOUS?????

So if the 11 year old would have used a kitchen knife in place of the gun, would it still be 100% granny's fault.

I just don't know, from the few thread / posts I have read tonight every one wants to blame someone other than the person who perpetrates the crime.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links